Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's your WD 40 answer:

11. My jacks don't retract fully. What do I do?

• Hydraulic jacks can be cleaned and lubricated on the chrome rod that extends out from the barrel of the jack with silicone spray. If your jacks are equipped with zerk grease fittings at the bottom of the outer barrel then lubricate them with all purpose lithium grease. Do not use WD-40 as it can damage the seals in the jack assembly.
  • For Power Gear touch pad number 140-1179, please see Manual 82-L0327.
  • For Power Gear hydraulic touch pad part numbers 140-1226 and 500629, see Hydraulic Parts and Service Manual 82-L0506.
Has to give you a warm fuzzy feeling, wonder what the goof ball put WD40 on that he shouldn't have.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yeah! I read that before you posted it. I also stated my disbelief at the Winnebago technicians when they stated that. I have not pulled out my supplemental manual yet, but I do believe that they state in there to use ATF fluid, wipe it on, wipe if off. Same as what is posted on their site that you posted. Anyhow, that is what I do, use ATF. I'll try the silicone when I buy some.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #17

Wayne you could be onto something. Air in the hydraulic system can cause creep(liquid does not compress, air does). I right now have a hydraulic jack that, during storage, the cylinder creeps up. Every time I go to use it the cylinder is up about an inch. This did not happen until I added jack oil to it. I think it trapped air in the system.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #18

It seems that there is a switch or sensor that is not being activated or de-activated. Find it and adjust it. Make sure that whatever is holding the base plate on to the unit is tight.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's called a "reed switch" and is locked on the top of each jack. When the jacks are retracted it is supposed to b shorted to ground. My problem is not being able to get under to check it, so I'll leave it for the professionals to check.

Just being able to unplug the 4 wire plug and shut the alarm up has been enlightening.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
How to WHAAA?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
When I saw your post title, I was thinking "could that be an oxymoron?"
I was a little worried about opening this thread at all

A great idea! I think a little bottle jack in one of the basements is a great thing to have.

Many thanks.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wayne'
I fought the buzzer for a year after having one of my jacks replaced by CW.
Everytime I turned left the alarm would go off and drive me to unpluging them from the wiring panel.
At last I was approched at one of the campgrounds by the original Gomer person, tobbaco in the jaw and all. He said to check the fluid level, I thought he was nuts, after all I had CW do the work for $130 dollors an hour.
He went with me and showed me where the resorver was, took out the plug and low and behold no fluid weas showing on his finger, he got a quart of ATF and used my DWs turkey baster to fill the darned thing ----No more alarm, Just a dumb look on my face.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
I had HWH jacks on my previous Adventurer, and they seemed to have lots of gremlins, sticking, slipping, uneven lifting, etc. Winnie dealer even replaced one of the jacks, to no avail. A friend suggested changing the fluid, because of the small orifices in the jack cylinders. I bled the lines, just as you would on auto brakes, and collected the used fluid in a gallon milk jug. I ran at least 1 qt. of Dexron thru each line, and repeatedly cycled the jacks up and down to help run new fluid into the jacks. I was AMAZED at the amount of contamination, particles, debris, etc that settled out of the used fluid in the jug. All my jack problems were cured. Try it, it's an easy one hour d-i-y job if you can access the tops of the jacks, done in your driveway, and costs all of $10 in fluid.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Larry,
Been here done that.

Kent,
Physical limitations preclude me from doing that myself. To look at me you would think I'm just a handsome guy with a motor home, but I do have disabled vet plates. However, if you are parked next to me, or want to come visit, well, I can help you on my system to some degree. (hee hee)
Old 11-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #24
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Okay! Here is a follow-up, and besides the thread name will still get your attention when the thread comes to the "top."

As you can see by the first OP date, it has been some time. Well, I did have the coach in the shop and the problem could not be duplicated. Can't fix what isn't broke. We decided to take a little 10 day or so trip down to Corpus Christi. All was well until we retracted the jacks. The jack down alarm stayed on. No problem, pull the push button panel and disconnect the four wire prong. Alarm went off.

I had it parked here in the yard but because of the slope I did not have the jacks down, but I had it up on ramps to level it. Then I spit shined (military slang) it by hand because we are on water restrictions. After a few days we took it to storage and I put some pads down and deployed the leveling system. I left it for 5 days, went back to check it, retracted the jacks, and the alarm continued to sound when the jacks were up. I redeployed to keep the same problem engaged.

I checked in with Holiday World of Houston, South and relayed the problem, again, that I was having and that I had the problem right then, at that moment, in my storage unit. The service manager stated that they would get out at the beginning of the next week to check it. He called me, we both arrived at the storage unit, he saw the alarm condition as the jacks were retracted, and we discussed it. I was convinced that it was a "reed switch" that was defective.

Now here is the bummer and some background. As I stated in other threads, we spent some time at the Winnebago Service Center in Forest City, IA, like about 10 days. My primary reason for going there was a roof leak, and the jack alarm problem. I will not make this a lengthy discussion of what was not done, but let us just say that the roof leaked after the first fix, and the jack alarm problem never got resolved. I know for a fact that they did not check the PSI pressure of the pump for 1500-1800 psi because they DID NOT have a gauge. I also know that they did not check the reed switches - and PowerGear/Kwikee stated by email to me that the a reed switch could be the problem. Let us say that we were very disappointed in the technological aspects of the Winnebago Service Center. I will say that there personnel were exceptionally pleasant. Enough!

Presently, Holiday World today, made a visit to my unit. I had given them the keys and permission to get into the storage unit. I received an email from the service manager and here is what was stated:

============
They found the front drivers jack to be the cause, but upon testing they found the plug to be very tight. When they went to test it and wiggled it, it shut off the the alarm buzzer/light. The reed switch was grounded. The plan is to go back tomorrow and fill all the connectors with a dielectric grease and put wire ties to keep the connectors tight. They state that this has worked in the past with Power Gear systems.
=========

Ladies and gentlemen, if this solves the problem we will be happy campers again. So until the next chapter of the saga, good night.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
nuff said?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
That's when it is a luxury to need hearing aids, turn them off and forget it.
I had both of mine set up with an "ignore wife" setting!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #27
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I had both of mine set up with an "ignore wife" setting!!
That's standard issue, isn't it?