Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2022, 09:16 PM   #1

Stain Removal/Covering On White UPVC

With all the incredible knowledge here, whilst this is not RV specific related hoping someone might be able to give me a solution.

So to all you decor, arts and crafts type folks this is my dilemma .........

A liquid air freshener placed on a vinyl/UPVC white window sill spilt and has badly stained to an almost plum colour blotch on the window sill. Likewise on removing some decor items there's other marks where they've sat. Have no idea how to remove these or what to use to cover them so it's not noticeable.

Have tried baking soda/vinegar mix and left on an hour = didn't budge it. Tried toothpaste = didn't work. Wondering if there's anything like a shiny white very thin almost like saran wrap thickness/clingy could maybe place on the whole sill and tuck under between the wood trim at base. Would need to be about 8ft long a shade over 4inches wide.

Alternatively is there a spray or paint type finish I could use that wouldn't be obvious not part of the original window.

Our only alternative we've been told is a whole new window and it's huge and apart from the staining on the sill there's nothing wrong with it.

Much appreciate any and all suggestions to return as like new as possible and best brand name material/solution to use.

Thanks in advance.
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2022, 10:42 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Use oxygen bleach on vinyl products.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:05 AM   #3

Stain

Try a Magic Sponge.
Sam 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:01 AM   #4

Thanks Sam and T&W. Tried both the Oxyclean, another bleach type solution and the Magic Eraser. Nothing is budging the big stain from the spilt air freshener oil that's penetrated.

Can anybody recommend which would be the best white spray type paint the will leave a smooth slight shiny finish in keeping with the untreated UPVC window sills.

Much appreciated.

STBFT.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:00 AM   #5

I have 2 thoughts...
You might try very fine wet / dry sandpaper (wet) like the body work guys use on paint... maybe start a spot trial w 1,000 grit. If it works do more and you can probably finish w finer grits... upnto naybe 4,000 if that's not Shiney enough some rubbing compound should increase the shine.
If above NoGo here's the best damn cabinet paint I've found. Not sure how it works on vinyl but I've painted formica vanity panel with it and it worked as well as on wood.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Insl-X-1...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
It's a water based urethane so very durable, easy to brush or roll and very easy clean up when working. It takes a couple to three thin coats for good hiding and better than heavy coats. I used this first on a bathroom vanity but liked it so well I switched all interior white trim to it.
Good luck and do report back!
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 01:05 PM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
Soak a cloth or gauze pad with hydrogen peroxide and let it set for a while. I have used it on blood stains (don't ask how it happened) and grass stains on new carpet. I was amazed in both cases, then the chemistry awakened from it's deep sleep of XX years
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:36 PM   #7

Thank you everybody so much for your input. We tried the Hydrogen Peroxide (we use that to treat our well water so was at hand), unfortunately to no avail.

Winemaker2 Don = THANK YOU We used the sandpaper and OMG, it was like night and day and shocked us how we were able to remove the deep purple stain, and now there's just a faint yellow outline type stain similar to others where ornaments sat that we were able to remove somewhat to make hardly noticeable. We will be doing that with baking soda and vinegar again later on today.

For now though, it is so so good not to see such a glaring plum colour on our white window sill staring at us any more. Feels a little rough where we removed it with the sand paper but will try fine something to buff it back up if we can.

So THANK YOU everyone for you efforts. For us the Sandpaper did the trick for the most part Don
Old 12-01-2022, 06:49 PM   #8

Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:07 PM   #9

Whitewall tire cleaner works very well, BUT, if there is any sun-rot/deterioration on the surface, that layer will come off too, which leaves a very rough surface- although clean and white.
I used it on yellowed white plastic on the exterior of a 5er, it removed all the yellow and left bright white plastic that was very rough.

Use at your own risk.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, removal