Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2006, 11:42 AM   #1

Just a message that kind of struck me out of the hundreds of forwards that come my way:

How often have your kids dropped in to talk and sat in silence while you watched 'Jeopardy' on television?

I cannot count the times I called my sister and said, "How about going to lunch in half hour?" She would gas up and stammer, "I can't. I have clothes on the line. My hair is a mess. I wish I had known yesterday, I had a late breakfast, It looks like rain." And my personal favorite: "It's Monday." She died a few years ago. We never did have lunch together.

Because people cram so much into their lives, we tend to schedule our headaches.. We live on a sparse diet of promises that we make to ourselves when all the conditions are perfect!

We'll go back and visit the grandparents when we get Junior toilet-trained. We'll entertain when we replace the living-room carpet. We'll go on a second honeymoon when we get two more kids out of college.

Life has a way of accelerating as we get older. The days get shorter, and the list of promises to ourselves gets longer. One morning, we awaken, and all we have to show for our lives is a litany of "I'm going to," "I plan on it," and "Someday, when things have settled down a bit."

When anyone calls my 'seize the moment' friend, she is open to adventure and available for trips. She keeps an open mind on new ideas. Her enthusiasm for life is contagious. You talk with her for five minutes, and you're ready to trade your bad feet for a pair of Rollerblades and skip an elevator for a bungee cord.

My lips have not touched ice cream in 10 years. I love ice cream. It's just that I might as well apply it directly to my stomach with a spatula and eliminate the digestive process. The other day, I stopped the car and bought a triple-decker. If my car had hit an iceberg on the way home, I would have died happy.

Now...go on and have a nice day. Do something you WANT to do...not something on your SHOULD DO list. If you were going to die soon and had only one phone call you could make, who would you call and what would you say?... And why are you waiting?

Have you ever watched kids playing on a merry go round or listened to the rain lappingon the ground? Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight or gazed at the sun into the fading night? Do you run through each day on the fly? When you ask "How are you?" Do you hear the reply?

When the day is done, do you lie in your bed with the next hundred chores running through your head? Ever told your child, "We'll do it tomorrow." And in your haste, not see his sorrow? Ever lost touch? Let a good friendship die? Just call to say "Hi"?

When you worry and hurry through your day, it is like an unopened gift....Thrown away.... Life is not a race. Take it slower. Hear the music before the song is over. "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2006, 11:42 AM   #2

Just a message that kind of struck me out of the hundreds of forwards that come my way:

How often have your kids dropped in to talk and sat in silence while you watched 'Jeopardy' on television?

I cannot count the times I called my sister and said, "How about going to lunch in half hour?" She would gas up and stammer, "I can't. I have clothes on the line. My hair is a mess. I wish I had known yesterday, I had a late breakfast, It looks like rain." And my personal favorite: "It's Monday." She died a few years ago. We never did have lunch together.

Because people cram so much into their lives, we tend to schedule our headaches.. We live on a sparse diet of promises that we make to ourselves when all the conditions are perfect!

We'll go back and visit the grandparents when we get Junior toilet-trained. We'll entertain when we replace the living-room carpet. We'll go on a second honeymoon when we get two more kids out of college.

Life has a way of accelerating as we get older. The days get shorter, and the list of promises to ourselves gets longer. One morning, we awaken, and all we have to show for our lives is a litany of "I'm going to," "I plan on it," and "Someday, when things have settled down a bit."

When anyone calls my 'seize the moment' friend, she is open to adventure and available for trips. She keeps an open mind on new ideas. Her enthusiasm for life is contagious. You talk with her for five minutes, and you're ready to trade your bad feet for a pair of Rollerblades and skip an elevator for a bungee cord.

My lips have not touched ice cream in 10 years. I love ice cream. It's just that I might as well apply it directly to my stomach with a spatula and eliminate the digestive process. The other day, I stopped the car and bought a triple-decker. If my car had hit an iceberg on the way home, I would have died happy.

Now...go on and have a nice day. Do something you WANT to do...not something on your SHOULD DO list. If you were going to die soon and had only one phone call you could make, who would you call and what would you say?... And why are you waiting?

Have you ever watched kids playing on a merry go round or listened to the rain lappingon the ground? Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight or gazed at the sun into the fading night? Do you run through each day on the fly? When you ask "How are you?" Do you hear the reply?

When the day is done, do you lie in your bed with the next hundred chores running through your head? Ever told your child, "We'll do it tomorrow." And in your haste, not see his sorrow? Ever lost touch? Let a good friendship die? Just call to say "Hi"?

When you worry and hurry through your day, it is like an unopened gift....Thrown away.... Life is not a race. Take it slower. Hear the music before the song is over. "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Old 01-18-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just before I read this my wife an I called my mother who is 97 yr's young to bring her lunch tomorrow. Back in 04 I made a visit to the Newmar repair center,for Monday after Easter weekend, while we were there we visited her 99 yr old sister for the three days prior. That was the last time she saw her sister she passed away that following fall. Like you have said LIFE moves very fast as you are getting older, put time aside for the loved ones in your life. The rewards can be great. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:01 AM   #4

Very true 007, the time just seems to fly by weeks are now passing like hours used to when we were younger.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:34 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilnJune:
Life has a way of accelerating as we get older. The days get shorter, and the list of promises to ourselves gets longer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My late father and I were talking on his 80th birthday, and I remember him saying that the last 40 years certainly went by much faster than the first 40. Now that I'm 58, I see what he meant.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:51 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Life is surely too short for all the things we try to cram in. My wife and I talked about getting a motorhome when I was closer to retirement. I kept waiting, thinking I needed to save more money before getting a motorhome. Well, my 58 year old brother died suddenly. After the funeral, I told my wife 'we're going motorhome shopping.' We got one. I'm 55 and still need to work a few more years but we're going to use it as much as we can and see as much as we can.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #7

Good for you smlranger thats the right attitude to have , we have worked so hard during our lives once you hit 50 + the clock begins a downward spiral.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:34 AM   #8

The way I've heard it, time is like an RV. Once you get over the hill it just goes faster and faster.

Turned 70 Christmas day. Seems like I was 57 then jumped to 70. Art
Old 01-19-2006, 10:15 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

smlranger,that's good advice....Wife and I lost our Moms in 1999 and 2000,then both or fathers in the last few years,mine just this past September...Dad was 84 when he died.
Now with all our parents gone,I've started to realize that what my Dad said was true when he said...We're here for a short time and gone for a long time."

Wife and I ordered coach and decided we're going to see the things with our daughter we always wanted to see.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:28 AM   #10

Well Art I put on the Jake and am dragging a little slower down that hill.
Good for you rebel you wont have any regrets
Old 01-19-2006, 04:57 PM   #11

My Mom needed minor surgery a few years back, Gallblader thing, Doctor said in one or two and be back home and recover for a week or two then be ok.
Mom said she was scared to do it afraid she would not come out of it, I talked her into it so she would not be in pain all the time, so she did it.
In recover room she had a stroke, brain badly damaged, had to put her into rest home, she couldnt feed herself or anything after that.
She lasted two months got sick, tryed to pull feeding tube out only got it half way and drowned in her liq. Food. She was 62....and I hurt every time I think about talking her into that surgery. I miss her very much!

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:52 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My grandfather use to say "your here for a short time and gone for a long time".

The "what if's" will kill you if you let them-------

Do the best you can----------
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote