Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2021, 05:18 PM   #1

Trip of a life time.............

So my good friend thought it was not exciting enough to go across country in an RV or on a motorcycle, he announced a couple months ago that he was going from Seattle to New York on his bicycle. Sure enough his wife dropped him off in Seattle a few weeks ago and away he went all by himself !!

So far so good but he has wore out one tire, a pair of pants and been sick. Still going, not that he almost quit on one bad day. He just left Yellowstone National Park. He is on Facebook almost every evening with an update so we know he is still alive.

So if you are out there on the road and see a lone guy with a beard going east it could be Nick. Give him a wave and thumbs up. He said he has met a lot of nice people so far and really seen a lot. Going about 40-50 miles a day, with a day off once in a while, this is going to take a while.

Camping mostly but a motel couple times a week. Bucket list item he said.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2021, 05:24 PM   #2

Sounds like a nice trip. If I was younger I might try it myself.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:47 PM   #3
PKI

around the world adventure

Worked with a fellow who had the goal of riding a bike around the world. Every vacation and sabaticle, he would fly to where he left off on the last trip and continue on the section he planned for his current trip. Sounded crazy, but it was his thing. So, Seattle to New York sounds reasonable.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:03 PM   #4

I would like to do it on a motorcycle and my wife wants us to go in the RV when she retires. Will see how this ends but for sure no bike for me. I will post more if he has any new highlights!
Old 06-22-2021, 06:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
back in the early 90ís I failed to convince my wife to ride our tandem with across the country. it would have been a great trip!

in spite of not making that lap we did manage to put ~20,000 miles on our tandem Ö such fun.

kudos to your friend!
Radacravitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:13 AM   #6

I could never make a trip like that, but good for him for doing something he always wanted to do.
Maggie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:59 PM   #7

He just left Deadwood South Dakota and rolling along. I should have mentioned that he is 64 years old, not some young kid! Hope he can make it!
Old 06-25-2021, 06:33 PM   #8

He is on Instagram not Facebook, a senior moment I guess.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:32 PM   #9

Now in Nebraska and still going strong. https://www.instagram.com/nick.dounias/
Old 07-16-2021, 04:38 PM   #10

Traveling through Iowa now after a great visit in Nebraska. Well over half way.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:19 AM   #11

We live along the southern tier bicycle route which runs from California to Florida, and roughly (very roughly) parallels the route of I-10 (we are about 45 miles away from I-10). So throughout much of the year, particularly in the spring and fall we see these cross country bicycle riders going down the shoulder of the highway with their saddle bags, and sometimes even pulling a bicycle trailer. On occasion I will talk with one of them while they are stopped at a store, etc. they seem to be from all walks of life, some crossing the country in a single multi month long trip, others doing it one section at a time. Though what amazes me is the sheer volume of people that do this, On my nearly daily drive back and forth down a 15 mile section of the route gives me a roughly half hour snap shot of activity where it is not uncommon to see 5 to 10, sometimes more of these cross country bicyclist on any give nice spring or fall day, some in groups of 3-4 others solo making their way east or west along the highway. If one were to expand that snapshot out over the course of the day you are dealing with potentially several dozen of people a day on a prime day.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:40 AM   #12

So amazing! I hope we end up seeing him at some point. What a great way to meet others and enjoy our country! How adventurous! Love your updates! I donít have Instagram, just Facebook. It is still a bit of challenge actually. I am going to tell my kids to look for him on there.
Luv2CUSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:07 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ride Across America (RAA) in 1977 had its largest numbers of riders.

I do long distance riding. But my longest is 365 miles. I always wanted to do RAA. Now getting older I think I would do a credit card ride; motels and restrunts vs fully packed and camping.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarsegold View Post
I would like to do it on a motorcycle and my wife wants us to go in the RV when she retires. Will see how this ends but for sure no bike for me. I will post more if he has any new highlights!
Wife and I have done the motorcycle trips a few times and it is fun but we always hit some kind of ugly weather. We now stick to our coach and ride the bike up around where we live mostly. I give this fellow on his bicycle kudoos for his adventure.