Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #1

Terrible whisky?

I consider myself a bit of a whisky connoisseur. I enjoy good bourbon, and bourbon-style American whisky, both for mixing cocktails, and sippin' whisky. As such, I check in on a few of the various whisky forums, and read reviews and recommendations. I enjoy exploring the different whiskies out there, from small craft distilleries to large corporate brands.

I've been lucky; I haven't loved every whisky I've tried, but the even ones I've liked the least have been acceptable as mixers. Alas, despite it's favorable reviews, I have finally come across an irredeemable whisky: Balcones Baby Blue Corn Whisky from Texas. I find it bland and grassy, with a harsh bite and a truly unpleasant iodine aftertaste. It totally failed as a sipping whisky, so I tried it in a couple of different cocktails. It was still a no-go, the iodine aftertaste was even more prominent. :-P Has anyone else tried this whisky? Maybe I just got a bad batch?

Have any of the other whisky-lovers on the forums come across a bottle of whisky that was too terrible to drink? I wouldn't have minded it so much if it were a cheap grocery store generic whisky, (mind you, I wouldn't buy generic whisky) but this is a high-end craft distillery. But if you have come across some truly terrible whisky, let me know, so I can avoid it :-)

Mrs. M
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are no bad whiskeys, some are just better than others.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
There are no bad whiskeys, some are just better than others.
It's a good philosophy So far, every other whisky I've tried is better than the Baby Blue. I certainly can't drink it, and I can't think of anyone I dislike enough to give the rest of the bottle to.

Mrs. M
Old 11-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am a teatotaller. One of the reasons is that I have yet to find any alcoholic beverage that I consider fit to drink.

In fact.. That is not one of the reasons, it is the ONLY reason.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Thoroughbred - Hecho en Mexico. Tried it in 1962 ( I wasn't old enough to buy whiskey in the US legally) It was almost undrinkable to a bunch of college freshmen
Old 11-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.M View Post
I consider myself a bit of a whisky connoisseur. I enjoy good bourbon, and bourbon-style American whisky, both for mixing cocktails, and sippin' whisky. As such, I check in on a few of the various whisky forums, and read reviews and recommendations. I enjoy exploring the different whiskies out there, from small craft distilleries to large corporate brands.

I've been lucky; I haven't loved every whisky I've tried, but the even ones I've liked the least have been acceptable as mixers. Alas, despite it's favorable reviews, I have finally come across an irredeemable whisky: Balcones Baby Blue Corn Whisky from Texas. I find it bland and grassy, with a harsh bite and a truly unpleasant iodine aftertaste. It totally failed as a sipping whisky, so I tried it in a couple of different cocktails. It was still a no-go, the iodine aftertaste was even more prominent. :-P Has anyone else tried this whisky? Maybe I just got a bad batch?

Have any of the other whisky-lovers on the forums come across a bottle of whisky that was too terrible to drink? I wouldn't have minded it so much if it were a cheap grocery store generic whisky, (mind you, I wouldn't buy generic whisky) but this is a high-end craft distillery. But if you have come across some truly terrible whisky, let me know, so I can avoid it :-)

Mrs. M
I can't help you out with a bad Whiskey but would like to lean on your knowledge about Whiskeys in general. I was recently given a couple of bottles of AH Hirsch Reserve. The bottles say "16 years old, distilled in the Spring of 1974" So I assume that to mean that the bottles were first available for sale in 1990. The person who gave them to me said that they were "special". Do you know anything about this stuff? I prefer Vodka, so not to up to speed on Whiskey.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I didn't think anything was undrinkable to college freshmen.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Jim Beam has to be at the bottom of the list, real swill in my book.

Woodford Reserve is my bourbon of choice.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #9

I tried Three Feathers once, took three rum and cokes to get rid of the taste. I have not acquired a taste for bourbon but give me a good single malt like Oban I am happy.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #10

I have tasted bad whiskey, but never had a bad bourbon. Canadian stuff dont get it at all. Irish I can do, but no appreciate.

Bourbon is made according to strict rules. Of those, Ten High is about the bottom but still has appreciable characteristics.

On the top? Aint been there yet, but Beam aint it. Wild Turkey 101, Very Old Barton, and Makers Mark are pretty top notch.

The search goes on.....
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #11

Rebel Yell is fairly smooth and tasty. Basil Hayden is real good. A bit expencive
Larry Ogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
In the early 80s I played in a band called Ezra Brook. I had no idea what the name meant until the early 90s when a friend from West Virginia brought two bottles of Ezra Brook to me up here in Canada. We drank the first bottle right away. The second one is still in my liqueur cabaret. That's how bad it was.
As far as my present favorite. Forty Creek Double Barrel sipped straight with no ice is it.
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
I can't help you out with a bad Whiskey but would like to lean on your knowledge about Whiskeys in general. I was recently given a couple of bottles of AH Hirsch Reserve. The bottles say "16 years old, distilled in the Spring of 1974" So I assume that to mean that the bottles were first available for sale in 1990. The person who gave them to me said that they were "special". Do you know anything about this stuff? I prefer Vodka, so not to up to speed on Whiskey.
Wow! They must like you a whole lot! The distillery that made that whisky went out of business in the late 80s. They used pot stills to make their whisky, a more labor intensive method of distilling not much in use anymore. The 16 year Reserve is very highly rated (and very pricey). This is seriously good sipping' whisky. You might add a drop or two of water to open up the flavors when you drink it, I wouldn't drink it over ice. Of course, YMMV.

Enjoy your whisky,

Mrs. M
Old 11-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Usually a Gin drinker, but Makers Mark is really good sipping whiskey.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote