Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Pghwizard Send a message via Yahoo to Pghwizard
Sites for the disabled?

Good day folks,
Again forgive me as I'm a rookie here to this forum. I have mention we recently got back into the camping deal after maybe 10 to 12 years of being out. I really enjoy this place and am still trying to figure out where to post what so if this is wrong then sorry mods please feel free to move it to the correct spot and I'm sorry.

Ok, I'm a kidney dialysis Pt. and would love to hear if there have been any other kidney Pt.'s on dialysis that travel? Also is there such a thing as a site for handicaped? I can't walk far, and was wondering if they had sites perhaps more central that they set a side?

Anyone able to offer any advise other than travel with medical info lol?
Thank you.
Pghwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
My DW is handicapped, so we travel accordingly. As far as the campsites go, the only advantage that I have seen, is that the handicap rv sites are usually located as close to the bathrooms as possible. Whether they have any hook-ups or not, is only based on what the camp usually provides. That is, if they don't have sewer or 50 amp electric anywhere in the camp, you won't get it at the handicap site either.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Pghwizard I'm very sorry for your problems, my recommendation is to contact the park and explain to them your problem and where you would like to be located most will try to accommodate you.

Good luck and God Bless.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
My DW is handicapped, so we travel accordingly. As far as the campsites go, the only advantage that I have seen, is that the handicap rv sites are usually located as close to the bathrooms as possible. Whether they have any hook-ups or not, is only based on what the camp usually provides. That is, if they don't have sewer or 50 amp electric anywhere in the camp, you won't get it at the handicap site either.

I figured maybe closer to the camp store or "activity center" something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
Pghwizard I'm very sorry for your problems, my recommendation is to contact the park and explain to them your problem and where you would like to be located most will try to accommodate you.

Good luck and God Bless.

Thank you Dadeaux, no need to be sorry, heck I'm 43 and been playing this game since I was 17. I figured most are really reasonable it just poped in my head and since we can go camping I thought I'd ask about it.
Thank you both for your input.
Never know might be another dialysis Pt. doing the same thing.

Peace all...
Old 01-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Pghwizard, In our travels this past summer, we noticed some handicap sites in a few campgrounds we stayed in...not nearly enough though. Most were a little wider and were paved to allow wheelchair access all the way around the camper. Some even had the full hookup receptacles paved as well...John and Penny Thompson Park in Miami was a fine example for others to follow. The sites were easily accessed to laundry and bathrooms as well.

I'd agree with Dadeaux, call ahead to see if your chosen CG has some convenient sites they can recommend for your needs. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have seen handicapped spots at many CG's. As stated, call ahead, tell them of your needs, and even if they don't have a specifically marked handicap site they can put you in a site that is closer to everything. Ask questions. You know what you need and be specific. Just because they have a handicap site does not necessarily mean that it is going to be convenient to everything. I have seen regular sites that appears more convenient than handicapped.

I'm glad to hear that is is not hindering you from taking wonderful excursions across the wonderful country.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #7

I agree with the other suggestions about contacting the park ahead of time. My wife is paraplegic so we need space on the passenger side of the coach for her wheelchair lift to deploy and for her to exit the lift.

We found on a trip out west last spring that KOA's often had good, wide, designated handicap sites with plenty of room and they were near the amenities of the park, but, as was observed by someone else, there were just not enough of them and the ones they had were often occupied by people who really didn't need them, just like in a shopping center parking lot.

But, we have made out just fine on our trips. There is always a way to adjust.

Good luck on your travels.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
I agree with the other suggestions about contacting the park ahead of time. My wife is paraplegic so we need space on the passenger side of the coach for her wheelchair lift to deploy and for her to exit the lift.

We found on a trip out west last spring that KOA's often had good, wide, designated handicap sites with plenty of room and they were near the amenities of the park, but, as was observed by someone else, there were just not enough of them and the ones they had were often occupied by people who really didn't need them, just like in a shopping center parking lot.

Don
It may not be evident what the disability is but a Doctor recommended a Disability placard be issued to that person. A more correct statement might be people with lesser disabilities were using the parking spots. For example: DW cannot walk without assistance but only uses a wheelchair at the doctors office. Usually, my assistance is required until she can get a shopping cart to balance herself.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post

Don
Don I don't mean to indicate you are insensitive for in the past I've had the same reaction to some I've seen using handicap designated areas. Your burden of caring for someone who is paraplegic has to be daunting and to be paraplegic is something I can’t imagine.

