Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #57

And when you are helping you friend move his furniture, you can't say-

He's paying for fuel
He's paying for tolls
He's buying me lunch/food
He owes me a favor
We'll figure it out later
We traded for it

And my favorite,
He's giving me a hug, a hand shake, a thank you, etc.

He is my friend, that's all.
07Ram5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2019, 08:47 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc12 View Post
07 Ram
Where did you get the info on trailer over 10,001? That was what I was told but can not find anything in print.
When I have told several people they do not believe it.
Now when I read it, PA DMV, is it one long run-on sentence or is it 2 different statements?

So if vehicle GVWR is 19,500 towing a 7000 trailer,
GCWR is over 26,001 (26,500) but the trailer is under 10,000 (7,000).
This does not need a class A? Even though GCWR is over 26,001.
07Ram5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:17 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Ram5500 View Post
Hey guys i am new here but just talked with a DOT Office about this particular item yesterday as i am going for my Non-Commercial Class A on Tuesday next week. The confusion comes in with the "or", I was told by the DOT officer that in order to need the class A you have to have BOTH a GCWR over 26,001 AND a trailer with a GVWR in excess of 10,001. For more clarity you can reference figure 1.1 on page 14 of the CDL Manual for PA: https://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/D.../PUB%20223.pdf
mikeski0890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Ram5500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeski0890 View Post
Hey guys i am new here but just talked with a DOT Office about this particular item yesterday as i am going for my Non-Commercial Class A on Tuesday next week. The confusion comes in with the "or", I was told by the DOT officer that in order to need the class A you have to have BOTH a GCWR over 26,001 AND a trailer with a GVWR in excess of 10,001.

Correct, BUT he will need the class B Non CDL. If one has the equipment, it likely best to get the class A Non CDL to begin with, then you are good to go for any Non Commercial vehicle, hauling a non commercial trailer.

As mentioned, anything that is not clearly recreational, can be questionable if it comes under commercial. As I said in another thread, this whole recreational heavy vehicle deal is still new to many states, and they are still working out the hows and whys of what it needs to handle a large vehicle.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:26 PM   #61

Camper in need

Hey everyone!

LONG time since I posted! Had a hiatus from RVing but have returned to it. Living in PA for 3 years now and have been towing a 2015 Heritage Glen Lite 232IS with a 2004 Yukon 2500XL. Easy!

However, our family has grown and we've been setting sights on upgrading and wanting to go 5er.
We thought that was 3 years out, but in May a tornado destroyed the Yukon (roof landed on it).

In looking for a new tow vehicle, I came across a creampuff 2015 RAM 3500 Cummins/AISIN dually with a GVWR of 14K that I bought 2 weeks ago. I do not need a non-commercial A to tow the Heritage Glen, but it's up for sale and we're targeting a 5er with GVWR of about 15K. Don't know when the Heritage Glen will sell because we live in an off-the-beaten path area, but when it does we are buying the 5er.

I'd like to prepare and be legal for the tow home when we buy. I just don't want to risk it because the only luck I have is bad! Lol.

I was wondering if any fellow campers in the greater Reading area, Allentown, or in Berks or LeHigh County would be willing to help me get my Class A? I'm happy to pay for time and effort to be able to take the skills/road test.

I thought I was set because a friend in NJ has a CDL A and he brought his dually truck and gooseneck cargo trailer for me to do the skills. We were floored when the instructor refused to test me because the properly registered and insured and inspected combination were out of state and my buddy, holding a current CDL A driving semis for a living, did not have a PA license! NOWHERE can I find a written requirement for PA vehicle and trailer and PA driver with appropriate class.

Thanks for the consideration!
geotexZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Some current data from the field...

Just took the NYS R test. My sponsor driver has a CDL-B (dump truck) certificate.

Anyways, test:
drove around a town square first with right turns, then left. Then instructed to back up a hundred feet (went to exit and have a look and inspector said 'you're okay to stay in the vehicle-just use your mirrors and cameras'; then I was instructed to parallel park it. That was it.
YMMV with inspectors of course.
ccasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:21 PM   #63

Since this seems to be the place to talk about our PA Non-Com Class A Adventures, I figured I’d post my own story:

It’s been 2 years since I started this quest.

It took multiple trips to the DMV, and hours on the phone to NJDOT, to clear up a speeding ticket I got in NJ in the 80s that popped when PA ran my license on the National Drivers Register (forgot about that one).

Then I finally got my permit in November, 2019.

Then I spent hours and hours getting my truck reclassified from 5 to 10 due to multiple rejections from PenDOT without explanation.

Then I spent more time and money requesting a duplicate registration and class sticker when they got lost in the mail.

And then, today, I finally took my driver test in Norristown.

