Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #1

Service Animals

I usually refrain from commenting on political issues, but I have reached my boiling point. I am disgusted with reading articles/comments about how to register your PET as a service animal. The government does something to help people with a real need, and some game the system in order not to inconvenience their life style. Feel better now.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanjay View Post
I usually refrain from commenting on political issues, but I have reached my boiling point. I am disgusted with reading articles/comments about how to register your PET as a service animal. The government does something to help people with a real need, and some game the system in order not to inconvenience their life style. Feel better now.

This is more a human behavioral issue than a politics issue.

I admit to warm feelings of schadenfreude when I watch youtube vids of folks getting ticketed and/or towed away for using handicapped parking spaces without appropriate tags/credentials.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was security at a retirement center. Lots of people claiming their pet was a service animal. Federal laws prevented us from even questioning their statements.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #4

Seems to be more about emotional support animals vs trained service animals. Personally Id rather err on the side of leniency than possibly deny the needs of one that does.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I was security at a retirement center. Lots of people claiming their pet was a service animal. Federal laws prevented us from even questioning their statements.
To be fair, it wasn't federal law, it was actually just the attorneys for whatever company you worked for being overly cautious, which was the consensus "best practice" amongst corporate attorneys.

Now that there has been a lot of recognition that people are abusing the law, companies are starting to push back. I recently received an email advertising a continuing legal education class dealing with the topic of how to safely push back against disingenuous service animal claims.

Federal law extends significant protections to people with disabilities and their service animals, but the laws have never been absolute.

In the past it was just cheaper to take a cautious approach and assume nobody would abuse the law. Now that the word is out that companies won't do anything, popular opinion has swayed against the abusers and companies are going to start exercising their rights a little bit more. If their rights prove insufficient to curb the problem of abuse, I would expect amendment of the ADA in the near future.
CoachDitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDitka View Post
To be fair, it wasn't federal law, it was actually just the attorneys for whatever company you worked for being overly cautious, which was the consensus "best practice" amongst corporate attorneys.

Now that there has been a lot of recognition that people are abusing the law, companies are starting to push back. I recently received an email advertising a continuing legal education class dealing with the topic of how to safely push back against disingenuous service animal claims.

Federal law extends significant protections to people with disabilities and their service animals, but the laws have never been absolute.

In the past it was just cheaper to take a cautious approach and assume nobody would abuse the law. Now that the word is out that companies won't do anything, popular opinion has swayed against the abusers and companies are going to start exercising their rights a little bit more. If their rights prove insufficient to curb the problem of abuse, I would expect amendment of the ADA in the near future.
An excellent analysis of the situation. We had frequent issues at my airline with people insisting their pets were support animals who should be allowed to ride in the cabin. Thankfully most of the issues were dealt with by ground personnel before boarding. Some were not.
The bus company I worked for after my federally mandated "retirement" told us to never question or deny boarding to any person who brought on any animal they claimed to be a service animal. The disability activists were well organized and would file a lawsuit at the drop of a hat.
The other passengers were required to bear the consequences of their timidity.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
An excellent analysis of the situation. We had frequent issues at my airline with people insisting their pets were support animals who should be allowed to ride in the cabin. Thankfully most of the issues were dealt with by ground personnel before boarding. Some were not.
The bus company I worked for after my federally mandated "retirement" told us to never question or deny boarding to any person who brought on any animal they claimed to be a service animal. The disability activists were well organized and would file a lawsuit at the drop of a hat.
The other passengers were required to bear the consequences of their timidity.
There are a couple of opportunistic attorneys who have built a cottage industry of ADA lawsuits. The have a number of "clients" around the USA, with various disabilities, who are sent to public and private facilities (office buildings, retailers, theaters, etc) to find out if their access is impaired in any way. The attorneys investigate and usually bring suit on behalf of their "client".

It's an instance of the ADA being used as both a cudgel and profit center.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:57 PM   #8

Federal law allows this question that can be asked of someone claiming a service animal: What does this animal do for you?

Emotional support, anxiety support animals are not considered a "service animal".

I had to take some required training on this subject and learned a lot.

Also, there is no such thing as a "registered" or a "certified" service animal. Sure, you can go on line and buy a vest and answer a few questions and someone will give you a "certificate" but it isn't worth the paper it is printed on
Old 04-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #9

If people are required to have a tag in their windshield to prove they are handicapped for parking, why wouldn't they have some kind of identifiable tag on the service animal. It could be a special collar, or some kind of shirt. You would have to get them through approval of your doctor. This would curb the abuse. I would feel ashamed to fake a disability.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
If people are required to have a tag in their windshield to prove they are handicapped for parking, why wouldn't they have some kind of identifiable tag on the service animal. It could be a special collar, or some kind of shirt. You would have to get them through approval of your doctor. This would curb the abuse. I would feel ashamed to fake a disability.
Good idea. Good luck getting any lawmakers to take on the ADA activists. I suspect many of those activists aren't really disabled but self-important pet lovers who can't bear being without their pets regardless of where they go, how they get there and who they inconvenience.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #11

and off to the races

Quote:
Notice how there are no posts against your statement. There are plenty mostly women that abuse this important and necessary benefit. One woman actually brought her service animal on a plane, it was a monkey. Then there`s the one with a cat. Now you can buy on line little shirts for your animal and it says support animal in training. I have personally seen this on many animals in restaurants and other places that usually do not allow PETS to be brought in. The best was a dog not sure what it was but it was the size of a Harley Davidson with a human size shirt on that said emotional support animal on it when we went to the Olive Garden restaurant here in the North East one evening. No one has any Ba..s anymore to tell these people it isn`t going to happen.
As veteran I went to the Va for treatment one day and here`s a guy with 2 big Pit Bulls sitting there waiting his turn to see a doctor, both had Emotional Support Animal shirts on. It goes on and on. Whats next a horse just encase I need to hug something.

BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I usually refrain from commenting on political issues, but I have reached my boiling point. I am disgusted with reading articles/comments about how to register your PET as a service animal. The government does something to help people with a real need, and some game the system in order not to inconvenience their lifestyle. Feel better now.
I think that same applies to the handicapped plate and mirror hanger signs.
they seem to be given away for hangnails or other such things. my feeling is that once someone in your family qualifies that means it can be used by anyone in the family. there seems to be no end to how folks will wrongly use the system. Noff said, I feel better now.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:25 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
they seem to be given away for hangnails or other such things. my feeling is that once someone in your family qualifies that means it can be used by anyone in the family. there seems to be no end to how folks will wrongly use the system. Noff said, I feel better now.
Not true. I needed mine renewed and the Dr wouldn't authorize it till I produced a letter from my Neurologist. I did go to the U of O med school for some years but they can't find my records.
I should also add that I'm deputized (sworn in) to write tickets for illegal HC parking. Caught one woman using a dead friends tag.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
My mother has a handicapped placard for her car. Even if I take her in my car, I will only drop her off at the handicap parking spot, and then park the car elsewhere. She brings her placard with us, but I don't feel I have the right to leave the car in the HC parking spot. I would feel like a lowlife if I left the car in the HC spot, and another handicapped person has to walk farther because of my actions. For the record, I had to help an elderly lady get into the bank this winter, as the parking lot was really slushy with snow. She was parked in the handicap spot. Some folks really need these services, shame on those who use them on false pretenses.

Tags
service