Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2016, 04:59 AM   #1

Stopped for speeding

The DW and I were in the toad, heading to town from the CG, here in upstate NY.

Zipping along, I see a trooper in the mirror. That's when I notice the 35 MPH sign on the other side of the road in my rear view mirror.

OK, they got me. I pull over and the trooper takes my papers and runs them.

When he comes back, he says he doesn't want to write me for 53 in a 35 zone and goes on about the neighbors complaning and his boss wanting him to write something to justifie the stop.

That's when it gets weird. He offers to write me a "dirty plate" ticket.

I hesitate a few seconds and he leans in and asks my DW what she thinks. "Oh, don't ask me", was her response.

I told him I didn't feel comfortable with that. After a long pause, he handed me my license and snapped "Get your car washed" and let me go.

I was willing to take the speeding ticket, what would others do, in this situation ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 05:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The DW and I were in the toad, heading to town from the CG, here in upstate NY.

Zipping along, I see a trooper in the mirror. That's when I notice the 35 MPH sign on the other side of the road in my rear view mirror.

OK, they got me. I pull over and the trooper takes my papers and runs them.

When he comes back, he says he doesn't want to write me for 53 in a 35 zone and goes on about the neighbors complaning and his boss wanting him to write something to justifie the stop.

That's when it gets weird. He offers to write me a "dirty plate" ticket.

I hesitate a few seconds and he leans in and asks my DW what she thinks. "Oh, don't ask me", was her response.

I told him I didn't feel comfortable with that. After a long pause, he handed me my license and snapped "Get your car washed" and let me go.

I was willing to take the speeding ticket, what would others do, in this situation ?
I appreciate your wanting to support NY State with paying a fine for speeding. Your bad!
However I'd count myself lucky. I'd have kept my mouth shut, thanked the cop and be on my way.
Pay attention to signs along the roadway and you won't have to worry about it.
Lynn
Old 06-04-2016, 05:24 AM   #3

Thank the cop for a bogus ticket ?
Old 06-04-2016, 05:46 AM   #4

I would thank the officer for the warning, take the dirty plate ticket, and be on my way. I've received "warnings" where I could have received a "ticket" in the past. I don't see what the moral dilemma is here. This is the officers decision, not mine.
allegro36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:51 AM   #5

I would think that any time I could get a non moving ticket over speeding one I would take it. Dirty plate wouldn't go on your record or insurance.
My second thought is that the cop knew you were speeding but couldn't prove it.
Why he let you go altogether is a mystery.
I think you were very lucky.

pointrow
Old 06-04-2016, 05:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointrow View Post
I would think that any time I could get a non moving ticket over speeding one I would take it. Dirty plate wouldn't go on your record or insurance.

pointrow
AGREE... Non-moving over moving anytime... Just hope your license plate was actually "dirty" and that he was not going to simply make up a bogus violation. Would obviously be nice to know exactly what the trooper was really thinking....
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointrow View Post

pointrow
Your "second thought" theory makes the most sense. Didn't think of that.

I agree, I was lucky.

My theory for the stop was, besides speeding, a kids car ( KIA Soul ) with FL. plates.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:09 AM   #8

Seriously?? A simple non moving ticket over one with points?? Not to mention how much your insurance Co. loves to hear that you got a moving violation, like we don't pay enough for Ins. now. Take whatever the Tpr. offered you and thank him/her he has done his job and got your attention.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
Seriously?? A simple non moving ticket over one with points?? Not to mention how much your insurance Co. loves to hear that you got a moving violation, like we don't pay enough for Ins. now. Take whatever the Tpr. offered you and thank him/her he has done his job and got your attention.
I suppose that if he presented me the ticket, I would have thanked him and driven off, but he asked me if I wanted the lesser charge.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:42 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with what allegro36 posted. Take the non moving violation and be on your way to pick up a few lottery tickets since today appears to be your lucky day. And go buy your wife something shinny that's not associated with the RV. Best answer she could have given.

Normally an officer in the field is given the authority to make discretionary decisions regarding a verbal warning or to what degree to cite an a motorists. 18 MPH is a bit high and would normally get you a summons. 20 MPH over in some areas of the county could result in the impounding of your vehicle for reckless driving, though it's pretty rare. Here in Virginia it's 20 over or in excess of 80 MPH regardless of posted limit. Doing 81 in a 65 will get you an invite to the local Circuit Court and lots of unsolicited mailings from lawyers. Don't ask me how I know.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:00 AM   #11

A long time ago I accepted a "failure to use seat belt" ticket in lieu of a speeding ticket. The township got some money, I was more careful, no increase in insurance fee ... no worries.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #12

We got a missing front plate instead of the well over 80 that we were doing at the time and was very happy about it.

Many times the Leo are just doing their job of keeping the peace.

Many times very bad folks have been captured via simple burned out tail light.

Pull you over for the observed thing and run your data as well as glance inside and if all is well you are on your way.

This goes to attitude...Show respect and smile and you will likely be treated much better than having attitude.

Last ticket I got was maybe 20 years ago doing about 80 on country road but due to my good actions I got the sale price of 65...
Old 06-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #13

I'd have bought a lottery ticket.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I suppose that if he presented me the ticket, I would have thanked him and driven off, but he asked me if I wanted the lesser charge.

Twinboat, that is strange that he "offered" you a lesser charge. It would have thrown me off too. Like, what are you asking me a question like that for? Agree. Weird.
allegro36 is offline   Reply With Quote