Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I recommend the government Medicare program, not the "Advantage" program as offered by AARP and many others.

Along with that I would get the Plan "G" supplement. This pays everything that Medicare doesn't, after a yearly deductible. We had the Plan F supplement for many years which paid everything with no deductible, but found that the Plan G saved us about $400 per year even after paying the deductible! It doesn't matter where you buy the supplement as all companies provide the same coverage, as long as it's a highly-rated company that won't go belly-up when you need them! Agents that sell supplements can go online and shop for the best price for you.

My wife has had a total of 10 neck and back surgeries in the last few years, plus numerous nerve blocks, amounting to several hundred thousand dollars, and we have never paid a cent out of pocket!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
My wife and I went to a Medicare Seminar a couple of weeks ago, put on by the County Government in the county that we live in. She will be turning 65 in November and I remember the speaker saying the the Supplement "F" is going away and will be completely eliminated in the near future. He also suggested strongly the part "G" supplement as the best option to add to the Part A and B.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Tell me about Medicare - turning 65

I also went to several seminars put on by senior organizations ( not AARP) ea state has "SHIBA or SHIP ..."
ea state calls it one or other of those anacronyms for senior health insurance program they also put out a booklet with explanations this is you best info source!
For me being full time they suggest that a "supplement " a-f would be the best choice as anybody that takes Medicare must take you as a patient for my case the f supplement with full coverage 0 co pay full coverage was 125.00 a month in addition to paying the std part
B monthly Medicare which you must pay anyway.
Advantage plans that replace Medicare ( you still normally pay part B to Medicare ... )cover a lot but in most cases you must use their system. Great if you don't travel much
In any case look up SHIBA or SHIP in your area! Open enrollment is coming up ( nov dec ) so they normally gear up at this time of year and have free volunteer councilors that can walk you through all of this They won't recommend specific plans or company's but help you find what best works for you.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #17

If I remember correctly, medicare will not cover you when out-of-country. Will any supplemental plans pickup the coverages when traveling outside the US?
Old 09-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #18

AARP does not offer the Advantage plan in PA. The idea of using an independent agent is fine, but you can get prices for all the plans, available to you, at Medicare.gov and take the time to compare.

Be sure that you add up all the premium payments, when making a decision, because there will be a 100% chance that will be an expense. By using a no premium Advantage plan, I stand a good chance of paying out just a little and a small chance of paying out a lot. For example, we had medical claims totaling well over ten thousand last year and payed out just hundreds.

Which ever way you go, drug costs are still the great unknown. The Medicare.gov site can help with that, but there is no way of knowing what drugs you will need one year in advance.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #19

Wish we didn't have to do government insurance at all.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward3411 View Post
If I remember correctly, medicare will not cover you when out-of-country. Will any supplemental plans pickup the coverages when traveling outside the US?

The Medicare supplement F. I selected covers out of country with limits
Old 09-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I also went to several seminars put on by senior organizations ( not AARP) ea state has "SHIBA or SHIP ..."
ea state calls it one or other of those anacronyms for senior health insurance program they also put out a booklet with explanations this is you best info source!
For me being full time they suggest that a "supplement " a-f would be the best choice as anybody that takes Medicare must take you as a patient for my case the f supplement with full coverage 0 co pay full coverage was 125.00 a month in addition to paying the std part
B monthly Medicare which you must pay anyway.

Advantage plans that replace Medicare ( you still normally pay part B to Medicare ... )cover a lot but in most cases you must use their system. Great if you don't travel much
In any case look up SHIBA or SHIP in your area! Open enrollment is coming up ( nov dec ) so they normally gear up at this time of year and have free volunteer councilors that can walk you through all of this They won't recommend specific plans or company's but help you find what best works for you.
If you compare the yearly cost of the Plan F compared to Plan G, I think you will find that the Plan G will be less cost, even with the deductible. Most agents won't tell you that, because that cuts their commission!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
If you compare the yearly cost of the Plan F compared to Plan G, I think you will find that the Plan G will be less cost, even with the deductible. Most agents won't tell you that, because that cuts their commission!
Might be different companies or state / zip code but for me G only saved 8 bucks a month over F and gained the 169.00? Deductible, at least that's On the open market in my area Actually I used my Union retirement administrator and it subsidizes part F and doesn't offer g and my actual cost is 90 bucks. I looked at using the union retirement plans and all the open market plans the best was 125 F and G was 117 if I remember depending on which company it was offered by .. It was the best in my situation. No matter soon as F goes away after next year for those who haven't taken it. Those who already have it will be grandfathered in ( or so I was told)
G soon will be the only way to go and is a great choice ! ��
Old 09-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
New Mexico. Had Humana plan F at $163/month. Plan G not offered by Humana in New Mexico. Went with Mutual of Omaha plan G at $86/month and the deductable of $183.

163 X 12 = 1956

86 X 12 = 1032 + 183 = 1215

Saves me 741

Wife's savings are 717.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:46 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Medicare A&B plus TRICARE for Life. Benefit of 26 years military service. Consider myself fortunate.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #25

Stay away from the Advantage Plans, get the plan F supplement, You have a window before and after your birthday to get it, Whatever you do get you are basically locked into it for life. The Part D drug plans you can change every year in the Fall. I have a friend who was very healthy his whole life. he took the Advantage plan because it was cheaper and he was healthy. two months later he was diagnosed with Cancer. he has filed bankruptcy and is millions in Debt because of his decision to get the Advantage Plan. I have the Blue Cross Plan J that isn't available any longer but it pays what Medicare doesn't, I don't even get a bill. Good Luck
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:45 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Wish we didn't have to do government insurance at all.
Just 2 comments
1: who says you have to do 'govment' insurance?

2: for 'danny285'
Millions in dedt? Really?
Dan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #27

Everybody has to go on Medicare at 65. Am I wrong?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:07 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My only advice is for folks taking a bunch of Rx meds: MUCH easier letting an independent agent price everything and compare. Different providers cover meds at different rates, co-pays, etc.

An independent agent can check every one of your meds across all the options. For my particular case, out-of-pocket BEFORE meds was $1000 per year cheaper with one provider UNTIL the Rx meds were analyzed. Then Humana became best deal, saving over $2000 annually out of pocket overall - all of it due to one medication.

HTH -
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote