Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2019, 11:41 PM   #1

The Greatest Generation

Today is the unofficial day to celebrate the greatest generation, which is almost entirely gone and I fear will never been again.

For many, many reasons, D-Day will never happen again. Partly for technical reasons, partly for the changes of life. The D-Day soldiers knew where they were going, what they would be facing, and still went. They saw their friends and mates mowed down by machine guns and kept going, no matter what. Many of them were awake more than 72 hours with the last 48 on the ground fighting.

To the remaining soldiers of D-Day I salute you, and those that died at Normandy and beyond I think of you often. For some reason, I guess because of the beatdown of the Germans as opposed to the bombing of Japan. My father spend D-Day on tender outside of Pearl Harbor repairing damaged ships, and I know how he sacrificed there, but he instilled the magnificent sacrifice of D-Day in me.

Kelly's father served in the Marines, then Army during WWI, and the Army during Korea and Vietnam, earning 2 Silver Stars (OLC) in less than a month in Korea as a Green Beret and retired as a SGM.

I also had the distinct privilege of meeting General Bradley's widow less than a year after his death and got to take a tour of his personal library at his residence at Ft. Bliss.
Again, thanks to the soldiers of D-Day. The world would not be the same without your sacrifices.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2019, 07:31 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you for the post today. We owe them a lot and I’m thankful for their sacrifice.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:37 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
They truly were the greatest generation!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The generation that fought through WWII are certainly due all kinds of respect. In particular, D-Day is a pivotal event in that war.

HOWEVER...

I'm saddened that we are short changing the sacrifices of generations of military members who have been called to duty in more recent wars. Needless to say, Korean and Vietnam veterans have not been given any serious respect until recent times. I would also point out that since 9-11 many of our military members have endured multiple deployments and spent more time in combat zones than WWII veterans did.

It is for that reason I challenge the use of "greatest generation" because I see it as a slap in the face of those that have fought and died since.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
They truly were the greatest generation!
I couldn’t agree more. While everyone who has served deserves our appreciation, today is the day to remember what happened on the beaches of Normandy 75 years ago.

The FDR Presidential Library has preserved his great speech on this day, in 1944.
https://www.fdrlibrary.org/d-day
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
They were The Greatest Generation! My 90 year old uncle was a tail gunner in a B17. He passed last year. So sad to see all those Heros leave us.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:30 AM   #7

We can not Honor our Vets if we continue to buy Japanese & German vehicle,That is also a slap in the face.Please keep your Values to UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Mike
on safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #8

They are the greatest generation because they grew up during the depression and fought in WWII. I own a RV made in the USA, a Jeep made in the USA and a Harley made in the USA.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
They are the greatest generation because they grew up during the depression and fought in WWII. I own a RV made in the USA, a Jeep made in the USA and a Harley made in the USA.

Thank You for your support to the USA, I
own the same.

Mike
on safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #10

NEVER FORGET

Freedom is not free

THANKS to all that served this great country!

Tags
test