Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2020, 12:45 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
And I financed my 5th wheel, so I donít have a copy of my title. Are you saying that it wouldnít have been titled as a recreational trailer? Itís a 2018 model year, for what itís worth.

And if it were re-titled as a recreational trailer, how does that exempt it from the combination weight registration regulations?
It depends, the RECT Title vs the TRL Title classifications switched over sometime around when you got yours, but, I bet you are still a TRL. If you look at your Fifth Wheel registration card, it will tell you if it is titled as a TRL or a RECT. All you have to do is get it re-titled as a RECT (you don't have to have the title, the notary will take care of that for you with your lien-holder), then your tow vehicle is exempt from needed a combination weight registration which is what will cost you a fortune every year.
jpmader is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2020, 06:36 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmader View Post
It depends, the RECT Title vs the TRL Title classifications switched over sometime around when you got yours, but, I bet you are still a TRL. If you look at your Fifth Wheel registration card, it will tell you if it is titled as a TRL or a RECT. All you have to do is get it re-titled as a RECT (you don't have to have the title, the notary will take care of that for you with your lien-holder), then your tow vehicle is exempt from needed a combination weight registration which is what will cost you a fortune every year.
Yep, Iím register as TRL.

So once I re-title it as RECT, how do I go about getting a truck registration refund for the balance of current registration period? Does that happen automatically when I apply again to have my truck re-classed (from 10 down to 5)?
Tdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #73

Anyone willing to help Class A Non-Commercial DL?

Greetings all,
I see a number of folks in my area on this forum who have provided valuable information for those of us trying to be 'legal'. I have my class A non-commercial learner's permit. I now need to convert that to the 'real' version of the Class A Non-commercial license by scheduling and passing a driving test. I live in the Lehigh Valley near Berks Co and am seeking another Class A license holder to accompany me to the DMV where I will take my test. I can provide compensation for your time. I don't have a scheduled test or location yet as I am waiting on someone who can go with me to use their schedule.

As an added piece of information, when you have your learners permit, you can look up the available online scheduling here:
https://www.dot2e.penndot.gov/exam_s...00802103051347

Here, you input your Drivers License #, Date of Birth and last four of SSN, and you can see that they know you have your Class A Learners which is valid for one year. When I log in, I see:

"Select the Class of driver's skills test: Permit Expiration
Schedule a Class A Driver's Test 07/29/2021"

You can schedule a test by selecting a county. In Lehigh or Northampton County, the next available date in in November (ha!). In Berks/Schuylkill/Lancaster Co, the Lebanon DMV has available dates in August (no dates avail in Reading). In Carbon and Montgo Co., starting in September. Summerdale in Dauphin Co. almost every Thursday, Friday Saturday. I dont know if calling some of these DMVs might yield more dates (especially for Allentown and Reading which are closest to me).

In any event, basspal seemed to give the most thorough explanation of the test. Any other first-hand experiences like this, or is this procedure the most typical?

Thanks all...
wineshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #74

Registration

Sorry for the really delayed response. I missed your reply. It took me almost 6-months to get a refund and not without involving my local legislator's office and had the evidence that I was misinformed by the PennDOT representatives. You probably need to check with your local notary to see if you need to use the same form that you needed to take to a local inspection station to get your rig upgraded from Class 5 to Class 10. Best of luck!

Quote:

So once I re-title it as RECT, how do I go about getting a truck registration refund for the balance of current registration period? Does that happen automatically when I apply again to have my truck re-classed (from 10 down to 5)?
Old 08-02-2020, 04:31 PM   #75

Test Location

All I will say is read the online reviews about the Lebanon DMV...I can personally attest that they are 100% true. I then went to the Chambersburg DMV location and didn't have a single strike against me. I don't live close to any of these locations, but, if you are really in a pinch and need someone to meet you in Dauphin County or if you decide to take a go in Lebanon, DM me as I'm in York County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineshopper View Post
Greetings all,
I see a number of folks in my area on this forum who have provided valuable information for those of us trying to be 'legal'. I have my class A non-commercial learner's permit. I now need to convert that to the 'real' version of the Class A Non-commercial license by scheduling and passing a driving test. I live in the Lehigh Valley near Berks Co and am seeking another Class A license holder to accompany me to the DMV where I will take my test. I can provide compensation for your time. I don't have a scheduled test or location yet as I am waiting on someone who can go with me to use their schedule.

As an added piece of information, when you have your learners permit, you can look up the available online scheduling here:

Here, you input your Drivers License #, Date of Birth and last four of SSN, and you can see that they know you have your Class A Learners which is valid for one year. When I log in, I see:

You can schedule a test by selecting a county. In Lehigh or Northampton County, the next available date in in November (ha!). In Berks/Schuylkill/Lancaster Co, the Lebanon DMV has available dates in August (no dates avail in Reading). In Carbon and Montgo Co., starting in September. Summerdale in Dauphin Co. almost every Thursday, Friday Saturday. I dont know if calling some of these DMVs might yield more dates (especially for Allentown and Reading which are closest to me).

