Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2005, 06:57 PM   #1

I stayed at the Navy RV park at the Naval Construction Battalion Center at Port Hueneme. The RV park is one of the best laid out I have ever seen.

The sites have concrete slabs that are level, the utility risers have 30, 50 and 15 amp service (every site) there is a seperate non potable water connection for washing out your black tank and sewer hose, cable TV, telephone connection, the risers all have a light on them so you can see what you are doing after dark and all sites have a patio with pick nik table and a post to hang a lantern or light. The grass is well maintained and there are no BIG TREES to block your satellites.

These guys need to teach the civilians a few things about RV park building.

Terry
Alarmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2005, 06:57 PM   #2

I stayed at the Navy RV park at the Naval Construction Battalion Center at Port Hueneme. The RV park is one of the best laid out I have ever seen.

The sites have concrete slabs that are level, the utility risers have 30, 50 and 15 amp service (every site) there is a seperate non potable water connection for washing out your black tank and sewer hose, cable TV, telephone connection, the risers all have a light on them so you can see what you are doing after dark and all sites have a patio with pick nik table and a post to hang a lantern or light. The grass is well maintained and there are no BIG TREES to block your satellites.

These guys need to teach the civilians a few things about RV park building.

Terry
Old 12-05-2005, 03:20 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I experienced the same thing at Kings Bay Sub base in Ga. It sounds as if the service pedestals are the same. Yes, the civilian world can take a few pointers from these CGs .

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:56 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some of the civilian CGs do get it right. We stayed at Rocky Top in Tenn. and the owner was also the designer. While the sites weren't concreted, they were firm and very level. In addition to all of the things that Terry mentioned, each of Rocky Tops pull thrus had multiple sewer connection points so, no matter where your sewer outlet was, it was only a 10 ft span to the nearest connection point. There were nice bushes between the sites that gave you a sense of privacy, too.

Of course, there was an antiquated KOA right next door.....
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:03 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We have stayed at the Port Hueneme RV park. They even had a phone service at each site when we were there. Cable service was also available. It was one of the best sites we have stayed. It was convwenient as we were visiting our son who was stationed at the base.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:27 PM   #6

Fort Lewis Travel Camp near Tacoma, WA would also be at the top of the list. From what I've seen, this one has a little more to offer than the one at Port Hueneme but of course if we are in the area of that Seabee Base, they would definitely have our business.

http://www.fortlewismwr.com/Travel%20Camp%200215.pdf

I might add at this point ...those wanting to stay at either RV park must be Active Duty or Retired Military or a DOD Employee.

Rich - USN Retired from NMCB-1
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:55 AM   #7

There is one here at Ft Bragg. Anyone know anything about it. I am looking into it right now. I first read that it closed Nov. 30 for the winter, then I heard it was open year round. I am quite busy these day with the holidays and all, but plan on calling after the new year for all the details.

I had called MWR about renting a popup. They were $50 per nite. No deal there. At Pope AFB next door, they said they have popups, but won't rent them because they are in too bad shape. Yuk! They must be bad.

I am so glad to hear things about the military CGs. I will have to start looking into the areas we are planning to visit to see if any exist.

Thanks for the info.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:53 AM   #8

Just remember - this is YOUR TAX DOLLARS at work!
Jumbo Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:28 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jumbo Jet:
Just remember - this is YOUR TAX DOLLARS at work! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You might want to explain that comment a bit further for clarification on how it applies here.

Funds for our military MWR's do not derive from tax payers if that is your meaning. The funds come from within, such as a part from our Military Stores, MWR rental fees, etc. Again, in no way does any of these funds come from John Doe civilian.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

Old 12-13-2005, 12:47 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are absolutely right Rich, all MWR funds are derived from within the community. I f you would like to discuss this further Jumbo Jet, please feel free to send me a private Email..

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:34 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
What happened to., "If you don't have something good to say ... etc."

Regardless, our service men and women earned the right to enjoy their retirement benefits. After putting in 20 in Uncle Sam's military it should come with benefits.

I'm a little miffed cause I can't share only 4 year hitch.

Do they have a campground for retired firefighters!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:41 PM   #12

I wonder if he says the same thing about City, County, State, Corps of Engineers and National Parks that are tax funded.

It is like Rich said, MWR facilities are not tax funded, they are "Non Appropriated Fund" facilities which means the profits from the military exchange system, military clubs etc. pay for these facilities.

And even if they didn't I for one would not complain about a few tax dollars going for a veteran of the war in Iraq or any other war for that matter who is still in uniform being able to take their family to a nice park on base.

Tax dollars schmax dollars you ought to be ashamed of such a remark.

Terry
Old 12-13-2005, 09:02 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alarmguy:
I wonder if he says the same thing about City, County, State, Corps of Engineers and National Parks that are tax funded.

It is like Rich said, MWR facilities are not tax funded, they are "Non Appropriated Fund" facilities which means the profits from the military exchange system, military clubs etc. pay for these facilities.

And even if they didn't I for one would not complain about a few tax dollars going for a veteran of the war in Iraq or any other war for that matter who is still in uniform being able to take their family to a nice park on base.

Tax dollars schmax dollars you ought to be ashamed of such a remark.

Terry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Easy! Easy! Easy on the guy ...he just didn't know ...but does now. We need to keep the forum in a very friendly way ...don't you agree?

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

Old 12-14-2005, 04:16 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I don't want to get into a big fight here, but if the money comes from military clubs or stores then the money would be mostly coming from their salaries which is tax payer funds. I don't deny them the campgrounds but it is a benefit that is indirectly paid by taxpayers. The difference between taxpayer paid county, state or federal parks and military parks is that the previous are available for all taxpayers to use and the military parks are restricted.