Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #29
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
I loved the video... Thanks for sharing.... I know that when I give my money to the homeless that there is a good chance it is going to buy more alcohol or drugs...I usually say something like " make sure you buy food with this"...But knowing this doesn't stop me from giving..It is my choice, I will never judge those who I give the money to. Peace....D
I know how you feel, but I believe that if you give from your heart with the right attitude that, even if it is used in the wrong way, God will still bless you for it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #30

Ok, that just brought the tears up. Those moments are so beautiful on both sides. Two days ago, after an exhausting 5 hour drive to look at a rig (I still don't have one and my departure date is July 15th, 2011. YIKES!) I was a bit fog brained and missed my turn off. Well, the next turn off was to the other Bounder I had previously looked at (and waiting for the guy to be flexible with price or carry back so I can get in to the purchase)...

anyways...I pulled off the freeway and there was a little ol man who could hardly walk with a sign that he was a retiree and just needed a little extra help. Living in the Silicon Valley, I know that food is expensive, so I can relate.

I usually reach down and grab change, or I would give a dollar, but this time, maybe because of this thread, I decided to dig deeper and give 5 bucks. I am tight myself trying to get out from under this rent and in to a rig, but I figured, heck, I'm pretty sure I will blow $5 on something I could do with out, so he can have it.

He was quite surprised when he looked down and thanks me profusely then walked toward the car behind me. I alwasy hope that the person behind me will feel less shy when they see me give and roll down their window too. I watched in my rearview mirror, and unfortunately, it did not happen.

As the light turned green, he turned around and gave me a big wave and a smile. I stuck my arm out as far as I could and gave my biggest wave.

I'm hoping that will free up reservations from people the next time they stop.

When I stopped at the store, I found out that I did not have my ATM card. I briefly thought about that 5 dollars I had given out and thought I probably would not have enough cash for the few items I had purchased. I didn't really care, I figured he probably needed it more. Well, I gave it a shot, just in case, and here is the thing:

I had the EXACT AMOUNT I NEEDED!
Robi
http://tumbleweedsandlemonade.blogspot.com
Still looking for the right Bounder
RobiH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #31

One time when I was driving tractor trailer I stopped at a truck stop and a homeless guy walked up to me and asked for a smoke. Since I smoked and knew what it was like to be without one I said "come with me" and I went back to the truck and gave him a carton because I had just bought a couple of cartons in NC.

A few weeks later I was at a warehouse unloading and found out I didn't have any cigarettes. I walked up to another driver and asked him for a smoke. He said "wait a minute" walked away and came back with a carton. He said " I just got a few cartons in NC. so here, have one...

What goes around comes around....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
After my wife Linda died I went to work as a volunteer for Caldwell Christian Ministries to try to fill my days. It is a ware house for people in need. We would get in loads of clothing that had to be sorted and hung on hangers and put out in the ''store'' at bottom line prices for the homeless and the people in need. I was amazed to see how many clothes came in that still had the ''tags on them''. They were brand new and had never been worn by anyone. Sometimes we would get bags and bags of them, all new. When December rolled around they started getting food stuffs, caned goods, dried goods etc.etc. We got lots of canned hams and turkey and all kinds of good things to eat that were perfect for Christmas Dinners. I adopted a family ''number'' to buy Christmas for. They would not let us know the actual ''family name'' so we got a number and a list of what the family needed for themselves and any children in the family. The family I got had two small boys. The boys asked for a new pair of sneakers, a basketball, and a toy car. It also had every ones clothing sizes on the list. I searched thru the racks and found a lot of kids clothes and secreted them away in a special bag for the two boys. I got the mother some nice things also as I was the ''unpacker'' I got sorta first grab at all the ''good stuff''. I naturally paid for the products but I seen that ''my family'' got the good stuff. For the ''toys for the boys'' I had a ball. I went over to Wal Mart and went nuts. Two ''Mongoose'' bicycles, two skate boards, two ''flying saucer sleds'', two radio control cars and a battery charger for each, two basket balls, marbles, silly putty, toy cars, puzzles, two of those remote control airplanes, and a host of items that I figured the little boys would enjoy. When I checked out the lady asked how many ''children'' did I have and I told her none, but I had adopted a couple.....
I carried everything back to the wear house and tagged it with my familys number, 59 as I recall. This is the way everyone did their ''family''. People would adopt familys and bring their item over to us and we would tag everything with their number and put it in a group for the family. The lady I worked for assured me that ''My Family'' would never know whom I was because, in the past, it had caused problems for the ''giver'' if the family knew whom you were. She said they handed it out by ''Number'' also and they never knew the familys name. The family would come to the ware house on the time before Christmas and call for their number and we would hand out the packages. We would also take the donated canned and dried goods and make up a ''Christmas Dinner Box'' for any family that came by. People would request the dinner boxes so we would have some kind of ideas as to how many we needed.......

About two weeks before Christmas they announced that we would need to work all weekend handing out the goods and food to the needy family's. I asked for a job of being a ''Hand out guy'' at the door of the pantry where we gave out the food. This door just happened to be right next to the warehouse door where they handed out the Christmas Gifts with the numbers on them.....hehehehehheh... I are one sneaky fella and I knew I would get to see my family number 59 when they called for their gifts.

Saturday we handed out a lot of boxes of food and most people were greatful for what they go. True, some folks seemed disappointed with the contents but such is life I guess. We stopped about four Saturday afternoon and closed shop. We would open after church Sunday about one oclock. My number 59 family had not come by yet.

Sure enough, Sunday about one thirty I watched a lady hand up her ticket number 59 and they started bringing out my ''stuff''....... She was in an old station wagon and she seemed amazed at the amount of gifts they were bringing her. She stopped them and asked if there had not been a mistake and they were bringing out something for someone else. They told her no, this was all hers. They loaded the old wagon to the brim and she got into the drivers seat and put her head on the steering wheel. She just sat there with her head down, not moving. I knew she had not gotten a food box so I hopped down from the dock and carried a food box over to her car and asked if she was OK? She raised her head from the steering wheel and looked at me and said ….
I was just thanking God for letting there be a Santa with such a big heart to give my boys so much when they asked for so little. She asked if there was any way she could find her sponsor and thank them personally. I smiled at her and I told her no, that it was not possible because we did not know whom the sponsors were that donated the toys for the kids. I sat the food box on her front seat and bid her good by and Happy Christmas from Caldwell Christian Ministry.

One of the greatest things of my life is to help those that really need help.....

God bless our troops and bring them home really soon …......
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heaven dont want me and the devil knows I am nothing but trouble..I am stuck here until I do enough good things to help people to repay for all the terrible things I have done... looks like I will live forever !

Couple heart attacks, many replaced body parts, pain every hour of every day to remind me to stay busy repaying for my chance to depart all of this... do several unsolicited good deeds everyday for those less fortunate than I... how long will it take I do not know but do them I will.. and be glad for every last second I can make a difference !

Be safe, enjoy the open roads and Thank A Vet for our freedom !
Old 08-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
I have nothing but PRAISE for what you have done to help the down and out. Now that being said in the past 2-3 years more and more folks are going out on the Streets and asking for money for food, clothing, a couple of bucks for gas etc. Many of these so called "Homeless-Loss my Job-Hungry people" are out there every day on the same corner, this is their job.
By giving them anything is not helping them, but putting them in danger. As you stop at a traffic light you see them walking up and down the line of cars with their sad signs and someone will wave them over into the stopped traffic with money or food to help them and the next thing the cars start moving leaving this poor soul in moving traffic, there are some people who DO NOT CARE about anyone but themselves and would hit them instead of stopping for 10 seconds so they could get back to the center island.
What we do as we travel, we find out where the food pantry, food kitchen and who has sleeping places and make donations to them. A very good source to find out is the homeless themselves and if they don't know you met someone who is not in need.
We were in the Pheonix, AZ area and was stopping for fuel, on the exit ramp saw this guy pushing a wheel chair on the way back to the interstate saw the same guy in the wheel chair with his leg under his butt begging for money. These are the people who really do not need OUR HELP.
Again thank each and every one of you good folks that try to put a little HAPPINESS in to some one who needs help.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #35

Texas Boomers Club
You never know what "life story" people are carrying with them. It's sooooo easy to look the other way, be judgemental or just flat out "not care about anything but our own problems"............

I think of this song every time I see someone under a bridge with only a bedroll and a blanket or someone on a corner holding a sign that says "hungry". Who knows what brought them to this place ....................

.............and why our paths have crossed.

Do I look away embarrassed that our eyes have met? Do I speed up and pretend I didn't see them?

Or do I reach out to another human being...regardless of their reason "why" and share a little part of the blessings God has granted to me ..with someone less fortunate.

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
I grew up in Philadelphia, in the working class neighborhood Kensington. As many areas of the big cities as the work left the area the workers moved out and the poor moved in. I moved out 45 years ago when I got married, my parents chose to stay. 25 years ago my Pop called and asked me to come over and help some Franciscan Brothers that were building a mission to help the poor. I went over and being a Union Carpenter I called some of my brothers to come and lend a hand. Then we called our freinds that were plumbers, masons and electricians. The St Francis Inn was born. My Mom and Pop started cooking and serving meals. Every day until their health prevented that went and served the poor. Soon the needed a place to house the Priests and volunteers again the call went out and help arrived. They have people that have come and volunteer for years. They do it all on donations. They opened a thrift store that clothed the families. Every person who has helped got more than they gave.When my Pop passed Franciscans that he had befriended flew in from all over the USA to say a few words at his service. one Monk in his Robes played the Bagpipes at the cemetery, standing on a hill under a oak tree. That was payback for all he did and I will be forever thankful. Over the years all my children and grandchildren have voulnteered there and they understand what it means to help the needy. Here is their web site (stfrancisinn.org) Check it out write a check you're soul will feel lighter.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
I grew up in Philadelphia, in the working class neighborhood Kensington. As many areas of the big cities as the work left the area the workers moved out and the poor moved in. I moved out 45 years ago when I got married, my parents chose to stay. 25 years ago my Pop called and asked me to come over and help some Franciscan Brothers that were building a mission to help the poor. I went over and being a Union Carpenter I called some of my brothers to come and lend a hand. Then we called our freinds that were plumbers, masons and electricians. The St Francis Inn was born. My Mom and Pop started cooking and serving meals. Every day until their health prevented that went and served the poor. Soon the needed a place to house the Priests and volunteers again the call went out and help arrived. They have people that have come and volunteer for years. They do it all on donations. They opened a thrift store that clothed the families. Every person who has helped got more than they gave.When my Pop passed Franciscans that he had befriended flew in from all over the USA to say a few words at his service. one Monk in his Robes played the Bagpipes at the cemetery, standing on a hill under a oak tree. That was payback for all he did and I will be forever thankful. Over the years all my children and grandchildren have voulnteered there and they understand what it means to help the needy. Here is their web site (stfrancisinn.org) Check it out write a check you're soul will feel lighter.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
About 2 yrs ago the oldest son (he's 26 now) says "Mom, play this online game with me. You only have to check in once a day or so and it costs nothing to play" Well both my husband and I started to play and quite honestly you cant survive in the game if you don't stay hooked in almost all the time. It's a real time war game and it lasts about 10 months. Well while playing the game we joined an alliance and met some real nice people from all over the world. One particular person was a lady that lived in Texas at the time, we were in Michigan. About 3 months before the end of the game we found out that her very old computer died completely. She and her daughter were having to go to the library, not to play the game but so that the little girl could get her school work done. We also knew that the mom had some medical problems and only had social security and what not to live and would not be able to replace the computer. Thom and I talked about I think for maybe a day and then he went and found a computer online for her for about $300. We had it shipped to her and only told her to "pay it forward" the pay we wanted was to have her help someone else when they need it.
One of Thom's brothers and his family needed a place to stay. Coincidence we needed someone to house sit for while as his company temporary moved us from Michigan to California for "at least six months". The only thing we asked was that they pay the bills that go with house (elec, internet and garbage) not the mortgage. That family is so religious that they only let their kids go to the church school. They go to church Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night and any night they have anything to do its the church. They are no longer even friends with us on Facebook because we aren't christian enough for them. You know what? It does not matter, they need a house for them and the kids and we don't care who's christian and whos not.
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #39

Even in our retirement, we have given a home to a woman in her thirties with three kids; we don't get to travel as much now; and when we do, we take them with us. The lady was a victim of a chlorine spill several years ago, and as a result, the doctor's say her lung condition is that of a 60 year old woman. She has nerve issues from the chlorine called Dystonia, and sometimes when it "acts up", her muscles tense and contract and she will shake uncontrollably. We have had some of our "friends" and church family tell us that we are "allowing" this woman to live off of us and drain our finances. They say this because she is our youngest daughter; my wife's response is that if she were some drug addict, or prostitute that we had rescued, most would pat us on the back and commend us for our "good works". But, because she is our daughter, we are being used. I say not. God did not say help others ONLY if you are not related to them. She has three kids ( out of wedlock ); I disagree with this, but the kids have done nothing wrong; we ARE the security in their life right now, and this is very important for them at their ages of 5,8, and 12.

Yes, "maybe" we are losing some finances, but the love and gratitude we are getting back are way more than we could ever expect. Our daughter KNOWS the doctor's have said her living until her kids are grown is suspect, but she keeps on. The kids, call me Daddy; not at my request, but because that gives them security, and that is okay with me now. At first it wasn't, but soon began to realize that they "needed" to.

So, in spite of the fact that our trips are shorter and less frequent....RETIREMENT IS SO MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE WHEN YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO KEEP YOU BUSY. We have rewards that cannot be stored up in an investment portfolio............
scgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #40

Always carry $50 hidden in the car.

If in RV, it is $1000 min.

Good to have some backups on the road.
slackercrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #41

We stopped one evening at a gas station to fill up the car. I noticed there was a man putting gas in his car. He was in poor health, after putting gas in his car he grabbed 2 garbage bags with cans in them and headed to pay for gas. I got into the station before he did and asked the attendant how much his gas was. I payed for his gas and left never telling him it was taken care of.
One other time we were eating breakfast at a restaurant on Memorial Day. A biker came in and set down across the isle by himself. He ordered breakfast and speaking very softly, he began to recall his time in Vietnam and named the friends that lost there lives to honor them and the battles he fought in. This brought me to tears, so I got his waitress and payed for his meal and tip. I felt this was the least I could do to thank him and his brothers for there service and the freedom we have because of his service .
Mody n Domy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
Even in our retirement, we have given a home to a woman in her thirties with three kids; we don't get to travel as much now; and when we do, we take them with us. The lady was a victim of a chlorine spill several years ago, and as a result, the doctor's say her lung condition is that of a 60 year old woman. She has nerve issues from the chlorine called Dystonia, and sometimes when it "acts up", her muscles tense and contract and she will shake uncontrollably. We have had some of our "friends" and church family tell us that we are "allowing" this woman to live off of us and drain our finances. They say this because she is our youngest daughter; my wife's response is that if she were some drug addict, or prostitute that we had rescued, most would pat us on the back and commend us for our "good works". But, because she is our daughter, we are being used. I say not. God did not say help others ONLY if you are not related to them. She has three kids ( out of wedlock ); I disagree with this, but the kids have done nothing wrong; we ARE the security in their life right now, and this is very important for them at their ages of 5,8, and 12.

Yes, "maybe" we are losing some finances, but the love and gratitude we are getting back are way more than we could ever expect. Our daughter KNOWS the doctor's have said her living until her kids are grown is suspect, but she keeps on. The kids, call me Daddy; not at my request, but because that gives them security, and that is okay with me now. At first it wasn't, but soon began to realize that they "needed" to.

So, in spite of the fact that our trips are shorter and less frequent....RETIREMENT IS SO MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE WHEN YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO KEEP YOU BUSY. We have rewards that cannot be stored up in an investment portfolio............
Bless you for your charity, you will receive much more than you give.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote