Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
I'm getting confused with all the differing comments. Is this what's called "alternate facts "?
The one comment I'm really concerned about is good scotch causing cancer. Now that's something to be concerned about.

Dave
Not to worry, I'm convinced it was one of those "alternate facts" put out by the gin and rum producers!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #16

The interesting issue is using cash and prepaid cards are both security tools recommended other places for controlling loss from theft as well as preventing tracking of personal business. Cash is hard to trace. Putting $500 or $1000 on a prepaid card let's one keep the good card in their wallet while using a card number that does not have much value and is easy to replace. Same idea with low limit cards if your bank will do it.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #17

Triple E Owners Club
Traveling With Cash,Credit,Debit Cards

Thanks. I feel better now Unplanned.

Dave
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #18

The last time the Aliens (From Space, not another country) abducted me, they said they would skip the probe for a prepaid card with $200 on it.

YMMV
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:00 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ok, I did go to Snopes.com and the NPR story. I don't watch videos mainly due to data limits. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

1. Some criminals are taking their cash from illegal activities and loading it on prepaid credit cards in order to avoid having to carry the cash to where they want it to go.

2. Customs officials started seeing a large number of these cards and realized this is high tech smuggling.

3. A hand held device to read these cards is now being carried by some law enforcement agencies.

4. With this device LE can freeze the cards at a traffic stop. Then thru due process the money can be seized if it is found to be "dirty money" in a court of law.

5. This device can ONLY read prepaid cards. It cannot access your checking account, investment portfolio or 401k account.

6. The target is illegal activity, but there is some potential for a mistake to be made, or for misuse by someone in possession of this device (also an illegal activity) which is why some groups oppose the whole idea.

7. And purely my opinion -- it is wise to be truthful and courteous when stopped by law enforcement. Buttheads, drunks and people who look like they are trying to hide something run a 500% greater chance of becoming a target of search and seizure.

I like to thank all LEOs, customs agents and ICE officers I encounter. They do a tough job often under very tough circumstances.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:25 PM   #20

We're what you'd call perpetual travelers--much of our travel overseas.

We travel with virtually no cash--using ATM's whenever we need cash for day to day spending.

We put anything possible on a Capital One Venture Visa credit card that pays back 2% on all purchases for future travel.

We see no reason anyone should use a prepaid credit card--unless their FICO score is dismally low. Sometimes individuals with a history of passing bad checks are denied checking accounts--and they'll have to use prepaid credit cards.

If you're traveling, chances are you're spending quite a bit on campgrounds, food and fuel. May as well get some reward out of the deal.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #21

The single biggest reason not to use your high limit card is because the numbers get stolen and things added to your purchases. It's an ongoing security issue recognized by all the authorities on security.

Getting a new credit card with a new number is a PITA at home and sometimes impossible when traveling. Have a friend who had her purse snatched in PR. Ended up mailing her new credit card and drivers license to her because the bank and state would only send new one's to her home address. That stuck her with no ID to board the plane in PR and not much cash most of the time she was there. She also lost her cell phone, another tale of woe over lost content in the hands of nefarious people.

The asset forfeiture game is an ongoing issue. The original intent was to seize drug money. Reality is that there are multiple cases of folks with large amounts of cash who were making a legitimate business deal having their money seized. They fit a profile and were stopped on a pretext. The cash was found and seized. In theory you can get it back, in practice you will need an attorney who will get a significant chunk for services rendered. Then it is still not a slam dunk. Google it.

If you want an example of a legitimate purchase there was a recent thread here about how to deal with a MH seller who wanted cash, no checks or money orders. Not hard to see how there would be enough money involved to trigger attention. The same problem exists with folks who buy and sell cars and boats on a small basis.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:01 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If I was dealing with a seller who only wanted cash they would have to meet me at my bank. No way I would go ANYWHERE with a large sum on me. Let them take all the risk if cash is all they will accept. The title can be notarized there as well.

Maybe I should be more trusting, but maybe some are too trusting. I don't like carrying more than $100. I also like the rewards my cash back card provides.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappystoy View Post
Nothing personal but maybe you should get more informed before you make fake accusations. You may be correct that as of date us RV travelers aren't one of the popular targets 'yet'. I don't post anything or comment till I'm sure about the subject matter.
First of all it is an exaggeration of how it's done and why it's done. The cash amount needs to be excessive and with no obvious reason, or valid way to have that kind of cash. We're not talking about a couple thousand dollars here. Then there needs to be a criminal connection to the money source. The part your missing is that anybody who has been stopped and had money seized pursuant to asset forfeiture laws, has most likely been under surveillance/investigation either after being involved in criminal activity, most likely narcotic sales or transportation, or has been followed after associating with them. If someone claims they were just driving down the road in their MH while on vacation and were stopped for no reason, and a dope dog alerted to narcotics(but they had none), and all their assets including the MH were seized, there is way more to the story.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I just shake my head in disbelief when I see these threads. If you do the smart thing, like most on here, you travel with a small amount of cash and a couple of credit cards.
The chance of having one of these machines freeze your assets is similar to the lightning strikes and lottery thing.
THEY DO NOT FREEZE YOUR ASSETS ON THE ROADSIDE. This is a perfect example of bad news.

Money problems on the road, and they are few, come from:
A. Carrying large amounts of cash
B. Using debit cards for all your purchases
C. Relying on prepaid credit cards that many places can't process.

I know the OP thought they were doing the right thing passing on some info they came across, but this is how wild unsubstantiated rumors fly on this site.

If something like this happened to me, I would of course, share the experience. However, using common sense and bring aware of your surroundings is your best defense about anything.

The biggest gamble you are taking with your well being is grilling meat, going out and eating restaurant food, and eating lots of sugar filled things. Some people actually still smoke also. Your diet and behavioral activities are a million times more likely to cause you more harm than the chance of getting pulled over by LE and having your assets confiscated.

Sorry for the rant, we are just drowning in "fake news" that causes anxiety and needless worry.
"...we are just drowning in "fake news" that causes anxiety and needless worry."

X 1,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
"...we are just drowning in "fake news" that causes anxiety and needless worry."

X 1,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly....This same type thread has been started various times on IRV2, and it gets people all worried for no reason at all.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:43 AM   #26

The issue is not fake news. It has been on national media several times as well as in the blogosphere. It takes more money than most folks usually carry but it is only worth hassling folks carrying large amounts of cash. Usually it's somebody doing a car deal like buying in Florida to bring to NY or PA. The recovery process is essentially proving to a court that the person with the cash had a legitimate reason to have it. That is guilty until proven innocent. If you do some poking it is easy to find sources:

Forbes Welcome

That one is about prosecuting people involved in doing it. That would not be an issue if it was not done.

Police Use New ERAD Device to Strip Funds From Drivers' Debit Cards | Fortune.com

That one gives you more insight as well as more interesting reasons why prepaid cards are becoming more popular.

I'll let anyone else do a bit of digging if they are interested.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Ok, I did go to Snopes.com and the NPR story. I don't watch videos mainly due to data limits. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

1. Some criminals are taking their cash from illegal activities and loading it on prepaid credit cards in order to avoid having to carry the cash to where they want it to go.

2. Customs officials started seeing a large number of these cards and realized this is high tech smuggling.

3. A hand held device to read these cards is now being carried by some law enforcement agencies.

4. With this device LE can freeze the cards at a traffic stop. Then thru due process the money can be seized if it is found to be "dirty money" in a court of law.

5. This device can ONLY read prepaid cards. It cannot access your checking account, investment portfolio or 401k account.

6. The target is illegal activity, but there is some potential for a mistake to be made, or for misuse by someone in possession of this device (also an illegal activity) which is why some groups oppose the whole idea.

7. And purely my opinion -- it is wise to be truthful and courteous when stopped by law enforcement. Buttheads, drunks and people who look like they are trying to hide something run a 500% greater chance of becoming a target of search and seizure.

I like to thank all LEOs, customs agents and ICE officers I encounter. They do a tough job often under very tough circumstances.

Thanks Barb!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #28

My intentions was not to condemn or attack LE . They do not make the rules or laws.
Their job is very stressful, they are not called to happy occasions. It is getting more dangerous for them everyday as crime has increased.
I ALWAYS thank them and help if I can. A few months ago we were at a place where many bad looks were given to a couple cops. by certain individuals I not only thanked them for their service but also did so very loudly. I fell terrible everytime one is killed, its horrible. . Still enforcing bad laws should be brought to the publics attention.
If your not arrested for a crime at the time of seizing your property then your assets should never be taken, period. No explaining this away. There are some LE officers who are against this law and do speak out but most don't want to be scorned by their peers.
Good people under bad leadership can do bad things, its human nature.
Pappystoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel