Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #1

Spray foam under S&B house?

This is concerning a sticks and bricks house. Has anyone installed spray foam insulation under your house, or had it done? We have a crawl space under the home, and there is No insulation under the floor. Needless to say the floor gets cold this time of year. I do cover the vents around the outside foundation walls during winter .
Was wondering if the cost would be way too high... I measure approx 1650 sq ft on the bottom floor. Just looking at under the floor, as I'm not going to rip walls apart. (although it could sure use it!)
I see a "kit" for Green Foam and the cost is almost $2000... So if we get a contractor etc to do it, what are we looking at,,, $8-10,000 ???? We sure don't have that kind of coin laying around... Idea's ???
Thanks,,,,, Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #2

I would give consideration to the following:

Pipe and wiring access (if foam covered)
Moisture buildup
Mold/Mildew
Access to sub-floor itself

On our house, We have fiberglass insulation that is held up by a network of string that is stapled in a criss-cross pattern along the joists. Our floors seem to stay tolerable in the winter considering we live in the Pacific NW. Might be less expensive(?).

I hear your pain.. I hate a cold floor.
Turbofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #3

I remodeled the basement of my rental house, I had the contractor stud the concrete walls with 2x4s and spray foam the walls,wow what a difference, after seeing this stuff and how much warmer it is I will never go back to pink again. In my house that I live in, part of it has a crawl space and I am getting it done in the fall. Not sure of the price yet, for the basement it was about $4800. for about 1000 sqft. Keep in mind I'm in northwestern Ontario, and its been -30cto-42c all week
I really like the foam and it gets into every nook and cranny and seals things up.
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You might want to consider insulating the walls of the crawl space and putting down a vapor barrier on the ground. Would take less materials and is a recommended method rather than insulating the floor itself. Google is your friend for doing this.
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #5

Thankyou everybody for your input ! I really appreciatte it and will look into all idea's !!
Old 02-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbofans View Post
I would give consideration to the following:

Pipe and wiring access (if foam covered)
Moisture buildup
Mold/Mildew
Access to sub-floor itself

On our house, We have fiberglass insulation that is held up by a network of string that is stapled in a criss-cross pattern along the joists. Our floors seem to stay tolerable in the winter considering we live in the Pacific NW. Might be less expensive(?).

I hear your pain.. I hate a cold floor.
I have also wondered about pipe access... That's my main worry here in NW Arkansas,, is the pipes freezing... Spray foam would be great to keep them protected,,, BUT as you say, if needed to get to them for a repair could be a real pain.... We've been here 10 yrs now, so far so good as far as no frozen/broken pipes... But better safe than sorry.... Thanks again,,, Monkey
Old 02-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Insulation foam comes in a can to fill in holes, cracks, seams, spots where fiberglass batting/rolls won't easily fit into. Foam noodles are made to fit over water pipes and fittings for the sole purpose of insulating. In lieu of or with fiberglass batting, solid styrene planks/blocks could be used. And if that does not keep out enough of the cold transfer to the floor, You can always install a heated floor system. Electric Radiant Floor Heating by Thermosoft OR you can go old schools and lay carpets or rugs on the floor surfaces.

http://www.sprayfoam.com/spps/ahpg.cfm?spgid=67
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have seen programs where they used spray foam insulation both in the basement and under the floors. Some also have a termite powder in them the termites hate and will not get into your wood with the foam there.

One guy sprayed all joists and floorboards (except for those containing pipes and electrical wires) He then put batt insulation in those areas so he could still get at them if he needed to.

My Mom's floors were freezing and my son and I crawled around with pink insulation and did the joists only. I could not believe the difference and neither could Mom. It was huge comfort wise for her. We also put the Styrofoam pipe covers over her pipes and then batted those runs. No more frozen pipes and no cold floors. Might jus try that if cost is a huge issue.

I went down in crawl space and measured the space. Old place, not all same size. My son cut the piece and sent it to me by a plastic slide that I had hooked a rope to. He also had a rope on his end so he could pull the slide to him to refill it. Worked great!

Good luck either way. Insulation is never a waste of money.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanTee View Post
You might want to consider insulating the walls of the crawl space and putting down a vapor barrier on the ground. Would take less materials and is a recommended method rather than insulating the floor itself. Google is your friend for doing this.
My cousin is on the schedule to have that done to his house as soon as weather permits.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a crawl space liner installed a few years back to cover the nasty dirt floor. At that time they used a spray foam at the joint between the foundation and the house, the plate. It greatly lowered our gas bill, less bugs, no smells, and DRY! I don't worry about frozen pipes because we have hot water heat and there is enough residual heat from the baseboard piping to keep things above freezing down there, even in the coldest winters.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote