Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2021, 02:39 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in PA View Post
I got the annual medical exam necessity waived which in effect makes my license a Class B license. If I want to drive for pay, I would need to revisit them and get that exemption removed. I would not need to retest. [...] My license card says nothing about the medical being exemption. DMV explained this is relatively common as CDL drivers retire, don’t intend to drive for pay, but are rightfully reluctant to give up their CDL.
I just recently renewed but had the DMV add the "R" restriction (A3 med cert exempt) added, which is shown on the back. I too didn't want to give up my CDL, which I got way back in the 1970's, though I have no intention of driving for pay ever again. But I might need it for a larger RV some day. So I'm still legal for that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2021, 01:22 AM   #128

Congrats to Chuck for getting your Class B license. I was not aware you could ask to waive the annual CDL medical certification.

I looked at getting a professional "bus driver" commercial class B license through a local tour bus business and a technical school near me but eventually just decided to go through the state process on my own.

Throughout my years, I have held a state operator's license, a motorcycle license,
a chauffeur's license, a taxi driver's license, a motor vehicle driving instructor's certificate and now a non-commercial class B license. I passed the skid training test for state patrol officers in Wisconsin. I have some experience.

The fellow in Lebanon who administered my first class B test was determined to make me fail. He directed me and our 40 foot coach into narrow streets with right angle turns, narrow traffic islands and other obstacles which really could not accommodate such a large vehicle and then failed me for "touching" a curb and allegedly doing 26 in a 25 zone. He announced the result and then bolted with no explanation or discussion, as he did with others, so this was his modus operandi.

My second examiner (in Lewistown), who was much more thoughtful and thorough, took me on a wide variety of highways (not just 25mph city streets) including freeway entrances and exits, had me do an "emergency stop" along the highway, and was very good at eliciting information by her questions to see if I knew my stuff.

I do think the private driving school approach, while more expensive, would be less stressful for the test part. The instructors get to know you over a period of sessions.

I too would be glad to accompany any class B (RV) license candidates to practice or take their test. I live in Lancaster County PA near the Chester County line.
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:41 AM   #129

Here is Lewistown/Burnham experience-

Full walk around (CDL style). Must demonstrate you know how to use defroster and windshield washers. GVWR sticker on trailer must be visible. They will verify that the trailer is over 10,000gvwr and that the combination is over 26,001gcwr. Air brake operating pressure. Swing wide for turns and verbalize it's safe to do so when done. If stick shift, you must downshift thru all gears and stay in gear till almost a complete stop. Must show you know how to use the exhaust brake and/or grade shifting (if auto) if equipped.

My route was Make a left out of the testing center. Go down to the light. Turn right. Turn right again and get on 322 heading towards Harrisburg. Get off at electric avenue. Follow electric to the intersection at Sheetz. Stop at the stop line and do not go past it or creep into the intersection. Make the left onto Freedom Ave directly from the stop line when the way is clear. Then right onto Ferguson Valley Road. Then right into the testing center, make sure to swing wide into opposing lane to make the turn without the trailer tires leaving the asphalt. Verbalize when safe to do so and "swinging wide so trailer tires don't leave the asphalt". Park up and done.
07Ram5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:58 AM   #130

Anyone near/in lower Bucks County willing to accompany me to the Neshaminy center for my test? I'll work around your/DMVs schedule! Thanks!
byathread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:53 PM   #131

From California... Over 15K on a 5th wheel I had to get a Class A non-commercial. I checked around with a couple of RV training schools and finally found a friend of an instructor who had a Class A....after some negotiation we agreed on a price, and I drove him to a DMV office, and took the driving test...DMV won't test you without a second Class A licensee. I hear as of this year a new requirement is you have to show a certain amount of behind the wheel training before testing...just like a newbie 15 year old!

CA DMV sounds like the East Coast - nobody knew which tests to give me without a lot of questions. I found YouTube to have a lot of videos that enabled me to pass the first phase of vehicle inspection. I had to go thru the entire rig bumper to bumper and name each part, identify if it was in good condition, why I knew it was okay, etc.

Practice your backing over and over-CA requires an alley dock with backing at 90 deg, and it all rides on a strict point system.

BTW... YouTube even has a few videos that show you the actual route(s) at certain offices.
Old 04-06-2022, 12:56 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by byathread View Post
Anyone near/in lower Bucks County willing to accompany me to the Neshaminy center for my test? I'll work around your/DMVs schedule! Thanks!
You should say what license you are testing for so that the person accompanying you has the appropriate license.
Old 04-06-2022, 12:35 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
You should say what license you are testing for so that the person accompanying you has the appropriate license.
Trust me, I did....remember its DMV....where the customer never knows better than they do. ��
Old 04-06-2022, 04:25 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyRV779 View Post
Trust me, I did....remember its DMV....where the customer never knows better than they do. ��
I meant are you going in here in Pennsylvania for a non-commercial Class A or non-commercial class B or something else? The person who accompanies you needs to have the same license.
Larry
Old 04-06-2022, 04:36 PM   #135