I passed, but I still don’t have my license.

Some time along the way, the ID requirements were updated, now requiring you to present birth certificate or passport to process the license reissue.

So now I need to go back to the DMV.... again!

FYI to those with a drivers test scheduled.

At least I’m now technically legal.
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:06 PM   #64

Gulf Streamers Club
T.S.A. is requiring stricter regulations for 'Real ID-compliant driver's licenses' for ID in border crossings or air travel.

Most states have upped their requirements, but a driver's license a couple of years old might not allow you to fly without a passport after Oct. 1, 2020. To see if your license is compliant with the new Homeland Security requirements, look for a STAR on the upper right corner of your license. If there is one, your good to fly. If not, take your birth certificate to the DMV and get a new license or make sure your passport hasn't expired.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:29 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
T.S.A. is requiring stricter regulations for 'Real ID-compliant driver's licenses' for ID in border crossings or air travel.

Most states have upped their requirements, but a driver's license a couple of years old might not allow you to fly without a passport after Oct. 1, 2020. To see if your license is compliant with the new Homeland Security requirements, look for a STAR on the upper right corner of your license. If there is one, your good to fly. If not, take your birth certificate to the DMV and get a new license or make sure your passport hasn't expired.
Or an American flag somewhere on it, and the banner “Enhanced”. It’s one step higher than a Real ID in that it allows land and water crossings to Canada and Mexico without a passport. Does not allow air travel to those places, or any other country, without a passport, but it still allows you to get through airport security. As will the passport. Only 5 or 6 northern border states issue those, though, and they require proof of citizenship in addition to other forms of ID and proof of residence and such.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:46 PM   #66

I think that only applies if you want the real ID. Other than that you should have been given the updated pic. That’s how I did mine
thomasd923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:37 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasd923 View Post
I think that only applies if you want the real ID. Other than that you should have been given the updated pic. That’s how I did mine
Nope. I went back yesterday to finish the deed, and providing them my passport only got me a normal (not Real ID) license.

Also, my original license expired in May, 2020, and so does this one. So I have to go back to the DMV in a couple months again. Sigh.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:21 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
Since this seems to be the place to talk about our PA Non-Com Class A Adventures, I figured I’d post my own story:

It’s been 2 years since I started this quest.

It took multiple trips to the DMV, and hours on the phone to NJDOT, to clear up a speeding ticket I got in NJ in the 80s that popped when PA ran my license on the National Drivers Register (forgot about that one).

Then I finally got my permit in November, 2019.

Then I spent hours and hours getting my truck reclassified from 5 to 10 due to multiple rejections from PenDOT without explanation.

Then I spent more time and money requesting a duplicate registration and class sticker when they got lost in the mail.

And then, today, I finally took my driver test in Norristown.

I passed, but I still don’t have my license.

Some time along the way, the ID requirements were updated, now requiring you to present birth certificate or passport to process the license reissue.

So now I need to go back to the DMV.... again!

FYI to those with a drivers test scheduled.

At least I’m now technically legal.
You're probably not going to want to hear this, but, as of April 2019, you no longer need to register your truck with combination weight as long as you re-title your fifth wheel as a "recreational trailer" at your local notary. It costs about $50 to re-title, a lot cheaper than a $700/year Class 10 truck registration. I had to fight PennDot and escalate to my local legislator, but, he got me a refund when the legislation passed after PennDot told me that it didn't apply to me, when it did. Here is the bulletin that you need to take with you to the notary so that they know what you want them to do:
https://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/D...0Act%20138.pdf
jpmader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:51 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmader View Post
You're probably not going to want to hear this, but, as of April 2019, you no longer need to register your truck with combination weight as long as you re-title your fifth wheel as a "recreational trailer" at your local notary. It costs about $50 to re-title, a lot cheaper than a $700/year Class 10 truck registration. I had to fight PennDot and escalate to my local legislator, but, he got me a refund when the legislation passed after PennDot told me that it didn't apply to me, when it did. Here is the bulletin that you need to take with you to the notary so that they know what you want them to do:
Wow!

This amendment was all happening exactly when I was reclassifying the truck. No wonder none of the tag agencies I spoke with knew about it (not that they knew much about non-com Class A requirements anyway).

So after getting the trailer title reclassified, I can apply for a refund on the balance of my truck’s registration and re-title it as a Class 5?
Old 01-25-2020, 07:28 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmader View Post
And I financed my 5th wheel, so I don’t have a copy of my title. Are you saying that it wouldn’t have been titled as a recreational trailer? It’s a 2018 model year, for what it’s worth.

And if it were re-titled as a recreational trailer, how does that exempt it from the combination weight registration regulations?

Tags
class a