In any event, basspal seemed to give the most thorough explanation of the test. Any other first-hand experiences like this, or is this procedure the most typical?

Thanks all...
Old 08-03-2020, 07:36 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmader View Post
All I will say is read the online reviews about the Lebanon DMV...I can personally attest that they are 100% true. I then went to the Chambersburg DMV location and didn't have a single strike against me. I don't live close to any of these locations, but, if you are really in a pinch and need someone to meet you in Dauphin County or if you decide to take a go in Lebanon, DM me as I'm in York County.
Thanks for the feedback on Lebanon. I had read some of the prior reviews and was disappointed to see that they were the ones with so many appointments available! I'll keep hunting for others and maybe call around to see if any closer DMVs offer this...
wineshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:46 AM   #77

Quote:

It will not save you much after you see what the RECT registration will cost you each year!
Old 08-28-2020, 08:39 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineshopper View Post
Greetings all,

Thanks all...
What is your timeline to take your test? I could help you as I have my non-commercial Class A. Norristown is your best bet. However, I don't have personal availability until later in October as my wife and I are working remotely from campgrounds, and I am taking our 5th wheel back to the factory for a new roof the first week of October (staying in Indiana during). Shoot me a PM if you still need the help and we can work out scheduling.
geotexZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:59 PM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
Goodness, Maryland makes it seem easy.

Tow vehicle over 26,000# and trailer less than 10,000# - Class B non CDL or CDL
Tow vehicle over or under 26,000# and trailer over 10,000# - Class A non CDL or CDL
Ohio makes it even easier:
Commercial vehicle (over 26,001 lbs) - CDL
Non-Commercial use (any weight up to 80,000 lbs) - no CDL

It would be interesting to see the numbers on accidents per mile driven by license class and vehicle weight.

When I got my first license in PA at 16. Tool the skill portion on a motorcycle. Trooper asked me what else I was going to drive. I told him cars and our farm trucks, I was given every endorsement. Of course that was many decades ago.....
Old 09-16-2020, 08:33 PM   #80

Exclamation Has anyone recieved a Non Commercial Class A in PA, and how

I am up against this same problems SteveA20120 had in 2018. I have my Pennsylvania Non Commercial Class A Learners permit. My RV is 14,028 lbs. Yes in PA there is a requirement for a Class A license for me. This was verified when I contacted the State Police officer Barracks in Butler PA who do truck inspections. I have tried to get a test date since January 2020. Sure Covid may have some effect of why there has never been a test available within an hour of me. I have a Class A driver who is willing to meet me at the testing site in Washington. So again has anyone here in PA found a way to meet this license requirement? Or is everyone just driving illegal knowing if they are in an accident; a smart ambulance chasing Lawyer can take everything we have saved in our lifetime.
Benny H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:49 PM   #81

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Oh Boy. New Jersey for once is easier going. Regular MV license for Class A recreational motorhome under 26,000lbs even with air brakes. I used to have a CDL and drove school buses - makes me shake my head sometimes thinking about the exemption and who is driving what - but welcome it even so!
PATRICK49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:54 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATRICK49 View Post
Oh Boy. New Jersey for once is easier going. Regular MV license for Class A recreational motorhome under 26,000lbs even with air brakes. I used to have a CDL and drove school buses - makes me shake my head sometimes thinking about the exemption and who is driving what - but welcome it even so!
I don't think there are any issues under 26,000#. The states that require special endorsements are over 26,000.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:45 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny H View Post
My RV is 14,028 lbs. Yes in PA there is a requirement for a Class A license for me. This was verified when I contacted the State Police officer Barracks in Butler PA who do truck inspections.
Thatís not what PA DMVís web site says. Nor any other state, AFAIK. 26,001 lb and up with trailer 10,000 lb and up, or Class B for same but without trailer of that weight.

https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Servic...s/default.aspx
Old 09-17-2020, 05:40 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny H View Post
I am up against this same problems SteveA20120 had in 2018. I have my Pennsylvania Non Commercial Class A Learners permit. My RV is 14,028 lbs. Yes in PA there is a requirement for a Class A license for me. This was verified when I contacted the State Police officer Barracks in Butler PA who do truck inspections. I have tried to get a test date since January 2020. Sure Covid may have some effect of why there has never been a test available within an hour of me. I have a Class A driver who is willing to meet me at the testing site in Washington. So again has anyone here in PA found a way to meet this license requirement? Or is everyone just driving illegal knowing if they are in an accident; a smart ambulance chasing Lawyer can take everything we have saved in our lifetime.
Your Gross Combined Weight is over 26,001 lbs, right? I assume your RV is a trailer and 14,028 lbs is its maximum allowable weight (Gross) and youíre adding that to your tow vehicleís maximum allowable weight (Gross)?

I have my Class A, did my test in Norristown in January.
Tdave is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a