Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2018, 02:23 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
I am sure boys can't join the girl scouts.
You can't be sure of anything these days:

"But in fact, Girl Scouts of Colorado does allow people with boy parts to join its troops, as long as the child is truly transgendered -- meaning the child identifies as a girl, and the family identifies the child as a girl.

"We feel it is important to include all girls, so when a family says, 'This is my daughter and she wants to be a Girl Scout,' we are not going to question that," Rachelle Trujillo, vice president of communications for Girl Scouts of Colorado told The Times."

https://www.neatorama.com/2011/10/31...he-girl-scout/

Apparently, simple biology escapes some people.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #86

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Sears is like the gooney bird

To my knowledge Girl Scouts is in no way affiliated with BSA. They are separate organizations with separate “ management”
In fact I believe the Girl Scouts aren’t totally pleased with the BSA.
But Sears to BSA? Ok then [emoji6]
Old 12-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #87

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
You can't be sure of anything these days:

"But in fact, Girl Scouts of Colorado does allow people with boy parts to join its troops, as long as the child is truly transgendered -- meaning the child identifies as a girl, and the family identifies the child as a girl.

"We feel it is important to include all girls, so when a family says, 'This is my daughter and she wants to be a Girl Scout,' we are not going to question that," Rachelle Trujillo, vice president of communications for Girl Scouts of Colorado told The Times."

https://www.neatorama.com/2011/10/31...he-girl-scout/

Apparently, simple biology escapes some people.

No comment
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:28 PM   #88

From what I have seen the women's rights groups sued the Boy Scouts enough to get anyone interested in the group to be accepted. The Boy Scouts still focus on outdoor activities. The Girl Scouts had a less outdoor focus that did not suit the wants of many of the girls which prompted the suites the same way they sued to be in Little League. That bleed a lot of girls out of the the pool of applicants the Girl Scouts thought they owned so they sued the Boy Scouts over that.

Here is an interesting summation article:

https://www.weeklystandard.com/mark-...-girls-failure

It seems the Boy Scouts are suffering the death of a thousand cuts between the various activist groups and their core conservative leaning values that most of their supporters embrace. On the other side the Girl Scouts swerved hard left and have take a significant hit for doing it.

FWIW my daughter was a Girl Scout then a leader until she got tired of the politics and PC attitude. Now she is a leader in an Explorer group attached to the Volunteer Fire Department she belongs to. She is not a hard core right wing, actually more left of center in her personal politics but got tired of the strong left wing push.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:30 PM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Here in my town they've made use of half of the K-mart building. Harbor Freight moved in, and a bed store. Other half still up for rent.
The Sears building? Nothing. I'm waiting for the dang roof to fall in and the dozers to arrive. Then all that's left in the once bustling Sears Shopping Center......is the driver license place and the discount tobacco shop.
In my other town (in TN) the K-mart is now a farm fleet type of place wall to wall. Nice place too, forgot the name, I'm not familiar with that particular store chain. But anyway, great use of the building, they have everything too, including free popcorn as you shop. Gotta love the smell of popcorn in a farm ranch store right? They even sell various breeds of chickens (chicks), and ducklings. So far, the parking lot is plum full all the time.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:59 PM   #90

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
On the sidebar subject, I hope what's happened to the BSA doesn't happen to 4-H, shhhhhhh!
I was in that from 9 years old to 19. I'd recommend it to everyone young to join. I recall clearly the girls were happy with their clubs and us boys were happy with ours. Clubs interacted at functions at times, especially county and state fairs.......and everything was fine then, and now. No one feels deprived and oppressed as far as I know.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:04 PM   #91

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
In my other town (in TN) the K-mart is now a farm fleet type of place wall to wall. Nice place too, forgot the name, I'm not familiar with that particular store chain. But anyway, great use of the building, they have everything too, including free popcorn as you shop. Gotta love the smell of popcorn in a farm ranch store right? They even sell various breeds of chickens (chicks), and ducklings. So far, the parking lot is plum full all the time.
You're probably thinking about Rural King. They moved into an old Sears store in our area. The K-Mart store at the other end of the same mall remains empty.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:07 PM   #92

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
You're probably thinking about Rural King. They moved into an old Sears store in our area. The K-Mart store at the other end of the same mall remains empty.
Yeah I believe that's the one! Big red letters, and I think a windmill is their symbol. I love the place.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #93

Jayco Owners Club
Sears upper management just rewarded themselves $25 million in bonuses for losing $1.9 billion. I no longer feel bad for this company.

As far as the Boy Scouts, women are from Venus, men are from Mars, and every other gender is from Uranus.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #94

After reading the management rewarded them selves that much I will never buy from them again,I will get Craftsman tools from the other sources.
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #95

I watched CBS Sunday morning, the topic of Sears was included. My takeaway was, the billionare owner bought Sears and guided Sears down this road for personal gain.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I watched CBS Sunday morning, the topic of Sears was included. My takeaway was, the billionare owner bought Sears and guided Sears down this road for personal gain.
The holding company business model is to buy a large operation like Sears, make it "more efficient" then sell off the higher performing parts because they are worth the most and the low performing parts because they are not up to standard. All those sales generate huge legal fees that are added to the company debt. At that point what's left cannot support the debt and files for Bankruptcy protection. In the meantime top management gets nice bonuses for their astute business moves. If there are some small corrections I'll take them but I think I have the pattern pretty well laid out.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:39 PM   #97

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The holding company business model is to buy a large operation like Sears, make it "more efficient" then sell off the higher performing parts because they are worth the most and the low performing parts because they are not up to standard. All those sales generate huge legal fees that are added to the company debt. At that point what's left cannot support the debt and files for Bankruptcy protection. In the meantime top management gets nice bonuses for their astute business moves. If there are some small corrections I'll take them but I think I have the pattern pretty well laid out.
I think you nailed it pretty good.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #98

I am going to miss the Sears store in my town. It's kind of a nostalgic thing for me. I remember back in the mid fifties our local Sears and Roebuck store moved from the center of the city to a well traveled street into a brand new state of the art three story building complete with a ground floor level six bay auto center. I went with my folks to their grand opening event.
About ten years ago Sears moved into a new store adjacent to a shopping mall. Sears just never seemed to gain any traction after the move but I will bet the overhead was much higher. They seemed to lose some identity.
Flash forward to today. Our Sears store is on the chopping block due to close next month. My daughter stopped by tonight to tell us she had to buy a new refrigerator today. She shopped the internet and local stores to find just what she wanted for a new fridge. She went to Sears to view one she had seen on the internet. A young fellow assisted her and pointed out differences in some of the models they had. He suggested one and after my daughter looked it over she decided it was what she wanted. It was on a closeout sale for a large discount so she told the salesman she would take it.
As she stood in line at the checkout counter the salesman asked her if she had a coupon or a number of some sort. She didn't but said to wait a minute. She pulled out her phone and in no time she found a number on the Sears website which applied to the sale and was good for another 10% off. She gave the salesman the number and got just over another hundred dollars off.
She says she's going to miss Sears.
Lynn