Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2020, 07:29 AM   #1

Time for a new pressure washer

So my ancient tecumseh vertical shaft pressure washer is about to go TU. I have the thought of building one but wanted to get some insight before I start buying parts. I already have a 5hp B&S horizontal shaft engine. Looks like i can get a pump and cage off Ebay for around $100. I plan to strip the old washer down an re-use the cart. Probably have to weld on a thicker/sturdier base plate. On the surface it appears to be a plug and play type deal. Bolt the motor down, hook up the pump and wash away but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. Current pressure washer is a 2500 psi with a 5hp engine and it has always served me well. So I figured I go with the same size pump as the new engine is a 5hp as well.

Thoughts?

This is the pump I'm thinking of. It is a 2800 psi but states it comes set at 2500
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201008-063134_eBay.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	303897  
rwhite1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2020, 06:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite1223 View Post
So my ancient tecumseh vertical shaft pressure washer is about to go TU. I have the thought of building one but wanted to get some insight before I start buying parts. I already have a 5hp B&S horizontal shaft engine. Looks like i can get a pump and cage off Ebay for around $100. I plan to strip the old washer down an re-use the cart. Probably have to weld on a thicker/sturdier base plate. On the surface it appears to be a plug and play type deal. Bolt the motor down, hook up the pump and wash away but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. Current pressure washer is a 2500 psi with a 5hp engine and it has always served me well. So I figured I go with the same size pump as the new engine is a 5hp as well.

Thoughts?

This is the pump I'm thinking of. It is a 2800 psi but states it comes set at 2500

Make sure the engine rpm's match the speed needed for the new pump.
Also, the engine will need a cast iron flywheel. The ones on a lawn mower, for example, use an aluminum flywheel, since they depended on the weight of the blades for the inertia to start.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
Make sure the engine rpm's match the speed needed for the new pump.
Also, the engine will need a cast iron flywheel. The ones on a lawn mower, for example, use an aluminum flywheel, since they depended on the weight of the blades for the inertia to start.
Guess I'll have to check that. The engine was on my wood splitter and hadn't had a lot of use. Last year I had a coupon for HF so I grabbed a 6hp predator engine and mounted it the wood splitter. So I have this one sitting around. For the record, the $100 HF motor is far and above better than the Briggs IMO. Smoother, easier to start, and never bogs down.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:45 AM   #4

Yeah, you should make sure that engine rpm's match the speed needed for the new pump.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:35 AM   #5

Well according to the pump manufacturer it is a max of 6hp and 3600 rpms. He checked my engine and confirmed it should be 2900-3200. Seems to work good. Got it all put together the other night and ran it about 1/2 hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201014_193854.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	305023   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201014_181607.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	305024