Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2023, 05:07 PM   #43

Send a message via Yahoo to burgmark
Many years ago I worked at a tire shop and have used the starting fluid method many times. We had other ways of beading up car and light truck tires, but for the oddball tire it was sometimes the only way that would work.

We had a band that went around the circumference of the tire in the middle of the tread and tightening that band would cause the sidewalls to spread. You might try that with a tie down strap.

Then we had a doughnut that would fit between the rim and the tire to fill up the empty space. We applied mounting lube to the doughnut and it would pop out as the tire was inflated.

You might also be able to twist the tire on the rim and force the tire down towards the back side of the rim and somewhat seat the tire on one side and then lift up on the tire when applying air to seat the front side.

It does not take that much starting fluid, I'd recommend using a small amount to begin with (2 or 3 seconds of spray). If you repeat several tries just be aware that the tires can get hot, don't damage the tire. Hand-held torches are good for lighting the starting fluid. Works better too if you have a clip-on air chuck and can have someone turn on the air pressure just as you light the starting fluid. We had a machine with a foot pedal.
burgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2023, 08:07 PM   #44

"Old boiler operator...you should enjoy it; Fire and BOOM"

It's all fun until someone gets hurt!
I'd keep the ratchet strap method.

You can also use dish soap on the bead, or duct tape, or foam insulation to get the bead to seat initially. Then deflate and clean the bead up, but keep the bead gap closed and reinflate.
JaimesBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:27 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Nearly 20 years ago my son was working for a mobile home sales company removing older mobile homes. Many times the tires were either flat or even off the rims and difficult to replace. They frequently used the starter fluid method to re-bead a tire. Being a dark area underneath, it was difficult to see well.

As it turned out, the rim was weaked by rust. He used a small amount of starter fluid in the tire and a lighting trail to the side. When he lit the trail the rim became what was the equivalent of a hand grenade sending metal fragments everywhere. He was hit in the arm and face including his eyes. When we got the call from his boss he was already in the hospital. He had metal fragments in bedded everywhere and was being sent for eye surgery. As you can imagine we were worried about his eyesight and upset with his employer.

It's my understanding that the practice of blowing up a tire to get the bead to mount had already been banned for safety reasons. The tire cannon, rapid air deployment method tool, is still allowed.

Fortunately he didn't loose his eyesight, but will never be able to get an MRI due to the small metal bits left in his eyes.

It's your call but you can bet I'll never use the starter fluid or any other flammable liquid to get a tire to bead up on the rim!

Stay safe and enjoy the ride!
Ben
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 12:27 PM   #46

I recall years ago watching a very experienced road service/big truck tire guy pop one on for a tractor using this method. Didn't look like something I'd care to mess with then and I still hold to that.
A few years later that same guy got killed by a split rim when the rim lock blew off. Closed casket funeral.

Incidentally, if you use such a method, make sure it's not on gravel or there are any nuts and bolts, that sort of thing, under it. The sudden inflation can catch small objects and fire them out a claymore. I know at least one purchaser of a new windshield can attest to this. Never minding the additional risk of bodily harm.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, tire