Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Safety When Traveling

There was a thread started about defending ones self with a particular weapon. I did not want to hijack the thread but there is an incident that hit close to home and personal safety is important.

A retired couple disappeared and their Coach was found burnt out and they we presumed murdered.
The story has really shocked our area. The trial is underway at this time.

This is a link to a local newspaper.

Missing couple's son appeals to Vader's 'better nature,' court hears at Travis V

I never ever felt threatened while traveling but my eyes are looking at things in a different light now.
I have since acquired something to defend myself.
In Canada we are not able to carry hand guns. However that does not stop us from taking necessary precautions.

I would like people to read as much about this tragedy as they can.
This was and still is the most unlikely thing to happen in our area.

Your comments on defending you and your loved ones are welcome.

Also because of our laws about hand guns. I would like to caution those traveling to Canada. They are not allowed so other means of protection should be looked at.
No I do not want to start a debate about gun laws. That should be left out of the conversation with respect to the couple I am writing about.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 05:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Situational awareness is the best defense over all, but having a device of some sort is a bonus for sure. I would never tell what anyone needs, its up to the individual.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:03 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
Situational awareness is the best defense over all, but having a device of some sort is a bonus for sure. I would never tell what anyone needs, its up to the individual.
You are so right.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:48 PM   #4

Tragedy can and does strike daily...........

Situational awareness -------- that 'spidy' feeling, gut-feeling----- that 'something is just not right' feeling is REAL.

Pay attention to it.

IF you feel 'uncomfortable' do not be embarrassed to act on that.

And should one decide to have some type of defense PLEASE ---- PLEASE learn/train on it's use.
Many have had a defensive tool TAKEN away and used on them.

Also think long and hard about use of any defensive tool.

[Mod Edits]

Pay attention when you are out and about.......camping, going shopping or just down the street to the park.
And have a plan!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fire Extinguisher Attack Sends 10 to Hospital

I have two by my entrance door and three in various bays.

Blasting somebody in the face with a fire extinguisher will discourage them I believe.

But mainly they are for fire as the standard RVIA fire extinguisher that comes with an RV is useless.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #6

I believe that the intruder entered the coach unnoticed while the driver was out fueling, and either hid until the couple were underway, or took the wife hostage forcing the driver to comply with his directions under threat of harming the wife once the driver returned.

Since hearing of this tragic event, we lock the door once one or both of us leave the coach, whether fueling or just stretching our legs. Reduces the chance of surprise visitors or stowaways boarding while we aren't paying attention.

As this case shows, there is not much that can be done once a villan is in control.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You always have to be aware of your surroundings. I always try to refuel at a place where there is a lot of activity, the doors are locked when I'm outside. For about $20 you can buy bear spray which is non lethal.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #8

Used to do a little martial arts. One of the things we used to try to impress upon our students was definitely situational awareness, but there is a great deal to that. As I roam among the general public, it amazes me how little people are aware of those around them. How close is that other person standing next to you? Are you leaving personal belongings in your shopping cart when browsing. Leaving the car unlocked at the pump when you go inside the convenience store? Could write a book. We used to stress that body language was critical. Can't walk around looking like a target, but you can't look like you're looking for a fight. Usually a perpetrator is looking for an easy target. Don't look or act like one. And one last thing. We warned our students that you can't drive around with martial arts weapons in your car. But everyday legal items can be used for self defense. I was rather surprised when our highest ranking sensei really started focused training using a very short staff (not what they're called.) He related that while recovering from a knee injury, he had been using a walking cane. Legal & same as a shortened martial arts weapon. Personally, the only martial arts weapon I cared for was the bo. I now call it my walking stick. The longer version is what I use on trails. The shorter version is my walking cane as per my sensei.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
So sad that our country has come to this!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
You always have to be aware of your surroundings. I always try to refuel at a place where there is a lot of activity, the doors are locked when I'm outside. For about $20 you can buy bear spray which is non lethal.
Bear spray is a good option when traveling in Canada, but be certain it says "Bear Spray" on the label.

Canada has some ... let's say interesting laws. If you have a small spray can of mace on a key-chain... that's illegal and can get you in trouble.

The difference... one is intended for use against bears, the other intended for use against humans. Weapons designed for use against humans can be a real problem. BTW... never spray into the wind!

I keep both a fire extinguisher and bear spray by the front door, but as others have said, being situationally aware is your best defense. Bad guys are usually looking for an easy mark. If they know you're aware, they know you might not be so easy.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:28 PM   #11

We used to travel with a 140 lb Akita. NO problems. Sadly they don't live forever ,we now have a much smaller dog but he is a barker. Got to keep him from barking for no reason,little stinker. I do have a 38 automatic which I don't like to have but nowadays got to have something.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:11 PM   #12
vod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Tragedy can and does strike daily...........

Situational awareness -------- that 'spidy' feeling, gut-feeling----- that 'something is just not right' feeling is REAL.

Pay attention to !
X2 on this. I have had this save me from probable serious injury or death a few times. Trust your gut......you can recover from a little embarassment, but hard to come back from dead.....
vod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:08 PM   #13

As a former LEO, I have read many good comments regarding this most are great ideas. I do believe that for the most part we all feel pretty safe in most all of the RV parks around, and we pretty much look out for one another whether we know each other or not. That's what I love about this lifestyle. That said we are most vulnerable outside the RV park, stopping at the neighborhood convienience store, fueling up, even churches, whenever we are out and about living life. It is sad that our world has degraded to this, but it has.

Good common sense goes a long way, the first and best is the has already been mentioned, situation awareness. Be aware of what is around us at all times.
When it comes down to a fight you use anything you can to come out alive! Sort out the rest later, as long as you are alive.

Now a little word of caution about about using fire extinguishers, wasp spray and such on an attacker. Yes they can be very effective tools, however as a matter of technicality products which are licensed to be used in a specific lawful way, i.e. Wasp Spray to be used in any way other than its intended use is against federal law (read the label). And things such as this has been in courts and it doesn't come out well. Remember federal law has no room for common sense and reasoning.
As for myself I do have a CCW and train on a regular basis. While I do hope and pray I will never be forced to defend myself or my family in such a way, if forced I will respond in kind. I will defend myself and my family with every thing that I have and with all that I have. I plan to have what I need if I ever do need.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:27 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good advice about locking the rig while pumping gas. I never really thought about that but it is just common sense and I will certainly do that from now on.

In all the years we've been RVing, the incident in the OPs first post is the only one I've ever heard of. Attacks such as these are extremely rare and while you should never let your guard down, living in fear of this sort of thing is unrealistic and counter productive to enjoying the lifestyle.

We usually overnight at a Cracker Barrel on the first night out, I avoid WalMarts because I've seen the late night clientele there and would not feel comfortable. The CBs close by 10pm or so, their clientele just wants to have a meal and move on. We've never had a bad feeling at a CB while I have passed on some truckstops and rest areas because they just didn't "feel right".
Like others have said, trust your instincts.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety, travel