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm baffled by this. What is the point of having an appropriately licensed driver with you when you go to take the skills test? I get it for 16 year old kids, they should be driving with someone in the passenger seat, but for a non-commercial license for a 26k vehicle? It seems like a ridiculous requirement. If I'm coming from out of state where I don't need a special license, and I move to Pennsylvania, I have to get a permit, which means I can no longer drive my rig? Another illogical question, if my wife waits to change her license to Pennsylvania and keeps her license from a state where she doesn't need a special license, can't she then accompany me to the skills test? Bureaucrats...
Old 04-07-2022, 02:40 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
I'm baffled by this. What is the point of having an appropriately licensed driver with you when you go to take the skills test? I get it for 16 year old kids, they should be driving with someone in the passenger seat, but for a non-commercial license for a 26k vehicle? It seems like a ridiculous requirement. If I'm coming from out of state where I don't need a special license, and I move to Pennsylvania, I have to get a permit, which means I can no longer drive my rig? Another illogical question, if my wife waits to change her license to Pennsylvania and keeps her license from a state where she doesn't need a special license, can't she then accompany me to the skills test? Bureaucrats...
I guess the point is ... that's the law in PA. They require a similarly licensed Class A or B driver (commercial or non commercial) to accompany you to take your test for a non-commercial Class A or Class B license.

You can bring your wife with you if you wish but unless she has the same non-commercial or commercial class A or B license that you seek, they may not administer the skills test you seek.

My point was just that if someone on the forum wishes to volunteer to help you, they need to know what license you seek so that they know if they have the right kind of license to accompany you to the test.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:54 AM   #137

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
I guess the point is ... that's the law in PA. They require a similarly licensed Class A or B driver (commercial or non commercial) to accompany you to take your test for a non-commercial Class A or Class B license.

You can bring your wife with you if you wish but unless she has the same non-commercial or commercial class A or B license that you seek, they may not administer the skills test you seek.

My point was just that if someone on the forum wishes to volunteer to help you, they need to know what license you seek so that they know if they have the right kind of license to accompany you to the test.

That's not the law in Pennsylvania. The law says that the accompanying driver for someone driving with a permit has to be licensed to drive vehicles of the class being driven. It doesn't say that they have to be licensed in Pennsylvania. It says nothing about the license being similar. It also doesn't say that you have to produce a licensed driver for your skills test. That's just an interpretation of the above that you need to have a licensed driver with you to drive with your permit.
The law does say that you need to get a permit before you can change classes. But for drivers over 18 there is no minimum time to hold that permit, you just need it before you can take the skills test (I'm assuming because they can stamp your permit and make it a license on the spot). Theoretically, you can turn up at the DMV with your license from another state, get your permit, and take your skills test without having left the parking lot (see this PA lawmakers?) -- if you could get a skills test scheduled that is.

My point is that their point is silly. I'm showing up with my 96 year old mom for my skills test. Her out of state license allows her to drive my motor home. With her filter we won't make it out of the parking lot before the examiner has had enough and passes me on the spot.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:59 AM   #138

Most states that require accompanying driver for those on a learners permit don't require the exact same class as being tested (or learning / practicing) it is equivalent of higher. So a learner permit for non-CDL Cl B could be accompanied by a Non- CDL Cl A or B or a Cl Aor B CDL.
It is NOT for the driving test... it is so you can legally drive to and from the driving test. At least in NY the accompanying driver doesn't even ride along during the test. The DMV inspector serves that purpose.
I know in some situations it may not be perfectly logical but regulations don't always make sense or be logical.
The fact that you are operating with a learners permit means (in most cases) you are learning to drive that class of vehicle and appropriate to have someone licensed for that class aboard to assist the learning. I would be glad that for classes beyond a normal auto that they don't require a certified instructor meaning everyone would have to go through a driving school!
I have heard of some using an out of state "qualified" accompanying driver but have no direct experience. My
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:25 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post

Do you have an endorsement for an over 26K vehicle in VA or is the standard licence when you are 16/whatever in VA allowing that weight? If you have an endorsement, it'll transfer. Hard no to that deal with your wife if that isn't the case. Worth looking into before the move. I lived in CA a couple years and got my MC endorsement there, it transferred to PA, no issues. If no endorsement, you are in my shoes of driving with a permit and also need someone who holds what PA recognizes as A non commercial Class B or higher in the passenger seat while you are driving until you pass your skills/road test. For example, my neighbor has a PA CDL with additional endorsements for hazardous materials and oversized loads, that works. I know exactly nobody who has this minimum non commercial Class B (>26K, <10K towing) one I need for my rig. Apparently, I need to make an appointment within a year of permit issue or you just re-apply for it. Was $5 for the permit. Anyone close to lower bucks/Neshaminy DMV willing to go, please PM me.

Good luck!
byathread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:44 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by byathread View Post
Do you have an endorsement for an over 26K vehicle in VA or is the standard licence when you are 16/whatever in VA allowing that weight? If you have an endorsement, it'll transfer. Hard no to that deal with your wife if that isn't the case. Worth looking into before the move. I lived in CA a couple years and got my MC endorsement there, it transferred to PA, no issues. If no endorsement, you are in my shoes of driving with a permit and also need someone who holds what PA recognizes as A non commercial Class B or higher in the passenger seat while you are driving until you pass your skills/road test. For example, my neighbor has a PA CDL with additional endorsements for hazardous materials and oversized loads, that works. I know exactly nobody who has this minimum non commercial Class B (>26K, <10K towing) one I need for my rig. Apparently, I need to make an appointment within a year of permit issue or you just re-apply for it. Was $5 for the permit. Anyone close to lower bucks/Neshaminy DMV willing to go, please PM me.

Good luck!
I dont believe you need the EXACT same DL for the accompanying driver.
Most states it is the reqd DL or higher as the accompanying driver.
So a Cl A can accompany a Cl B. CDL can also accompany non- Comml DL
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a