Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #29

Exhibit "A" ^^of those who ruin it for legitimate users to satisfy their selfishness.

Agreed, same with handicap parking. It should be for those who need it, not those who can get it or who has their grandmothers spare placecard.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Not reading all of the comments, but a few weeks ago I was in my oncologists office for a dose of rat poison.

Some other patient that looked like he hadn't seen a shower head in weeks brought in a mangy dog.

The next week there was a sign on the wall that you need papers to bring in your "support animal". Works for me.
sam60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #31

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
The term "Service Animal" has, unfortunately two definitions. The Fed ADA definition is very restrictive and defines a service animals as only dogs that have been specially trained to help with a disability. There is a special qualification for miniature horses, but no other specie of animal qualifies--no monkeys, chickens, hamsters, etc.The only service animals legally protected in public buildings or business are those that fit the ADA definition.

"Comfort", "Emotional Support, "Assistance", and "Service" animals are also protected by the Federal Fair Housing Act, and the Air Carrier Access Act, both of which have a broader definition of what qualifies as a protected animal. This is the category that is abused and often confused with the ADA definition. Animals that must be allowed on airplanes or housing are not necessarily ADA protected but owners play on the ignorance/fear of retail business and bring their pets, support, assistance animals into public buildings.

There are actually two questions that may be asked, legally, of someone who claims to have an ADA service animal. First, "Is this dog a service animal required for a disability?", and second, "What work or task has this dog been trained to perform?" If businesses and retailers knew the legal definition, they could easily ask the questions and put the owners on the spot. Yes, some will lie, most scofflaws will probably not take their pet inside, and a very few may indeed have true ADA Service Animals and they should not be offended by the query.

True ADA service dogs are usually easily identified, even by the lay public. Their demeanor and attentiveness is obvious. Real comfort and emotional support animals serve a benefit as well and, as said, have protection is other areas, but they are not the same as ADA service dogs. It is the selfish pet owner who tries to pass their pet off as a service or support animal that needs to be confronted and stopped.
I have a capuchin monkey who is trained to warn me of an impending medical condition that can cause me to pass out. She is able to recognize the symptoms and can warn me before I am aware. She allows me time to take the necessary treatment to stop the dibilitating process.

On April 15, 2011 the US Justice Department changed the rules and Sena was no longer able to be a "legal" service animal. Today, at age 22 she still helps me guard my health and well being, but without the same rights of passage that dogs and miniature horses are afforded by ADA law.

Have you ever wondered why miniature horses are included? That's because they are the only other service animal used by people with blindness.

Why is it that blindness is the only disability that has qualified for an extra exemption on your IRS 1040 forms for as long as i have been paying income taxes?

I do believe that there is undue advantages afforded to the blind than there are other types of disabilities. Discrimination???
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:19 AM   #32

and off to the races

as quoted by Okmunky "Why is it that blindness is the only disability that has qualified for an extra exemption on your IRS 1040 forms for as long as i have been paying income taxes?"

I`ll take a small tax hit over being Blind any day. Besides Blindness severely restricts ones life like not being able to drive a camper and enjoy the great outdoors. Just saying.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:35 AM   #33

I know of a major destination attraction that requests an individual demonstrate the specific training the alleged service animal has received to be certified as a service animal. No proof, no entrance.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCollins View Post
I know of a major destination attraction that requests an individual demonstrate the specific training the alleged service animal has received to be certified as a service animal. No proof, no entrance.
Sit, stay.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:50 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
as quoted by Okmunky "Why is it that blindness is the only disability that has qualified for an extra exemption on your IRS 1040 forms for as long as i have been paying income taxes?"

I`ll take a small tax hit over being Blind any day. Besides Blindness severely restricts ones life like not being able to drive a camper and enjoy the great outdoors. Just saying.
With a good service dog as a driver. 
Name:   download.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  7.4 KB
Old 04-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
My mother has a handicapped placard for her car. Even if I take her in my car, I will only drop her off at the handicap parking spot, and then park the car elsewhere. She brings her placard with us, but I don't feel I have the right to leave the car in the HC parking spot. I would feel like a lowlife if I left the car in the HC spot, and another handicapped person has to walk farther because of my actions. For the record, I had to help an elderly lady get into the bank this winter, as the parking lot was really slushy with snow. She was parked in the handicap spot. Some folks really need these services, shame on those who use them on false pretenses.
You and I think alike. I would do the same with my mother.

Tags
service