Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2011, 04:15 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I truly believe no child left behind is really working. They are all working for minimum wage.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #30

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How far we have come from the topic of Elvis.

Given the current crop of "artists" who are making the big time selling their material, it is no wonder that Elvis and many others have been forgotten except on the late night Time Life commercials. It appears that the average retention span for previous top artists is less than 2 years. It is no wonder that the King is erased - he died 34 years ago.

There is no question that our education system is in disarray. The Federal government's influence over it has not been good. The strongest schools are local ones and I'm glad to see more charter schools and home schooling. It shows that some people still value the education process and are not as interested in warehousing and babysitting kids instead of teaching them. I know that there are dedicated teachers out there so my remarks are directed at those who are setting the direction for the educational environment. Everyone understands that good education comes from fancy buildings. Just look around.

Unfortunately, I am one of those who has atrocious spelling. In a giant educational experiment, we were taught "sight reading", not phonics and I've spent 50 plus years trying to overcome that problem. Spell check is a wonderful thing for me. I spell a lot better today than I ever have before.

Sometimes people loose sight of the fact that forums like this one and other facilities like instant messaging or Twitter are "top of the head" kinds of environments. I'm constantly re-reading my posts and wondering how I could have been so stupid to used the lousy grammar, bad spelling or a host of other mistakes. If I would only take the time to edit my own material, it would be a lot better. On the flip side, however, are those who are so focused on finding errors that they miss the message that the words were trying to convey. While the lack of precision in our writing can be the cause of misunderstandings, IMHO, most misunderstandings are the result of people talking or writing past one another. No spelling or grammar corrections are going to fix that.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Funny business this! I heard the same comments about the kids from my parents, and they heard it from there parents. At least it's not getting any worse.

Perhaps our point of view changes a bit as we age and get wiser.

Those darn kids will never amount to anything, lucky were here to hold them up.

Dick

P.S. There are a lot of fine young kids around today, one of the best ways to meet them is to take a walk while RV'ing. Most are camping with their folks in tents and wading in the rivers with a dog. They haven't been spoiled by a $300.000.00 Moter Home Yet.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
P.S. There are a lot of fine young kids around today, one of the best ways to meet them is to take a walk while RV'ing. Most are camping with their folks in tents and wading in the rivers with a dog. They haven't been spoiled by a $300.000.00 Moter Home Yet.
Point well taken!
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #33

Yep, try explaining why you name your boxer Casius Clay (call him Cash for short). People just look at you strange.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #34
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Yea, I went to a hot dog place one day and the computers were down the Manager was there adding the bill for the kids and telling them how much change to give back. Also went to a roast beef place and at the drive through on my motorcycle I was asked if it was for here or to go? I told her to bring me a tray and I would eat it right here at the window. She just stared and looked confused.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:02 AM   #35
GPW

For your consideration , just consider what "average intelligence " really is ... One person in this country (or world) is right in the middle (average ) therefore one half of the population is above average , the other half is dumb as dirt ... Easy to realize at Election time ...

And if you have a problem with the children , then you also have a problem with the parents who "allow" them to be that way !!! Given the previous assessment , you can see why things are the way they are ...
We can only blame ourselves !!!
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #36

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPW View Post
...the other half is dumb as dirt ... Easy to realize at Election time...
True that.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #37

National RV Owners Club
No, he is alive and well. Hiding out in Marble Falls Texas.

Texun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Elvis lives forever in our hearts!
crtrrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #39

I thought Elvis had left the building. I make it a point to get into conversations with young people I come in contact with and ask them American history. Ask who were the Axis powers in WWII and they don't have a clue. When told that Italy, Germany, and Japan were against us, they don't believe you. They think Russia was against us. No clue about the civil war. Making change in their head is an unknown concept. Many have very limit computer skills. Frankly, I am worried about the future of our country.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
I dint know the king was dead... I thought he had another year and a half to serve?
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #41

It's not just the American kids who are not terribly bright!

38% of Americans can't even pass the US citizenship exam!

Some of the lowlights:

- 1/3 can't tell you when the Declaration of Independence was adopted.
- 65% can't explain what happened at the Constitutional Convention
- 88% can't name a single writer of the Federalist Papers.
- 80% can't name the president during WWI
- 40% can't name our enemies in WWII (just a few years ago!)
- 73% don't know that we were fighting communism during the cold war (guess that's why so many embrace it today.)
- 61% don't know that a Senator's term is six years.
- 86% can't tell you there are 435 representatives in the House of Reps.
- 81% can't list a single federal power under the Constitution
- 63% can't tell you how many Supreme Court Justices there are.
- 70% don't know that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land.
- 94% don't know that there are 27 Amendments to the Constitution.
- 59% can't name the current Speaker of the House.
- 67% don't know what type of economic system we officially have in the USA.

Only 53% of adults know how long it takes for the Earth to revolve around the Sun.
Only 59% of adults know that the earliest humans and dinosaurs did not live at the same time.
Only 47% of adults can roughly approximate the percent of the Earth's surface that is covered with water.
Only 21% of adults answered all three questions correctly.

American students were once ranked as one of the top countries in math and science in the world, our rank has fallen drastically. We are currently 35th in math and 29th in science worldwide.

Ignorance abounds in our country! Could that be the reason we are making draconian cuts in education? Remember a couple of years ago when parents pulled their children out of school because they didn't want their children to hear our President's speech to encourage them to stay in school? Look at the reaction in this country to the Tiger Mom! How can we expect any more from our children when we don't put a priority on their education?

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
2005 BMW K1200LT on lift
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote