Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2023, 05:03 PM   #29

Getting a tubeless tire to seat on the bead can be difficult. Using starting fluid to provide a "whomp" can be exciting, but the fire should go out immediately and the bead will be seated. If the tire seats on the bead without explosive help, just add air.
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2023, 07:41 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Saw this procedure for the first time ever today. Does anyone know if this trick has ever been harmful? Would you do it if you were desperate?
I have a local fellow trucker that tried this trick, it didn’t end so well for him, lost part of his Rt arm and some of the Rt side of his face when it went bad, he was in the hospital for quite some time, and he was all done truckin! It’s been some time since this happened and I don’t remember how old he was at the time but he was way to young to give up so much of his life, just to put a tire on a rim!

I have always done my own tires , when I had my trucks and now on my coach, if I have a tire that won’t mount up I use a Cheeta bottle.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...79967579768626
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F0FD1715-EC0D-4D39-973F-6D9D2F0EB54D.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	388956  
jdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:42 PM   #31

I own a motorcycle shop and have mounted thousands of tires in our 45 years. Have a bead blaster tank that we built ourselves long ago before you could buy them. But even then you get some tires that just wont seat..
Some atv fat tires that have been pancaked can be hard.. Sometimes we would put a tube in the tire, inflate it enough to widen the tire and then set it outside in the sun for a few hours.. But even then once in a while we still had to use the starting fluid trick...
But.... One day we had a small atv tire that wouldnt seat.. So we used the lighter fluid.. Lit it and no poof... Just caught fire... The wife kicked the tire and "BOOM" and up about 30 feet in the air it went....!
The small atv tire was supposed to only have about 15lbs air. Too much fluid and it overloaded the bead on the underside of the tire and blew it off the rim, (breaking the bead)......
She never offered to do that again.. LOL....

Bob
Old 03-26-2023, 08:59 PM   #32

I learned the hard way: mount rim to spindle first

I learned the hard way on a lawn mower tire that I couldn’t get to seat. I used a ratchet strap and tried and tried and tried.

Finally, I sprayed ether and used my campfire lighter. Unfortunately I had my knee hovering over it when I set it off. It sealed the tire and dang near took my knee off with it as it flew a couple feet off the ground.

I’ll do it again if I have to but the rim is going to be mounted to the spindle and I just may use a little less ether. It ruined my lighter as well.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinG View Post
I learned the hard way on a lawn mower tire that I couldn’t get to seat. I used a ratchet strap and tried and tried and tried.

Finally, I sprayed ether and used my campfire lighter. Unfortunately I had my knee hovering over it when I set it off. It sealed the tire and dang near took my knee off with it as it flew a couple feet off the ground.

I’ll do it again if I have to but the rim is going to be mounted to the spindle and I just may use a little less ether. It ruined my lighter as well.
Your supposed to make a fuse of either leading away from the tire and light that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:56 PM   #34

Don't do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Saw this procedure for the first time ever today. Does anyone know if this trick has ever been harmful? Would you do it if you were desperate?

I was in the tire business for a long time, we use this trick on farm & truck tires, BUT !! we stopped and bought a bead blaster after a few well publicized truck tire explosions in the 90's

The problem was there was still residual vapor in the tire that is still highly explosive (we would deflate and reinflate to minimize this).

That being said, if I am on the side of the road and that's all I have I would likely do it then drive cautiously directly to a tire shop and have the tire remounted with a bead blaster (I'd be sure to warn them first, just in case)

Just my 2 cents
Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:42 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
This can be dangerous if you do not do it correctly. I have seen a tire and rim jump several feet with the "Whoomp". If you are in the way, it could be bad to get "whoomped" by a big tire. I watched one tire shop do this, but they put a strap through the rim and secured the tire and rim to a post so it could not blast-off.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:49 AM   #36

I have done it many times when we owned a repair shop. Just make sure you know what you are doing. I've seen guys that ran into trouble using it sloppily
bushbunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:10 AM   #37

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I wonder if the “boom!” rim seating trick will work on my mountain bike tires?
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:16 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchemie View Post
I wonder if the “boom!” rim seating trick will work on my mountain bike tires?
Absolutly! Just don't get carried away with the starting fluid. And stand back.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens10 View Post
How do you recommend the tire shop get the tire to seal to the rim, they all use some form of bead blaster, even if a pipe with lots of holes. I have used the starting fluid many times, the key is the amount of fluid you use, the "blast" is less loud than the sound made when a tire pops over the ridge on the rim and seats during inflation. Have your ever watched the contortions that the beads go through when installed on the rim using the tire machine, far more stress on the wire than the small explosive force created by seating with either.
@Stevens10 - Thank you for your comment on the destruction that can arise from mishandling on a tire machine. It helps furthers the point of "Bad things arise when you do the wrong things right and the right things wrong".

There are dozens of ways to damage tires during the act of mounting if the installer uses force versus coercion and heck yeah, if a person uses the tire machine's brawn instead of the operator's brain, bead tension will absolutely be compromised.

To further your point, changing "the how" one does things wrong doesn't change their defense for doing it wrong.....

Again - A nominal tire bead WILL be tough and quality beads are super-tough. That is exactly what you want. Hell, I want tires that will make me cuss, scream and moan as I know that is a HUGE contributor to the life expectancy of my tires. A tire that hops right onto the rim will index, self-deflate, cup, wobble and leave the the rim just as easily.

Bead-lock rims do a fair job of keeping the rubber attached to the rim but they are even worse. That doesn't mean they're bad, it means the owner is willing to accept the probability of elevated rim damage, sidewall damage and reduced longevity/durability for traction gains. Tire guys love those dudes, (even the honest ones) because they pay crazy amounts for the rims and rubber and then use the destruction as a badge of honor and testimony to the challenges they faced. I was once one of those "badged" guys, my bad.....

TLDR: My go-to tool of choice has always been to use a light amount of soap/bead lubricant to prevent scuffing of the bead lip on every mount and then ratchet straps as needed. Pneumatic bead expanders are "functional" and certainly worthy but I can feel the resistance to mount through ratchet straps better than anything else. Unlike the "Whoosh or Boom" approach, I'm providing just enough force through gradual transition to achieve the goal. It is not the easiest, nor the most entertaining but it creates the least risk of fraying.

Contrary to those who profit from "misinformation", there is no magical device that indiscriminately determines and directs the appropriate amount of force needed to overcome tension (adjusted for temperature, ply count/tension/vulcanization decay, wheel diameter, lip to seat ratio and sidewall stiffness of course).

Maybe there's a workshop on how to run the calculations in their head for the volumetric rate of expansion to determine the quantity and positioning of flammable liquid or bead blaster charge to achieve the desired rate of expansion thus delivering the optimal coercion without compromising the integrity of the bead. I'm skeptical.

Not to disparage anyone in any way but I don't know of a tire mounter who gravitated to such a career choice because it provides a chance to exercise their doctorates in geometry and mechanical engineering. Hell, maybe they are out there.
Likewise, the best tire mounters are not cheap and you would swear they are masochists who live to cuss but dammit man, it is a thing of beauty to watch them use mere patience, persistence and proper wheel/tire positioning to get to the appropriate quality outcome without compromising their customers.

If none of the afore mentioned gives pause, the typical price of an XZA 365/70R22.5 tire is roughly $1,200.

Who in their right mind wants to hand a shop ~$11K and say, "It's okay to risk damaging my purchase and cause me some serious frustration after I leave here if it means you burning fewer calories and brain cells to do it with optimizing my purchase in mind"?

Great conversation, thank you for the question and thank you if you didn't fall asleep before getting to this statement. We all have our passions....LOL
VKSheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 02:11 PM   #40

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...85b4e3f630.mp4
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:02 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Amateur!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:51 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Size matters!

Tags
fluid, tire