Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2022, 08:57 PM   #71

Back in the '90s I had a non-linear video edit room in my house. A client had music on vinyl so I borrowed a turntable which was sitting on my desk when my niece walked in. She was 5. She pointed to the record player and asked, "What's that Uncle Peter?" I thought about it for a moment then asked her to please leave.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 10:16 PM   #72

I still have my metal slide rule and my professional wood slide rule from engineering college in the 50's. I look at them a couple of times each year to test my memory on how to use them. My story is that we sent men to the moon using slide rules for some of the calculations. I have never replaced the batteries or had the screen go blank.
JLRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:11 PM   #73

Fun reading through everyone's replies. Manage to I.D. most everything in photo (but was hard to see some of them) Photograph album, Flight Log (pilots), Parachute jump log, Tin whistle, Light meter, Panel mount amp/voltmeter, 3 pocket watches, Various vacuum tubes, 2nd panel meter, wristwatch, Slide rule, 3 frequency Xtals, Compass (magnetic) zippo lighter, Deer antler, Resistor, choke/coil, air horn (bulb), Polaroid land camera, and what looks like a FID, but the partial antler also looks like a FID. In '73 I saved up and bought a TI SR10 for use in first year of college. Was bummed that was not allowed to use as it was decided that it was not fair for other students who did not have calculators. Next was a TI SR11 (still have it) then an HP 41C. Obtained about 5 more HP41C's to scavenge parts to keep it running. When finally died, Received an HP 35s (which could do RPN). When I got my first job out of the navy in '82, I think I was hired because I owned an Apple ][. We actually asked our bosses back then if we could have a computer to help with the experiments we were running. Reply was "what do you need a computer for." We were running a set of experiments at the time that was scheduled to take a year to accomplish. Due to some down time and the "magical" procurement of a Prolog Z80 development system from who knows where, we cobbled together an operational system and interfaces to run the experiments. It was all done in machine language. We also didn't tell the higher ups what we were doing. We accomplished the experiments in 3 months. Needless to say after that we were given a computer system. Never did find out where that prolog system came from.
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:13 PM   #74
sj

I remember learning how to use a slide rule in H.S. Never took another math class.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:35 PM   #75

Smile About those quartz crystals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Boy you are good!
  • The two log book were mine from my college days.
  • The 3 radio tubes are special ultra accurate frequency tubes each with a tiny piece of quart crystal in them. Dad hand made those ultra accurate tubes for the military. All manufactured tubes of the day were compared to those ultra accurate tubes. Each tube has his initials engraved inside them. He also help design and make rugged tubes for use on ships where vibrations from waves, and exploding ordinance would shake the ship destroying ordinary tubes.
  • The 2 meters again are very accurate ones Dad had a hand in making for the military. There is also a light sensing meter in the picture used for photography.
  • The "3 transistors" are actually 3 frequency crystals used in two way stationary and handheld radios. When you wanted to change the transmit and/or receive frequency you would install them in the frequency you were looking for. Dad shaped the tiny quarts crystals that produce the frequency.
  • The "wad of solder" are actually two "wads". One being gold, and the other being silver. These were used to attach the small quartz crystals inside the tubes

Here is another one in my collection. Its the size of a basketball. What is it?
As a teenager, I had a set of walkie talkies that used those plug-in crystals to set the (CB) channel that they would operate on, and I still have the slide rule that was given to me by my neighbor who worked for GE high power switchgear and it has their logo on it.

Coincidentally, I'm just setting up an electronics hobby shop in my RV to make use of my retirement time and just came across one of those meters in my breadboarding kit. I believe the one on the left measures milliamperes, but I can't read the one on the right.

In electronics class, we built a scientific calculator from a $10 kit. This was when the Texas Instruments SR-51 (slide-rule calculator) was popular and right after the nixie tube days. Good memories! Thanks for posting that

And sorry, I don't recognize the big crystal.
Taarnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:29 AM   #76

Ancient HPs & Digital Watches

Remember the first HPs had bright red power-hog LED displays, digital watches too. We engineering freshmen spent a fair amount of time challenging each other with math problems that resulted in an answer of 58008. Then we would turn the calculator upside down and laugh & laugh. Kinda embarrassing what passes for funny when you're 18. No wonder we were in junior college
CW5AVRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:18 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormD View Post
Back in the early days, after slide rules but before electricity was invented, there was the Bohn Context. Depending on the size of the numbers you were working with, and the amount of time available, you could get up to seven decimal places in a division problem. All with no wires, batteries, or solar panels.
I had the kid version of that, which I had forgotten all about until just now. No batteries, no blue screen of death, and pretty fast once you got the knack. That metal loop at the top, aside from being a handy carrying handle, was also the clear ‘button’.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3EFD5B3D-C107-43D9-B78B-52A89C8EAC67.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	353778  
Old 01-14-2022, 05:20 AM   #78

Slide rule was required for HS electronics class.
Instructor drilled us on it daily until we were very good with it.
Years later I taught a radiology physics class.
When a student forgot their calculator and asked if I could loan them one for the test, I would hand them a slide rule :-)
Old 01-14-2022, 05:42 AM   #79

I went through college using a circular slide rule. Like you the cost for an electric calculator was just to high. All my classes had two levels of accuracy that exams were graded on. Boy how things have changed. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 01-14-2022, 05:58 AM   #80

1970 (ish) Wang programmable calculator using core memory. I still have the large 1' X 1' ferrite core memory board that was in the bottom of the unit. You can see the small magnets with wire wrap in rows. Programs were kept on cassette tapes that had to be loaded before use.

At the underground building of Strategic Air Command USAF, when someone needed to service the unit, two officers had to certify all bombing programs were removed before the unit could be brought upstairs to a special maintenance room for repair. Then they would remain with the unit until repairs were completed. If parts were changed, the old parts were tagged and kept inside the building for disposal. Repair paperwork almost weighed more than the unit.

WOW,, I am one OLD guy!
Old 01-14-2022, 07:36 AM   #81

After the Navy, I applied for a job at a semiconductor manufacturer. The operators used slide rules to calculate yields and the engineers used them to do, well engineering stuff. Later I applied for a job as an engineer working for an older 'inventor' who was designing and building prototypes of all kinds of electro/mechanical devices. During the interview he asked a few questions which required either a calculator or a slide rule. If you pulled out a calculator, you did NOT get an offer. He refused to allow calculators in his office! He could do the most complex calculations on his slide-rule about 5X faster than anyone else could on a calculator. Yah, I got the job.
When I was in Russia, I noted that most of the retail sales people used abacus as their computational device. Again, they could add a series of numbers, calculate exchange rate and calculate discounts faster than I've ever seen done on a cash register.
Bob '14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer; Jeep toad
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:37 AM   #82

Used a E 6b circular slide rule when getting all my flying licenses
Holiday1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:50 AM   #83

Forest River Owners Club
Slide rule jockey here. . .yes, still have one.
Antler, slr, candle, vacuum tubes, analog gauges . . .

Antique stores are just old home visits
NeverGrowUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:12 AM   #84

I had a slide rule in high school and early college. Then a TI SR-10 "electronic slide rule" in 1973 and a TI-59 (with magnetic strip storage...woohoo) AND a PC-100A thermal printer in the mid-late 70s. After that I went "really big time" and built my first PC (Poly System 88) from a kit (https://deramp.com/polymorphic-computers/poly88.html).

Tags
slide