Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #15

Get a reputable company to install an Alarm that is monitored and will be reported to the local PD if you cannot be contacted, thus it becomes a verified response call that there is a problem. You can get systems where if anything other than the power is cut, it automatically alerts the monitoring company, and an audible alarm that renders the crook incapable of being in the house for more than a few minutes. Ours also includes a smoke detector alarm as well as a panic alarm.That's the system we have which was specifically designed, and is pretty cheap peace of mind in my opinion. I'm retired LE and even though we have a superior alarm system, we still have the kids and a trusted neighbor check the house on a regular basis, that always keeps crooks on their toes. Most crooks will go to the place of least resistance unless there is something specific they are looking for in your house that the know about.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #16

We have a monitored security alarm and fire system. I've also installed the wireless Next Cam's which are cloud based. You can program them to alert you on motion or sound on your mobile phone or iPad. You can speak through the cameras. I can tell when the pet sitter is there or isn't. I have the 24/7 day cloud service. Through the the Mac app I can just scroll through the alerts in seconds in any area that has wifi or cell service.

Things we've found: a bear visit to my garage and rear deck - 4 times. The cat sitter forgetting to come the first night - phone call. You can download the video with a click for permanent records. It HD and IR.

I can also look at the outside camera to check the weather before heading up the mountain.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:00 PM   #17

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavet View Post
Does anyone here that still has a S&B and have a security system on it? We are getting SimpliSafe security for S&B and looking for opinions from those that have this system. (hopefully someone does.) We will be heading south for 3 months and think alarm system is a good idea.

cyn
Yes, it is a good idea. Earlier this year we had our cable company install a basic system with monitoring and text notifications. It has cellular backup if cable was to fail. So far it has worked flawlessly and provides a little more peace of mind as we travel. I think the outdoor signs provided by the cable company are a deterrent in themselves. Our local LEOs still provide vacation inspections which we also utilize.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:53 PM   #18

Get an alarm with a loud siren in the soffits. That'll do two things, cause your neighbours to look outside and see what's happening and cause the bad guy to want to get out in a hurry. He may still get in and grab a few things but he won't take ten minutes to search.

All a monitored alarm does is tell the police someone broke in and they'll get there twenty minutes later. However, if the police get a call from the monitoring company as well as a 911 call from your neighbour saying "my neighbours alarm is going off and there's a strange car in the driveway" you get a much higher priority response.

On that note, make sure your photos are backed up to something the bad guy can't steal and hide any heirlooms/jewelry you'd be devastated to lose. Those are the two things people are devastated about. Electronics can be replaced. They always look in the jewelry boxes and the dresser drawers. Always.
fuzzie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #19

We have a SimpliSafe system and it has been fine so far. Easy to setup and reasonable monitoring fee. They have remote arming and other features if you want to pay the extra fees.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
We live about a mile off the paved road and in the past had a few people venture in to the house. Most were lost and I'll accept that. I took a low tech approach and posted signs saying cameras in use. So far has worked like a dream.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:57 PM   #21

Our security company told us, "all that security signs do is tell the thieves that the house has something worth stealing"!

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #22

I always liked this sign:

Man with shotgun protects this house 4 days a week.

You guess which 4.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:15 PM   #23

I purchased and installed Simplisafe at my daughters apartment at college. Reasonably prices, simple to install. Wireless, so no wiring to run. Uses a Cell Phone to notify and has a long lasting battery in the base station. We did the motion alarms, window/door trips, outside siren, and fire/smoke detector alarm. You can also purchase the high water sensor which will tell you if your sump pump is malfunctioning. Monitoring can be as basic or as complicated as you like. Cost goes up the more inclusive the plan. It's worked great for 2+ years since I installed it with only battery changes. I would purchase the Simplisafe again.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:21 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavet View Post
We will be heading south for 3 months and think alarm system is a good idea.

cyn
Hi Cyn,

Not exactly the type of alarm system you're asking about (we have one of those, too), but, you might consider something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Control-Produc...e+phone+dialer

It will alert you by dialing a phone number you program if it senses a loss of power for more than 5 minutes, temperature below 45 degrees or water in your S&B while you're away. Simple installation, no monitoring fee.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Anyone tired this one? https://nest.com/camera/meet-nest-cam/?dropcam=true
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check out Skybell WIFI Video Door Bell on Amazon.
Same features as Skyring, but lower cost.

I just ordered one....will post a review in a few weeks.

SkyBell WIFI Video Door Bell

$104 ...about 1/2 the cost.

Regards,

Dan
Old 11-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post

That is what I have and I love them.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Forest Grump - I sent you a message with a couple of questions (But some were answered when I reread post 16)
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote