Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2016, 08:34 AM   #29

This is a good thread,,, as we are looking in the "next few years" to throw my keys on the boss's desk and say bye" .... BUT we have to have the ducks in a row.....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had my ducks in a row several times but they always seem to QUACK UP.

Sorry---
Old 07-08-2016, 10:50 PM   #31

Thanks guys,you ruined my night.Whenever I think about SS and the Gov I get angry.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #32

It is important to sign up for medicare as soon as you are qualified. Other wise your premiums could be higher than others. If your Medicare premium is directly debited from your SS payment, medicare premium can not increase more than COLA.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #33
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehc View Post
It is important to sign up for medicare as soon as you are qualified. Other wise your premiums could be higher than others. If your Medicare premium is directly debited from your SS payment, medicare premium can not increase more than COLA.

Thanks for the heads-up!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker art View Post
Thanks guys,you ruined my night.Whenever I think about SS and the Gov I get angry.
This will make you more angry. They rip you off at the beginning of SS and the end. Before you get your first check you have to go through a whole calendar month, then they pay you on one of the Wednesdays of the next month depending on your birthday number. Thus it could be up to almost two months after you retire before you get your first SS check. At the end, they take back the whole last check for that month, even if you passed away on the 29th of the month.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
This will make you more angry. They rip you off at the beginning of SS and the end. Before you get your first check you have to go through a whole calendar month, then they pay you on one of the Wednesdays of the next month depending on your birthday number. Thus it could be up to almost two months after you retire before you get your first SS check. At the end, they take back the whole last check for that month, even if you passed away on the 29th of the month.
Exactly!

We found that out when my mom passed away six years ago.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
Exactly!

We found that out when my mom passed away six years ago.
Same here only it was my step-mother and what makes it worse, I was on her checking account as co-owner so they ripped me off for her last SS check. They get you coming AND going.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I'm trying to figure out how to spend all that extra money I will be getting!
Don't worry the gov't will figure out a way to get it back plus some.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockTank View Post
You all make me feel good that I made the right decision at the ripe old age of 18, I joined the military. My wife and I are both Vietnam era Veterans, and we both have VA coverage. And I'm not trying to rub anybody the wrong way, I'm truly appreciative of that decision, nothing more.

I had no idea we were doing such a good thing back then. We won't have to deal with Medicare, Medicaid, etc.

I'm planning on retiring Jul 31, just over a month from now, and I'm scared to death. It'll be the first time in my life I don't have a job. I know a lot of you have retired and don't know how you ever had time to have a job, but I'm a newbie at this. I hope I'll learn, I'm only 60 now, and hope I'll have plenty of time to learn as well as a lot of you have.
I was in the same boat. I stayed with Tricare though. Little did I know but once I turned 65 Medicare Part A and Part B is automatic and required (mandatory) now. No way around that. You wont even have to sign up for it, SSN will do that for you both automatically. Welcome to the older folks syndrome lol.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #39

As I read through this thread I wonder how many of you realize that you will collect substantially more from Social Security than you and your employer paid into the system. Hence the reason the system is in trouble. We are living too long and the system was not designed to have this many people drawing on it for the number of years that most of us will draw. Social Security was designed to be a safety net, not an entitlement. I know that will generate howls but anytime you can draw more of a system than you paid into it makes it an entitlement.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:20 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
As I read through this thread I wonder how many of you realize that you will collect substantially more from Social Security than you and your employer paid into the system. Hence the reason the system is in trouble. We are living too long and the system was not designed to have this many people drawing on it for the number of years that most of us will draw. Social Security was designed to be a safety net, not an entitlement. I know that will generate howls but anytime you can draw more of a system than you paid into it makes it an entitlement.
While all that is true, the problem is that the government took out money YOU earned and put it into a flawed system where your money is not earning interest. Perhaps it evens out since, as you said, we are getting paid more than what was put in. But who knows how much we could have received back, when we are collecting, had our dollars earned interest?

Also, the government robs the SS fund to pay for everything else in the federal budget.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
While all that is true, the problem is that the government took out money YOU earned and put it into a flawed system where your money is not earning interest. Perhaps it evens out since, as you said, we are getting paid more than what was put in. But who knows how much we could have received back, when we are collecting, had our dollars earned interest?

Also, the government robs the SS fund to pay for everything else in the federal budget.
In theory we all approved the system because it was what our "representatves" voted for. I don't think most people realize how opened ended the system has become. Most do not realize that the largest holder of IOU's from the federal government is not the Chinese but Social Security which is collecting interest.....that is, as long as the government can afford to pay it. The original borrowing from the system was done to pay for the Vietnam War and the borrowing has continued since the mid-60's.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:01 PM   #42
Community Administrator

Let's stick to the topic without getting into a general discussion about Government policies. This section of our Community Rules prohibits this here.

General discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of iRV2. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.

Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote