Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2017, 08:11 AM   #1

Tiny Homes - I don't get it ?

So... I was able to watch Tiny Homes-Big Life last night for the first time...

I don't get it...

Let me explain... I think they are very cool.. look to be built with character, charm and innovation.. but the episodes I watched didn't talk about the day to day "livability" of the tiny home...

Couple questions I have after watching almost 3 full episodes:
  • Where is the water, black & grey tanks?
  • How do they manage the black/grey tanks?
  • How do they source fresh water?
  • What are they using for power?
  • Travel-ability - how safe on the road are they (trailers)?
In the episodes I watched.. two were trailers and one was a bus conversion.. none of them discussed grey/black/fresh tank logistics.. none of them really discussed power (batteries/solar/generator/wind) in great detail.. I must mention, for one of the trailers, they "invented" a stationary bike that could produce power and the bus conversion had solar panels.. but didn't say what the capacity was, the battery bank used...

Presumably, the trailers are road worthy.. but how safe.. or for that matter, how often do they travel down the road.. Obviously the bus was road worthy and they even mentioned she sent it to a diesel mechanic to "go over" the bus to make sure it is road worthy and safe..

I will admit... on the two trailers.. I'm totally jealous of the "spots" where they were parked... absolutely gorgeous and remote.. very beautiful. However, the remoteness made me wonder how they would manage grey/back/fresh water and what they do for power.. I know it's a TV show.. and maybe they don't concern themselves with the minutia of those kinds of details.. but as an RV'er, I was very curious..

Anyway.. I know this doesn't matter to many.. and I'm just bored here at work on a Friday morning and thought I would ponder such complex questions... If you're more familiar with our fellow RV'ers lifestyles and challenges.. please chime in... Inquiring minds want to know !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2017, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've wondered about some of those things also. I've seen some with solar panels, some with rainwater "catch" systems, but mostly it's not mentioned.

MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #3

It seems that a lot of time and effort is spent, one show that I saw the couple worked hard at it for two years. The "house" was very heavy and limited in its functions. They could have purchased a nice travel trailer for less way less money and time invested, and enjoyed the time doing something else.
Dixie Mopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #4

From what we have seen these are less like "motor" homes and more like "mobile" homes.

Use standard household stuff so they connect to shore based utilities.

For us in non urban settings we do not get it at all but maybe those in high density urban life it makes sense. ..own a tiny box instead of renting one...
Old 02-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #5

They are not ment to be an RV, they are a small mobile home. Just like a mobile home they are designed to be connected to utilities.
If we're very young and single, or newly married, that might be a possibility. The only down side I see is lack of storage space. Resale would not be that great but then again, neither is an RV resale very good.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with the OP! Don't get it.

But I have come to the understanding that the people considering Tiny Homes see something like this in their mind's-eye:
Click image for larger version

Name:	landscape-1470755415-mt-hood-tiny-house-village-tumbleweed-0008.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	151532
Credit to: Mt. Hood Tiny House Village Tour - Oregon Tiny House Rentals
We are not affiliated.

Tiny Home buyers often do not consider tankage, water supply, or power. And the makers do not make it an issue, because these homes typically go on someone's yard and just sit...hooked to the normal homes utilities.
It's really more of a tiny "Granny-Flat".

And, tiny home buyers say they "would never live in a RV"...like there is some difference in day-to-day use

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I agree with the OP! Don't get it.

And, tiny home buyers say they "would never live in a RV"...like there is some difference in day-to-day use

Safe travels
Differences:
They don't have to mess with dumping/flushing waste tanks (don't have)
They don't have to fill fresh water tank (don't have)
They don't roll up water hose (hard piped)
They don't have to hookup an anaconda power cord (hard wired)
They don't have to worry about age of tires (ain't moving it)
They don't have to drain/flush water heater (small residential unit)
They don't have to 'sanitize'

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Differences:
They don't have to mess with dumping/flushing waste tanks (don't have)
They don't have to fill fresh water tank (don't have)
They don't roll up water hose (hard piped)
They don't have to hookup an anaconda power cord (hard wired)
They don't have to worry about age of tires (ain't moving it)
They don't have to drain/flush water heater (small residential unit)
They don't have to 'sanitize'

Errrr...Any RV can be hooked-up permanently to utilities, can have the tanks removed and can have the tires pulled-off too

But tiny homes are typically shown as being mobile. So, that's just like moving a "manufactured home". See the tires in the photo above?

Plus, if you don't flush a residential water heater, same thing happens as with a RV with sediment and such.

But, if anyone wants a Tiny Home, please feel free.
Just saying I don't get it
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:51 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
More of a 'transportable' home. Able to be moved from place to place on occasion. Often by a commercial service. Not self contained, they need sewer, water, electric, etc like a fixed home.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DW loves those 'tiny home' programs so I occasionally watch. I am more interested in the innovative ways they create storage and other cool things they do when they build them.

However, I always am amazed how some of these couples with 2 kids, a dog, a cat, etc. live in them day in, day out. I can see young folks doing it for a time but I always wonder how many of them are still living in these things one, two years later.

Oh, and since many of them use composting toilets, I'd love to be a fly on the wall the first time they have to dump the thing.

In comparing them to living in an RV, I would say the tiny homes should be easier to heat and cool since they usually seem to be built to residential standards....2 x 4 insulated walls, residential thermopane windows, etc.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #11

FWIW IMHO they are custom built over priced, overweight park models. Not something you would do miles with but maybe something you would get a good spot in a mobile home park with. That could let one have a smaller house than zoning might otherwise permit. It could also be a way for someone with a park to increase their income by building/renting/selling the tiny homes.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Over the last few years many cities have put up zoning not to allow tiny homes.

Personally I think it's just a fad, in a very small market. For $50-$60k you can get a fairly nice 5th wheel that is fully self-contained.

They all look very top heavy going down the road.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #13

I used to watch these shows, but not any more. I thought I'd pick up some novel storage tricks, but all I saw were 'solutions' that took up much more space than it provided in actual storage. Really, if you're going to travel at all, just buy an RV. I've never seen a tiny home that didn't weigh tons more than an RV of the same size. An RV is made to roll down the road; a tiny home is definitely not.

But, some of the requests of the new tiny home owners are quite funny. "I forgot to mention it, but I need to display my collection of 300 shot glasses." "While you're at it, can I get a table that seats 12?" "I need two crates for my dogs." Hilarious.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #14

I would like to know what vehicle they use to tow them and are they road worthy. Our park model has more room and storage then any of the tiny houses I seen on TV. The only plus I can see is that since they are more like a stick house they may be easier to heat in winter. But all that wood, insulation and roofing has to be heavy.
mrrving is offline   Reply With Quote