But I’ve learned the hard way that a lot of handicaps are not visible. For the past 6 years I have been fighting Kidney Cancer that has metastasized to my spinal vertebrae and other bones. There are times when I can run you a foot race and times when I can't walk more than a hundred feet before sitting down. A handicap sticker is very necessary for me yet I look healthy to other people.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Don I don't mean to indicate you are insensitive for in the past I've had the same reaction to some I've seen using handicap designated areas. Your burden of caring for someone who is paraplegic has to be daunting and to be paraplegic is something I can’t imagine.

But I’ve learned the hard way that a lot of handicaps are not visible. For the past 6 years I have been fighting Kidney Cancer that has metastasized to my spinal vertebrae and other bones. There are times when I can run you a foot race and times when I can't walk more than a hundred feet before sitting down. A handicap sticker is very necessary for me yet I look healthy to other people.

Thank you all, yes I too agree I'm in that boat also at 43 and nothing wrong if you see me. I too on a hot sunny day make it 100 feet and pass out but I never ever take the only handicap spot. Always someone who can use it more than I but in a perfect world I'd love to be fairly close to something rather than have to be careful it might be to long.

I think like Don does, always a way to figure it out.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant80 View Post
It may not be evident what the disability is but a Doctor recommended a Disability placard be issued to that person. A more correct statement might be people with lesser disabilities were using the parking spots. For example: DW cannot walk without assistance but only uses a wheelchair at the doctors office. Usually, my assistance is required until she can get a shopping cart to balance herself.
Quote:

I did not mean to indicate any insensitivity to those with lesser disabilities, if there is such a thing to the person who has it, but just an observation of what we have experienced first hand in various situations. There are plenty of instances of young people parking in handicap spots and getting out and walking at a fast pace to the store having "borrowed" grandma's handicap placard. We see this all the time, and I have, on several occasions, asked the culprit about it and they have admitted the placard belongs to someone else. What a shame.

My wife is quite independent and does not equate her disability with the "worst" that could have happened to her. She often tells people she does not need to be close to the front door of the place she is going to but needs enough space to fully open her car door to get her wheelchair out and get in it. Or, in another vehicle she drives, to deploy a folding on-board ramp in her ramp-van. To her, closeness does not count nearly as much as roominess. This is the case with our motorhome. We have a lift which comes out from under a back door, deploys and hydraulically, elevates to allow her to access it, then lowers to the ground. It is about 4 feet long, and then she needs another 3 or 4 feet to maneuver off of it.

This has nothing to do with how close the clubhouse is or the pool, or whatever. It has to do with access to, say, the picnic table, or access to the driveways to wheel around the park.

As I said, things normally work out. If there is no choice and the sites are tight, she simply stays in the coach overnight and then we are on our way the next day.

In some parks, this roominess sometimes only is possible in a handicap type space. In other parks, most sites may have enough space. We have passed up vacant handicap sites at parks where other sites have been wide enough to accommodate us regardless of where they are located within the park. We fully understand the needs of others with less visible disabilities. Let's just say my wife is very ambulatory once her wheels hit the ground.

Please excuse me if I diverted from the OP topic, but I guess I started another discussion which I felt needed some more input.

And, for the sake of others who may be reading this thread, thanks for pointing out the fact that there are many people with some form of disability that is not readily apparent. No one could be more empathetic than us and we wish you all good health.

We hope to see you on the road.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Excellent post Don.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, excellent post.

And to clarify, convenience is only what the person expects it to be. To you it is a space that can accommodate dismounting and mounting a chair. So again I say, call ahead and ask. You will find the CG's helpful, and those that are not you can skip ahead to the next one.

Hope to see you both at a CG some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I have seen handicapped spots at many CG's. As stated, call ahead, tell them of your needs, and even if they don't have a specifically marked handicap site they can put you in a site that is closer to everything. Ask questions. You know what you need and be specific. Just because they have a handicap site does not necessarily mean that it is going to be convenient to everything. I have seen regular sites that appears more convenient than handicapped.

I'm glad to hear that is is not hindering you from taking wonderful excursions across the wonderful country.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Don,

I am handicapped (although not to the extent, yet, of your wife) and I have found- in the parks I have been to- that the handicapped sites will be paved (even if all the rest are not) and will be a bit wider, than the average site at that particular park.

Most have full hookups but, at the very least, power/water.

They have all been convenient to the showers/bathrooms although not necessarily close to the 'action'. Which, for me, is just fine.

As others have already stated, if you call ahead and explain your needs, most parks will try to accommodate, if they can.

One of the reasons that I purchased my TT was because motel/hotels were putting me on the second floor, even when I booked a ground floor handicapped room. I was getting tired of fighting them and so got the TT and LOVE it. I have found that RV Parks and campgrounds MUCH more responsive to the needs of the disabled camper.

Good luck and God Bless!

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote