Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2022, 05:02 PM   #1

Things to Come or just transit?

This Tuesday 6/28 a friend drove through NW Florida and stopped for gas in Crestview. He went to five gas stations before he found one that had gas. Today at Sunday lunch with family one family member said that the local station near Gulf Breeze was also out of gas.

Currently these outages seem to be local and spotty. But I am wondering if others are see this same thing? Is this a prelude to things to come?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2022, 06:03 AM   #2

Independent stations can only make money when prices are stable. But the big guys sometimes take the hit also. Re the Flying J bankruptcy.
I was pushed out of business in northern Maine, over the millennium, by a large New Brunswick based concern.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Independent stations can only make money when prices are stable. But the big guys sometimes take the hit also. Re the Flying J bankruptcy.
I was pushed out of business in northern Maine, over the millennium, by a large New Brunswick based concern.
You wonder what will happen to the big guy fueling businesses when EV’s begin ruling the roost.

Since there are new gas and diesel stations, still being built, it appears they are not to concerned as of now.

To the OP, we have seen no shortages here in south central Texas.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:41 AM   #4

You will see shortages ! I work in oil production (55yrs) never in those years have I ever had to shut down leases because I had nowhere to put the oil ! Our buyers cannot pick up the oil because they have nowhere to take it ! reason ? Refineries are getting out of the gasoline production and going to lubricants only ! We had a refinery within 50 miles of our production facilities and they stopped gasoline production so now it has to be hauled several hundred miles and that refinery is overwhelmed! So get ready to see more and more shortages ! Not one new refinery has been built in over 40 years ! EV are in the future like it or not ! And it will not be cheaper! In fact I feel it will cost much more ! This is what the brainwashed younger generation wants ! No petroleum! Horses just may make a comeback!l only time will tell ! Lol !
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:47 AM   #5

"Things To Come" H G Wells. Watch for it on a streaming channel. Amazing insight!
Old 07-04-2022, 08:55 AM   #6

Interesting.

At least according to Gas Buddy as of this minute there are no gas outages in that area:

https://tracker.gasbuddy.com/?lat=30...05068591230297

https://tracker.gasbuddy.com/?lat=30...56620089193466

And, we have found that site pretty accurate-- use it after hurricanes when traveling right after a storm.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Interesting.

At least according to Gas Buddy as of this minute there are no gas outages in that area:

https://tracker.gasbuddy.com/?lat=30...05068591230297

https://tracker.gasbuddy.com/?lat=30...56620089193466

And, we have found that site pretty accurate-- use it after hurricanes when traveling right after a storm.
GasBuddy can only report info it receives from members. Now then, I have reported a branding change for a favorite station, over and over again, with no update happening. Reviewers of that station have also. It is what it is.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:35 PM   #8

Spotty shortages are probably due to the heavy demand over the holiday weekend IMHO. I was just at Costco this morning and they were out of DEF..
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
{tip-toeing around politics}... it's kind of a fantasy for the public to think that any individual, elected world leader, acting lawfully, can unilaterally make policy that significantly alters the use of commodities outside their home country. It's hard enough to change the domestic uses...

There are always causes for shortages, one of them for gasoline is a lack of domestic refining capacity and the geographic locations of the remaining refiners (which ties to product transportation issues). We still pump a whole lot of USA oil but not all of it stays in the USA, so there is that as well.

Short of nationalizing the production of motor fuels I'm not sure there is a "policy" solution, and there would be rightful opposition to such a dramatic effort, an effort unlikely to solve the real barriers to efficiency anyway.

It's convenient to ascribe both positive and negative things to presidents, senators, mayors, governors... but once one realizes that correlation is not causation those myths should be busted. In the past few decades it's been common to praise or blame a POTUS for 'the economy', something the office has little direct control over, and a level of immediacy that is akin to stopping or turning an aircraft carrier. That's why I tend to question why folks think that any given election date is seen as solution or failure; the results of 1 office's election are not immediate and seldom have hands-on impact in a lasting way - lasting change requires Congress. The election or defeat of a particular candidate may have psychological impact on markets or other politicians, but executives have little in the way of tools to unilaterally make *permanent* policy changes.

Localized fuel shortages are usually tied to either refinery capacity or product transportation (pipelines, mostly) failures. Remember the Colonial Pipeline ransomware attack about 14 months ago? Nothing to do with who was or wasn't in whatever office... and everything to do with network security.

Very accurate assessment.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:16 PM   #10

Where I drive I have seen closed stations. I attribute this to some being under independent ownership and having marginal sales and others actually only being open certain times of the year. Some are seasonal.

I can report no station being open with a "No Gas" sign posted... yet.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 04:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog2 View Post
You will see shortages ! I work in oil production (55yrs) never in those years have I ever had to shut down leases because I had nowhere to put the oil ! Our buyers cannot pick up the oil because they have nowhere to take it ! reason ? Refineries are getting out of the gasoline production and going to lubricants only ! We had a refinery within 50 miles of our production facilities and they stopped gasoline production so now it has to be hauled several hundred miles and that refinery is overwhelmed! So get ready to see more and more shortages ! Not one new refinery has been built in over 40 years ! EV are in the future like it or not ! And it will not be cheaper! In fact I feel it will cost much more ! This is what the brainwashed younger generation wants ! No petroleum! Horses just may make a comeback!l only time will tell ! Lol !

i don't think it is so much that the younger generation wants Ev's but the people in DC and global greenies
boiledowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 04:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Spotty shortages are probably due to the heavy demand over the holiday weekend IMHO. I was just at Costco this morning and they were out of DEF..

i read where there is, will be, and will get worse concerning the availability of DEF
boiledowl is online now   Reply With Quote