Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2018, 05:13 PM   #71

We stopped shopping at Sears years ago and will never, ever shop there again. Glad to see them going out of business!! Horrible management experience, including K Mart!
Danesrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post

What the article doesn't tell you is that the two brands aren't compatible with each other. For instance, a Stanley-made Craftsman 20V cordless drill uses a different battery than a Sears-made Craftsman 20V cordless drill. They are not interchangeable.
Oops, I see someone already mentioned this earlier in the thread. My apologies for repeating the same information.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:51 PM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
Fire the old clerk that knew a product line and hire a minimum wage flunky that just runs the register.

Truth right there. I worked with a guy a long time ago. I found him standing in the parking lot for hours. He had two dollies and he couldn't decide which dolly he should put onto the other to make it easier, so he just stood and stared at them. The last time I went into our Sears, he was the appliance dept. manager. They had just a few appliances on the floor. Not too long after that my brother wen tin there and bought a fridge. I went to help him pick it up. it took Sears all day to find it in backs somewhere. The store was empty. Hardly no product and nobody other than this guy in the whole store. It felt like a ghost town. Very eerie.

Their parts dept was in a separate building and those folks knew their stuff. They were busy all day and you could walk in and get what you needed for anything. Like it was in the old days. Suddenly, one day they were closed up and gone away. Now you have to order anything for your Sears mower online and the website is about impossible to figure out. They certainly did not embrace the new online style of shopping.

Sears never did make mowers. Find out who made yours and go from there. Any lawn mower shop can tell you.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:07 AM   #74

Sears was once a fovorite of mine until sometime around the late 70's or 80's, Sears got caught running the "you need this repair" scam in many of their auto shops. It was a widespread national scam. I completly stopped buying from Sears and never returned.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:20 AM   #75

I did not like it when they closed their parts departments,I do not have anything against ordering on line but would prefer buying in person to see what I am getting.
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #76

I remember when Sears had a Scouting department. That's where I got my Boy Scout uniform, handbook, pocket knife, hatchet, patches, and all the other stuff. This was long before the Scouts started going the way of...well...anyway, fond memories.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #77

Another issue is the way we were building malls at twice the rate of population growth for years. Even without the on line competition they would be in trouble now. Here is an interesting article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...f-2017/522384/
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
I remember when Sears had a Scouting department. That's where I got my Boy Scout uniform, handbook, pocket knife, hatchet, patches, and all the other stuff. This was long before the Scouts started going the way of...well...anyway, fond memories.
They now allow girls in the boy scouts so I guess they allow boys in the girl scouts!
Old 12-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #79
RVM #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
Sears was once a fovorite of mine until sometime around the late 70's or 80's, Sears got caught running the "you need this repair" scam in many of their auto shops. It was a widespread national scam. I completly stopped buying from Sears and never returned.
I remember that. My uncle had it happen to him. Went in for service, tech comes and says, "you need a new muffler", my uncle told me you could plainly see where the tech poked a hole in the muffler with a screwdriver. That was it for my uncle as a customer.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #80
RVM #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjeff View Post
I did not like it when they closed their parts departments,I do not have anything against ordering on line but would prefer buying in person to see what I am getting.
Agreed. For me it's still preferable to hold an item in your hands, buy it or don't and be done with it. I order online too, but it's way more time consuming if you have to return something over and over.....wrong part, defective, whatever. When that does happen it's a pain.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #81
RVM #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
They now allow girls in the boy scouts so I guess they allow boys in the girl scouts!
Just read where the Boy Scouts has, or is about to file for bankruptcy.
I don't think it's allowed for boys to join the Girl Scouts....?...but there's still Girl Scouts. I don't get it at all.....ridiculous.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #82

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I've seen Craftsman tools being sold in Lowe's and Ace Hardware now.
Craftsman was sold to Stanly Black and Decker Oct last year.

Stanley Black & Decker has chosen Lowe's as the next retail destination for its Craftsman brand, which it bought from Sears Holdings earlier this year. Sears had controlled the iconic tool name for 90 years. Now, Craftsman is looking to grow with its new owner through other retailers.Oct 24, 2017
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:36 PM   #83

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Just read where the Boy Scouts has, or is about to file for bankruptcy.
I don't think it's allowed for boys to join the Girl Scouts....?...but there's still Girl Scouts. I don't get it at all.....ridiculous.
I am sure boys can't join the girl scouts. Did not know the BS were going into bankruptcy, our (old guys) world is going away. I was reading the other day about brands that will be going away, like Harley Davison, Campbells Soup and Budweiser. I sure have seen things change in my life, we had radio there was no TV, was no AC, I purchased my first car when I was 21 and Sears sold quality goods that you could get replacement parts from them. As previously stated kids running registers that don't know anything about anything there now.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #84
RVM #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
I am sure boys can't join the girl scouts. Did not know the BS were going into bankruptcy, our (old guys) world is going away. I was reading the other day about brands that will be going away, like Harley Davison, Campbells Soup and Budweiser. I sure have seen things change in my life, we had radio there was no TV, was no AC, I purchased my first car when I was 21 and Sears sold quality goods that you could get replacement parts from them. As previously stated kids running registers that don't know anything about anything there now.
Yeah, so does it make any sense at all to have a girls only scouts and no more boys only scouts? So, if I have this right; girls can be exclusively Girl Scouts......or choose to be co-ed in the Boy Scouts, and boys have no say in any of it. I've lost enough hair scratching my head these days, and it ain't due to dandruff I'll tell you that.

Regarding the "clerks" at the cash registers not knowing the products they sell, well, they don't care either.

Yup, you're right Pete.....the old ways are fading fast as this old world picks up speed. We hang on for dear life or get left behind. Hmmmm, which shall I choose for my sanity's sake......I hover somewhere in between I guess.