Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
in Tennessee we pay 24.00 for license plates property taxes are very reasonable ,no state income tax, decent weather most months and a short drive to florida in the middle of winter come join us y'all
brianj
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #16

Jayco Owners Club
You can look for houses on Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgage & Home Values in the US
You can get a feel for the city, hospitals, civics, etc at City-Data.com - Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more if you scroll towards the bottom you can see how the city votes, etc.
You can get a feel for taxes at Taxes by State
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I thought South Carolina had really high RV & vehicle yearly registration s fees?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #18

Jim, a heads up on long term care.

We are in Florida, 7 miles from the Florida/Alabama border. Moved here a year ago. We found out that Florida is pretty good about dealing with folks who end up needing long term care (being in our seventies it is an important consideration). If you end up on Medicaid (not Medicare) because you can't pay for long term care, Florida lets you keep your home, one car newer than 7 years old, and other assets that Alabama may consider as assets that will disqualify your Medicaid application. We spoke to 2 lawyers who practice in both states, and they say hands down that for asset protection Florida is the state to live in.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:44 PM   #19

I visit Greenville s.c. Often and love the area. Lots to do there and lots more within and hour or two. Beautiful four seasons and good medical care.
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:23 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I thought South Carolina had really high RV & vehicle yearly registration s fees?

I lived in Charleston for a couple years, and thank goodness I was Active Duty military or the yearly fees would have hurt. Something to look into for sure.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:28 AM   #21

We've been on the road for 5yrs. now, and have yet to find a place we want to squat. We quickly realized that no place is a shangri la. It might still be out there somewhere, so we'll just have to keep looking.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #22

Let's start with Silver Springs. What do you really like about it, and what would you want to change about it?
Old 03-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
If you end up on Medicaid (not Medicare) because you can't pay for long term care, Florida lets you keep your home, one car newer than 7 years old, and other assets that Alabama may consider as assets that will disqualify your Medicaid application. We spoke to 2 lawyers who practice in both states, and they say hands down that for asset protection Florida is the state to live in.
Well, heck, our trust attorney is in PNS and I don't recall him mentioning that..but we were younger at the time.

Would a living trust provide those protections that you refer to?
Old 03-12-2015, 07:13 PM   #24
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Nice area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabono View Post
I visit Greenville s.c. Often and love the area. Lots to do there and lots more within and hour or two. Beautiful four seasons and good medical care.
I, too, like the Greenville area. I live in MI, but got exposed to the area by serving on a committee that met near Clemson University for two or three days twice a year, once in June and once in January, for over 15 years. Really loved the weather while there. I liked the area so much that a position opening in my area came across my desk in late 90's. I applied and actually was offered the position, but turned it down last minute. Greenville is a fast growing community and it has one of the largest per capita of engineers in the US- I thought that was interesting!
Old 03-13-2015, 06:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Let's start with Silver Springs. What do you really like about it, and what would you want to change about it?

We don't live in Silver Springs, just here for the month of March before we start our slow journey to Maine for the summer. We were further south for the month's of Nov. thru Feb.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #26

Nor'easters Club
sprayman, I spent 75 yrs in mass and now call florida home. So carolina is nice but they had some bad/cold weather this past winter. Like others said take you time just get in the tt and stay here and there a week at a time and pick up the realty books along the way and go to open houses and LOOK. We did just that and it worked out fine for us. Good luck with your joyney. paul...
pjkellrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:27 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I would agree, the Greenville area is definitely worth a look if committed to South Carolina

The property taxes on vehicles and RVs can be considerable. We own an RV lot about an hour south of Greenville. Other than the lot the only property we have registered there is our pontoon boat. Taxes on the boat and motor are over $800 per year (they do diminish over time). Several years ago, just before we retired from Wisconsin, I called the local tax office and asked for an estimated tax on the older gas motorhome we had at the time and the Jeep we owned at the time. The estimate was close to $2000.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 AM   #28

Appalachian Campers
Can't help you for the most part, but in Georgia my yearly tag fee is $709 for what they consider a $43,000 fifth wheel so make sure you include that in your research.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote