Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2021, 06:59 AM   #1

Truck driver's 110 year sentence reduced to 10 years

https://www.insider.com/colorado-gov...-crash-2021-12

The Colorado governor just reduced the sentence of the truck driver involved in a crash that killed 4 people from 110 years in prison to 10 years.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2021, 07:10 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thread Reminder

This topic got out of hand in a prior thread. Please keep posts on topic, free of politics and away from the shade tree lawyer discussions.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2021, 08:39 AM   #3

Was this an accident?
Was the driver licensed?
Was he under the influence?
Did he operate in a manner that would be consider gross negligence.

Did the trucks brakes fail and was the driver in anyway responsible for their failure?

I have not been following this but I did see some of the relatives of those that were killed agreed that the 110 year sentence was unfair.

One news source reported that he passed a truck brake failure ramp. That report did not mention if he was able to get to it.

I'm not making judgements but exactly what did they convict him of?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2021, 09:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Was this an accident?
Was the driver licensed?

Did the trucks brakes fail and was the driver in anyway responsible for their failure?

I have not been following this but I did see some of the relatives of those that were killed agreed that the 110 year sentence was unfair.

One news source reported that he passed a truck brake failure ramp. That report did not mention if he was able to get to it.

Well, better late than never I guess.

Go to this link and begin your reading. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/life...es-564516.html
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2021, 09:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
https://www.insider.com/colorado-gov...-crash-2021-12

The Colorado governor just reduced the sentence of the truck driver involved in a crash that killed 4 people from 110 years in prison to 10 years.
Just read about the commutation this morning.

Date has been set for resentencing and the prosecutor is going to try to strike a balance between the 10 years and what he feels is more appropriate which is 20+ years. The governor's action does not prevent a resentencing, it only "speeds up" the serving of the original 110 year sentencing. It will be that original 110 year sentence, that is now commuted to 10 years, that will be addressed in the courtroom on the sentencing date.

This commutation now puts the prosecutor is a slightly different position. Prior to the governor's action, the prosecutor was to argue that the sentence was too extreme and should be reduced. Now, he must argue that the sentence is too lenient and should be increased. The judge is back in the position of having discretion on the length of a sentence, making his decision between a 10 year maximum and whatever the prosecution argues is more appropriate. This will be interesting to follow.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post

Date has been set for resentencing and the prosecutor is going to try to strike a balance between the 10 years and what he feels is more appropriate which is 20+ years. The governor's action does not prevent a resentencing, it only "speeds up" the serving of the original 110 year sentencing. It will be that original 110 year sentence, that is now commuted to 10 years, that will be addressed in the courtroom on the sentencing date.

This commutation now puts the prosecutor is a slightly different position. Prior to the governor's action, the prosecutor was to argue that the sentence was too extreme and should be reduced. Now, he must argue that the sentence is too lenient and should be increased. The judge is back in the position of having discretion on the length of a sentence, making his decision between a 10 year maximum and whatever the prosecution argues is more appropriate. This will be interesting to follow.
I believe that the defense will argue for time already served, which is about 2 years. I also note that the governor's letter said he would be eligible for parole at the end of 2026. I think the governor's order will stand.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2021, 09:59 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:

It is my understanding, that once a Governor commutes a sentence, then regardless of the Prosecutors past or current recommendations or even the Judge's recommendations, that the Governor's commutation is the higher authority. Same as with federal crimes with a Presidential commutation (or pardon).

Sad case all around. I hope that this case and this thread (and the previous thread that got closed down) will make us all consider more carefully whether going over the weight limits of a Tow Vehicle or with pulling a toad over the Motorhome's tow rating, or with towing a toad w/o brakes is a wise choice to make. My advice is to not exceed any limits of what we are RVing with and know how to use lower gears and if equipped engine brakes.
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2021, 09:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
I believe that the defense will argue for time already served, which is about 2 years. I also note that the governor's letter said he would be eligible for parole at the end of 2026. I think the governor's order will stand.
No doubt you are correct regarding the defense argument. However, as you point out, the governor's action not only reduces the sentence to 10 years, but allows parole in five years, for a minimum of 7 years which includes time served. I would think the prosecutor and many of the families will not be content with that short of a sentence.

Your opinion of the commutation standing is a valid opinion, but the sentencing hearing is where the formal arguments will be made and where the judge will make the determination. In my opinion, the judge, who presided over the trial and heard all the evidence of the driver's guilt, will not be satisfied that 7 years is appropriate.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:09 AM   #9
laj

This is the 3rd crime of the event.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2021, 10:43 AM   #10

Quote:
The defendant has not been formally sentenced as yet . . .
I think this part is incorrect. Sentence had been pronounced; he was up for a post-sentencing hearing to re-examine that sentence. Colorado law - the CO constitution - grants a general clemency power to the governor that overrides the power of the judiciary.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2021, 10:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
I think this part is incorrect. Sentence had been pronounced; he was up for a post-sentencing hearing to re-examine that sentence. Colorado law - the CO constitution - grants a general clemency power to the governor that overrides the power of the judiciary.
Yes, I agree with your assessment and have deleted my previous post.

Further reporting seems to indicate the prosecutors and families have been somewhat cut off at the knees by an action that happened before the re-examination was able to take place. That is the governor's prerogative, apparently, and the used it.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Was this an accident?
Was the driver licensed?

You're late to the party and kind of missed the topicality part of this thread, I think...

But, in order: Yes, No, Yes (convicted), Yes, Probably.

Truck ramp - did not appear he made a move to use it.

The convictions? 27, 4 of which were 2nd degree murder. Web search for hours of reading.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:26 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think the orginal sentence was a bite much. Should he serve time? YES! More than 5 years.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2021, 11:36 AM   #14

Time to use my favorite Thread Tool

Unfortunately, this thread has gone off the rails almost instantly. The uninformed opinions are exactly what the 2nd post warned against.

Worse, without using the “Ignore Thread” tool, I would be faced with this thread showing up front and center every day, possibly hitting the page count of the original story.

Tags
driver