Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #15

Rexhall Owners Group
Fiction , Florida State Sales Tax is 7%
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUU View Post
Fiction , Florida State Sales Tax is 7%
Wrong. It's 6%.

FL Dept Rev - Florida Sales and Use Tax
Old 05-21-2015, 04:33 PM   #17
DJJ

But, most counties add the discretionary sales tax allowed by FL. In the Keys (Monroe County) 7.5 %. The rest of Fl its 7%. Because we're so special the Keys are allowed an extra .5%.

Jeff
2003 Dutch Star, 3126B Cat.
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:36 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
But, most counties add the discretionary sales tax allowed by FL. In the Keys (Monroe County) 7.5 %. The rest of Fl its 7%. Because we're so special the Keys are allowed an extra .5%.
Doesn't change the fact that the state rate is only 6%.

No extra tax in Lee county, where I am. Looking at the list, maybe a third of the counties don't have the tax. So it's not "the rest of FL" by any means.

Lee is also the home of the largest Newmar dealer in the country, I believe. Plus many other RV dealers. So it's not hard to buy an RV with only 6% tax.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:24 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Just a few weeks ago, bought a motorhome at PPL in New Braunfels TX. Signed an affidavit that we resided in Oklahoma. Paid zero taxes to Texas. The temporary tag also stated that we did not reside in Texas.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:37 AM   #20
DJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Doesn't change the fact that the state rate is only 6%.

No extra tax in Lee county, where I am. Looking at the list, maybe a third of the counties don't have the tax. So it's not "the rest of FL" by any means.

Lee is also the home of the largest Newmar dealer in the country, I believe. Plus many other RV dealers. So it's not hard to buy an RV with only 6% tax.

But you have to live in Lee county to only pay the 6%. When I bought my RV in Orange County FL, they had to charge the 7.5% because my address was in Monroe county. I bought a new Ford Explorer back in 1998 about 6 months before I moved to the Keys. VA sales tax on new cars was 4.5%. When I went to register the car here in FL the guy at the tax office told me to wait 6 months or he would have to charge me the the 3% difference since I owned the car less then a year. My point is, when buying a vehicle you pay sales tax based on where you register the vehicle. Not on where you buy it. So the original poster has been given the correct information. He buys an RV in FL but registers it in TX he pays the TX sales tax.

Jeff
2003 Dutch Star, 3126B Cat.
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:32 AM   #21

We bought our new MH in Florida but we live in Maryland. Florida is not reciprocal with Maryland either. I think the only sales tax we paid in FL was on the temp registration for FL. The selling dealership must send the paperwork to your home state's DMV (to the actual branch you will go to, to register the MH). Go to your local DMV after the paperwork has arrived, with a checkbook loaded for bear. Also, if the MH is to be registered in more than one name, all parties must be there to sign the documents, unless you have a power of attorney for all other parties. That one got me when I went to Maryland's DMV. A simple Fax from my wife at work and the problem was solved.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas, sale