Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2021, 12:12 PM   #1

This weekends campsite watch event

Went to the -- wont say where in case it's someone here -- area. And I hope it's not. Beautiful park. The main goal of the trip was visiting some nearby places of interest. Coming back in from one of the excursions, there was someone having the dangdest time backing into their site. We waited fro awhile, and they gave up at one point and just got out of the way so the little bit of traffic could pass, then went back to their attempt to back. They finally got it. Then came leveling. They had some plastic levelers, and instead of making a ramp, they made a stack and tried to drive up a wall. It didn't work and it looked like they ended up backing all the way into a barrier at the back of the parking area as the plastic just slid along. There was a loud crunch but we couldn't see any bits or rv parts on the ground. They finally got that part, and of course I was wondering why it was even needed because the sites seemed to be perfectly level. Ours didn't need anything.

When leaving, they left half an hour before us. When we stopped at the dump station, oh the adventure that was unfolding. It looked like they had purchased every dumping and flushing accessory known to mankind and was trying to use them, all at once. We could see three water hoses hooked up, the slinky was fully supported with it's thingy all the way to the final destination. There was a pump of some kind connected directly to the outlet of the rv. You could hear it buzzing. One hose wasn't on good and was spraying the guy and everything else. There was a tote opened up and it's contents of ropes and cords were out scattered about. There was even a case of Coke's. Thankfully, my ex is just that, ex. She would have hounded me and wouldn't have shut up until she made me go help. So this time I got to just wait patiently and let them do their thing, their way. We were in no hurry and they didn't need our opinion.

Cleaning and sanitizing things came after. Then the packing up and stowing away of it all.

If I would have said something to them it would have been ...someday you'll get to where you don't tote all that stuff and you just use the slinky and let her rip, rinse it out then go on down the road.

I wonder if they stopped off and showered somewhere. Probably changed clothes. Campsites can be so entertaining. I'm sure I've done some things that others would do different and I was probably someones entertained as well. It's all part of it.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2021, 09:09 PM   #2

Should have offered help when they had problems backing into site
Should have offered help when they tried to level with that stack of legos
Should have offered help at dump station....

Obviously NEW to Camping

Doesn't anyone offer help anymore and just sit and 'be entertained' by others mis-adventures
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:15 AM   #3

OB I agree with you in general but recently I have been getting snarled at when trying to help. It's almost like they don't want to lose face with their companion even though they already have.
I don't sit there and stare when it's really bad but it's like a train wreck. You just have to watch sometimes.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:36 AM   #4

Nope. Not getting into anyone's bidness. I've been to some places where there's always someone going after everyone that's pulling in telling them what to do. I aint gonna be that goober.

I also have an ex, (which ex is the best thing for her to be), that would not shut up about go help them and go show them. I aint doin it.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:14 AM   #5

I wont' just stand a stare, although there was one time it was so comical that I had to get a chair and be obvious about watching.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:29 AM   #6
Community Moderator

I probably would had walked over and introduced myself, then told them if they need any assistance, just ask.
If they don't want any help they will not ask. I have done this then later they walk over and ask what they did wrong, and explain they have never camped before, and the dealer never explained anything to them.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:35 AM   #7

I think most people would have appreciated being helped.

Then there are some that take it as an insult.

Kind of a roll of the dice which type you will be asking.

I would have offered.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:02 AM   #8

"You need help....not doing it right"

"Howdy, new RV...nice. I remember when we first started out, boy did I make some mistakes. Need any help just holler"

1st approach----------SNARL

2nd approach------Yes I could use some help

Simple...........
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:24 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's only gonna get worse, with all the newbies.
But then even after 20 years RVing we've had bad days. Water leaks, unlevel sites, power problems, Jack's not going up, and much more.
I might offer help, but make them do it, so they learn.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:24 AM   #10

These days, it's a tough call. How you approach the other person is a factor but from what I have seen, a lot of, maybe most, people won't admit that they need assistance and many will get upset that you offered.

On the dumping, just did this the other day. Person pulls into the dump station just ahead of me. I give it a minute only to watch them begin dragging out hoses and other assorted paraphernalia. I know what's coming so pull on past them and head for home. Yes, I'm impatient when it comes to things like this.

I did notice that the guy had a funny look on his face when I drove passed him.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:32 AM   #11

Long time ago, there were two chicks in a popup across from us. Stayed inside all weekend, I didn't ask any what for's. They got to the dump ahead of and and was struggling with a cassette out of the potty. I did offer to help and they were snooty and didn't want help. I don't remember what she said but it wasn't nice. She needed to rotate an elbow then remove a cap and pour down the hole or attach a hose. She ended up busting off the elbow and wearing the contents home.

I will not offer any dump help or advice. Everyone is on their own for that.

I did offer help with an older guy struggling to turn on his propane late at might not long ago. He was using a flashlight that kept dying so I walked one over and shined it for him.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:11 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
On the dumping, just did this the other day. Person pulls into the dump station just ahead of me. I give it a minute only to watch them begin dragging out hoses and other assorted paraphernalia. I know what's coming so pull on past them and head for home. Yes, I'm impatient when it comes to things like this.
We were in Wisconsin this past June at a campground. Riding my bike a seen a couple having trouble trying to dump their tanks at the dump station. After I turned around to help they just open the black tank valve dumping everything on the ground, before I could get back to them. They then did the same with the gray. Trying to explain why not to do it this way, they said a few choice words, waved at me with 1 finger then pulled out.
So I went to the office and when they were going out told the office staff, "there they go". The office staff answer was "we know them and they have done that in the past."
But they still allow them in, when is enough, enough?
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
We were in Wisconsin this past June at a campground. Riding my bike a seen a couple having trouble trying to dump their tanks at the dump station. After I turned around to help they just open the black tank valve dumping everything on the ground, before I could get back to them. They then did the same with the gray. Trying to explain why not to do it this way, they said a few choice words, waved at me with 1 finger then pulled out.
So I went to the office and when they were going out told the office staff, "there they go". The office staff answer was "we know them and they have done that in the past."
But they still allow them in, when is enough, enough?

What?! That just isn't right. I think I would cross that RV place off my list.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
"You need help....not doing it right"

"Howdy, new RV...nice. I remember when we first started out, boy did I make some mistakes. Need any help just holler"

1st approach----------SNARL

2nd approach------Yes I could use some help

Simple...........

This is right on. We were all new once with no experience and carrying a lot of uneasiness. Friendly help offered is the way to go. And, if someone says "no thanks" don't push it. Everyone has their way of doing things. I may think mine is better, but unless asked, I just keep it to myself.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amps, vent