Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2021, 02:51 PM   #1

The miller moths are back in the Front Range

They are just getting started in the last few days. I have swatted one or two a day this week.
At their worst last year I had great luck trapping 30+ a night in a bucket of soapy water under the white range light in the kitchen. I am going to substitute a UV light bulb for the white bulb and should do even better this year. There's no way to keep them out of the coach and insecticides don't do much to them.
[emoji40][emoji382]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2021, 02:58 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I swear they can crawl through any opening not welded shut! My experience with them was last year about this time...
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:50 AM   #3

My DW saw one crawl between the microwave and its cabinet yesterday. They can really hide during the day.
[emoji40][emoji382]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 05-10-2022, 10:42 PM   #4

WORD OF THE DAY: Mottephobia
I swatted the first one I saw this year in the coach yesterday. Tonight, when I turned on the kitchen light 3 of them swarmed around my head. They are here 3 weeks earlier than last year. We are in Loveland, CO now.
I just put a 2 1/2 gallon bucket half full of soapy water(Dawn, of course) up close under the range light under the microwave. I expect to have an increasing number of dead moths in the bucket every morning until they head up into the mountains.
They are hard to swat and easy to stun but hard to kill when you connect. They leave a dusty smear on the wall or furniture which needs to be cleaned up so swatting and insecticides are pretty much a waste of time and effort.
This link has a lot of useful information on the adult army cutworms aka Miller moths.
https://agsci.source.colostate.edu/e...entomologists/
[emoji40][emoji382][emoji382]... [emoji382][emoji40][emoji106]
Old 05-11-2022, 09:58 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
One of the few things I do not miss about living in Colorado in the front range foothills.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:27 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Man, geez, not that time of year already! Got one the other day, it was pretty evasive for a couple of days but I won. Unfortunately more to come or is it just "Miller" time.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:39 PM   #7

So far the moths haven't been too bad. I can put up with them. But the wasp have come out early! I've killed 4 in the house so far. I'd rather have moths.
pnebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:15 AM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
WORD OF THE DAY: Mottephobia
I swatted the first one I saw this year in the coach yesterday. Tonight, when I turned on the kitchen light 3 of them swarmed around my head. They are here 3 weeks earlier than last year. We are in Loveland, CO now.
I just put a 2 1/2 gallon bucket half full of soapy water(Dawn, of course) up close under the range light under the microwave. I expect to have an increasing number of dead moths in the bucket every morning until they head up into the mountains.
They are hard to swat and easy to stun but hard to kill when you connect. They leave a dusty smear on the wall or furniture which needs to be cleaned up so swatting and insecticides are pretty much a waste of time and effort.
This link has a lot of useful information on the adult army cutworms aka Miller moths.
https://agsci.source.colostate.edu/e...entomologists/
Well, being just north of you in Cheyenne, we haven't seen any as of yet.

However, I'm sure they will be here soon........Once again. LOL

Curious to know if the water with Dawn in it actually works? I know it kills the hell out of box elder bugs.
Wife always wanders around the outside with a spray bottle of water/Dawn and kills the box elders.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger608 View Post
Well, being just north of you in Cheyenne, we haven't seen any as of yet.

However, I'm sure they will be here soon........Once again. LOL

Curious to know if the water with Dawn in it actually works? I know it kills the hell out of box elder bugs. [emoji23]

Wife always wanders around the outside with a spray bottle of water/Dawn and kills the box elders.
There are a lot fewer of them than last spring when we were camped near Colorado Springs. I would usually dump double figures of dead moths from my bucket into the black tank every morning. The water with Dawn helped keep my liquid level sensors clean and indicating properly.
Tide in the black tank also works well but it doesn't suds up like Dawn does. When the moths accidentally hit the suds they stop moving pretty quickly. I don't know if the chemicals in the suds kills them or immobilizes them until they drown.
I think maybe the almost constant day and night high prevailing westerly winds we have experienced might have made their annual migration much more difficult than previous years.