Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
What surprises me is that the scammers haven't picked up on sending emails offering Disney Destinations, Bahamas tours, Frontgate, Lane Bryant, you get the idea?

There must be a lot of old rich white guys just waiting to die in the backlands of Nigeria, and I seem to be a descendant of them all. What were all of my uncles thinking?!? So far from home, so sad.

While you are talking about an obvious, and dated, BOA scam, and of course inheriting millions from one of YOUR OWN distant Nigerian uncles, the tip of the iceberg that I mention above would seem to make all internet mail suspicious.

I would recommend that unless you have directly entered the web address of a company from which you are ordering something, don't spend your money!

How do you really know that the Barnes and Noble email you received directs you to the real B&N website.

Be careful with your credit!
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #16

It should be obvious that I knew it was a scam. I just put it out there for those who may have BOA accounts and think it is real. Take away the suspicious wording, and it looks legit.

It is even dangerous to open emails from someone you know, as the the scammers have been known to hijack address books. If it looks suspicious it probably is. I always look at the source code if I'm not sure. Sometimes the 'from' email address looks good, but a closer inspection shows the sender's Real email address.

I don't buy from door-to-door salesmen, and I tell them that right after I answer the doorbell.
Just yesterday, I told some "Minister" that, and he started begging for a donation. Slam goes the door.

Or I sic Alarm Dog on them; which doesn't take too much after said alarm has been activated.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudtheDiplomat View Post
What surprises me is that the scammers haven't picked up on sending emails offering Disney Destinations, Bahamas tours, Frontgate, Lane Bryant, you get the idea?
That's reserved for Sheriff Joe, The toughest sheriff in America. He uses that to lure outstanding warrant recipients into thinking they are getting a free vacation. Well, they are, kinda, sorta.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #18

I see that Sheriff Joe is under federal investigation. Anyone know why?
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
And state too, for letting years and years of child abuse casees go ignored.

For federal, for enforcing AZ SB 1070, which is an AZ law enforcing the laws against illegal immigration that the feds won't enforce.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
This is the fine print that came with a very good Phishing attempt from what looks to be a good BOA web site. I don't have a BOA account and never did, nor will I ever.

Beware if you see something like this. It is not legitimate.

"Your account might be placed on restricted status. Restricted accounts continue to receive payments, but they are limited in their ability to send or withdraw funds. To lift this restriction, you need to login into your account (with your username or SSN and your password), then you have to complete our verification process. You must confirm your credit card details and your billing information as well. All restricted accounts have their billing information unconfirmed, meaning that you may no longer send money from your account until you have reactivated your billing information on file."
I've seen almost the exact narrative associated with an e mail about a PayPal account. The only difference was they supplied a link to what appeared to be the PayPal site. Both the e mail and the site were bogus
Old 12-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #21

I've seen that too. If you don't type in the web address, don't go there.

A little off topic(Dunner can do that since he started this topic), but what do the people who create viruses get out of it? 15 minutes of fame? Do they win a contest with other virus creators? Do they get subsidized by Norton or McAfee? If I it had my way, they would win the death sentence for creating one, a lifetime friendship with "Bubba" for passing one on and 10 years in Sheriff Joe's Tent City for just knowing either of the above. Seriously, they are lower than pond scum.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
It is even dangerous to open emails from someone you know, as the the scammers have been known to hijack address books. If it looks suspicious it probably is. I always look at the source code if I'm not sure. Sometimes the 'from' email address looks good, but a closer inspection shows the sender's Real email address.
Spot on, except the 'real email address part'. Only if the sender wants you to reply to the message will there be a valid email address there. Normally they want you to click a link in the email instead. This is something I know a bit about.

Any displayed email address is unreliable for detecting fraudulent email. People who say 'I only open email from people I know' don't understand this. They are arbitrary fields that can be filled with any address they want. You can NOT reliably find out anything in the 'from' or 'reply-to' information in email.

Anyone with the knowledge of how SMTP (the email protocol) works can send an email to anyone that appears to come from anyone else, using nothing but tools included with every copy of Windows since Windows for Workgroups v3.11. There is _no_ sender verification in the email protocol. You can be anyone you want in email, and there is nothing in the protocol that will stop you, and you don't need special tools or skills to do it.

There are hundreds of ways spammers will get 'associated' email pairs so they can get their email past spam blockers, etc. You are likely to have your friends email in your white-list. If they have yours and your friend's, they bypass the spam blocker.

For instance, this time of year, spammers will use online greeting cards to collect email information. You find a cute greeting card, put in your email, your friends email and some other information so you can send it to your friend. All that information is collected and sold on the spam market.. They have YOUR address, and YOUR FRIEND's address, and anything else you gave them. Whoever they sell this to can now send email AS YOU to YOUR FRIEND for whatever nefarious purposes. Never put anyone else's email into a web form. You are doing them a disservice, no matter how cute the greeting card is.

Dunner has it right, if you look at the source code of the message, and you know what to look for, you will see dead-giveaways for phishing.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #23

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
Improper use of funds, abuse of power (harrassing critics), improper treatment of suspects and prisoners, and racial profiling. Recently, he has come under fire for the improper handlingnof sexcual abuse cases in a town that once contracted MCSO for their police needs.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
It should be obvious that I knew it was a scam. I just put it out there for those who may have BOA accounts and think it is real. Take away the suspicious wording, and it looks legit.

I don't buy from door-to-door salesmen, and I tell them that right after I answer the doorbell.
Just yesterday, I told some "Minister" that, and he started begging for a donation. Slam goes the door.

Or I sic Alarm Dog on them; which doesn't take too much after said alarm has been activated.

That' a mini pin right, not a real dog, but I'ii bet it barks up a storm Take a look at my avatar Zeus if you want to see a real dog, all 110lb of slobbering American Bulldog
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #25

Have you put a mirror in front of his nose to see if he is still breathing?

Old 12-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Have you put a mirror in front of his nose to see if he is still breathing?
Sometimes he doesn't move for days LOL
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #27

I've had a week like that one day.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #28

This type scam email always has improper sentence construction, and punctuation. I'm told English is the hardest language to learn properly. It takes close attention while reading, but it can be spotted. Sounds like that is what alerted you.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote