Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jim..... DW and I made a similar move about 8 years ago. Boston native, lived around there about my whole life, til we decided we'd had enough of the winters. Targeted the mid-Atlantic, wound up in Raleigh at the behest of her company.

No regrets other than family, but you will have to adjust to the summers. The eastern Carolinas are lowland coastal plains, and summers are very hot and very humid. Period.

Western, nearer the mountains, is somewhat better. Others have suggested the Greenville SC area, and I would concur. Several attractive little towns along the highway there. Gaffney is one I've had occasion to visit a few times. Very nice place.

Good luck!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2015, 09:52 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
Can't help you for the most part, but in Georgia my yearly tag fee is $709 for what they consider a $43,000 fifth wheel so make sure you include that in your research.
They changed the law in GA. Now you pay the taxes the first year you register it in GA and then it costs you $20 a year to renew your registration. If you purchased/registered your vehicle/RV in Georgia before 1012 (?) you are stuck under the old law where you will have to pay the ad valorem taxes every year.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #31

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
They changed the law in GA. Now you pay the taxes the first year you register it in GA and then it costs you $20 a year to renew your registration. If you purchased/registered your vehicle/RV in Georgia before 1012 (?) you are stuck under the old law where you will have to pay the ad valorem taxes every year.

Jon
Only if it has an engine. I bought this in 2014 but since it's a towable it goes under the old law.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:29 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Only if it has an engine. I bought this in 2014 but since it's a towable it goes under the old law.
Thanks. I didn't realize the new law only pertained to vehicles with engines.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
Old 03-18-2015, 09:10 AM   #33

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Thanks. I didn't realize the new law only pertained to vehicles with engines.

Jon
Yeah, I found that rather irritating myself. Couple that with the county not being able to tell me what the tag would cost until I brought a final purchase agreement in and my dealer telling me that tags for these run $300-400 a year I jumped straight to perturbed when I was told $709 a year for my tag. Our roads must be inlaid with gold! Lol!
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:29 AM   #34

Thinking of moving

Left NH 12 years ago, Beautiful White Mts, not like the flatlands of Mass, nor the taxes and all the other BS, Plus record breaking snow. Anything north of St Petersburg Fl. is cold and dreary. Take the advice given to travel and then decide. A number of good places to settle down with low cost factors and good weather all year.
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Left NH 12 years ago, Beautiful White Mts, not like the flatlands of Mass, nor the taxes and all the other BS, Plus record breaking snow. Anything north of St Petersburg Fl. is cold and dreary. Take the advice given to travel and then decide. A number of good places to settle down with low cost factors and good weather all year.
What about all the sinkholes in FL ???? Just kidding,, I'd LOVE to live there !!!!!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #36

We love the Ozarks in Missouri. We have been everywhere and nothing compares.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:32 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Yeah, I found that rather irritating myself. Couple that with the county not being able to tell me what the tag would cost until I brought a final purchase agreement in and my dealer telling me that tags for these run $300-400 a year I jumped straight to perturbed when I was told $709 a year for my tag. Our roads must be inlaid with gold! Lol!
And now they want to raise the tax on gas to pay for the repair on those roads.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy