Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Truck Lights

Tonight I had a scary experience, I was on a two -way highway ( going west) and there was a truck stopped on the side of the road (heading east) with his headlights on, nothing wrong with that except they were so bright I couldn't see, when I flashed on my hi-beams to let him know he flashed and they were WORSE!
He was also hauling a horse trailer, I was ok but it was the BRIGHT in those lights, they are the new ones out there and I have seen them around and dislike them intensely, but my first experience with them so close.

They were sort of weird too, there were 4 lights, above each other, never seen that set up before and it was really impossible to see ... what do you call those lights?
I need to know so I never get them on my vehicle, they are the worst ever...

I am sure if those with these lights had to have them oncoming they would get rid of them ASAP!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 06:11 AM   #2

Good chance he was over loaded on his hitch and raised the front end just enough to cause the headlignts to beam higher ?
Old 01-24-2014, 07:14 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
I have no ides, but they were those really bright lights they are putting in some cars these days, it was a pickup ... I want to know what they are called (LED?) so I don't ever get them as a replacement if I need to.
they are almost mesmerizing.

Maybe he was off line as you suggest, but these lights are annoying even on the highway, maybe I am the only one who notices them.

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
A lot of Jeep & 4wd truck owners supplement factory lighting, either for off-roading, fog, or just boy bling. Sounds like a possibility here, so there are many possibilities of what after-market product you may have seen. And... They may not have been installed with the correct forward angle, point too high for safe operation. I wouldn't avoid a certain light technology based on this experience.. Properly installed lights by reputable installers should not be blinding like that. Glad you weren't in an accident!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
'High Performance Halogen'.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the low beams did not go off when the high beams came on, then if it was a modern truck - the owner has modified the lighting system.

Next is the type bulbs. Owners are changing the DOT approved halogen bulbs for super white or blue halogen and HID (high intensity discharge) which may not be DOT approved...probably the same in Canada.

This is a common thing with the import "fast and furious" car crowd...but a truck owner could do it too.

HID is standard equipment in some luxury models, and these lights are hard on the eyes, but somebody approved it.

There is very little we can do about those that illegally modify thier lights. And there is no chance you will get these type of lights without seeking them.

They are very common here in SoCal. All you can do is shade your eyes. We NEVER flash anyone any more because of how commom road rage has become. It is just a reflection on our world.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #7

When HID's are used as part of a new car lighting system they are typically used with projector lenses. The projector lens is hard of the headlight assembly and focuses the HID light in a very specific (and generally safe) way.
People who retrofit HID's into normal headlamp enclosures are typically the ones you see with the giant slash of blinding light.

HID lights are fantastic when used with the correct enclosures
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Well I feel better knowing it is a light not regularly used by car manufacturers.

I have seen the 'blue' type on occasion and more often those extra white ones,

I shall jusr shut op and put up and hope I don't encounter them on the 2 ways anymore, on the 4 ways it isn't so bad as there is a huge center grass divide and you can avoid them fairly well. Close quarters make them virtually blinding.

Thanks for the info, I am done wondering and complaining now....
Old 01-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #9

As a side note I remember back in the 80"s when cars had sealed beam headlignts several of us found out that a 1,000,000 candle watt aircraft landing light would fit nicely into the bright light on a car. made for some awesome night driving in the country and NO ONE would give you the bright lights !
Old 01-24-2014, 11:12 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Did it also involve a gun and a field and deer????

Those would be REALLY bright!
Old 01-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
As a side note I remember back in the 80"s when cars had sealed beam headlignts several of us found out that a 1,000,000 candle watt aircraft landing light would fit nicely into the bright light on a car. made for some awesome night driving in the country and NO ONE would give you the bright lights !
Yep...I had a pair on my old Ford Capri. They gave new meaning to the term "high beam."
And, cops didn't give then a second look...'cuz they were just sealed beam lights
Just no prisms to divide the light

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:44 AM   #12

0. He was either overloaded or those shocks/springs may have too many miles on them.

1. There are Xenon kits. Xenon doesn't like quick flashes either or quick/on off. The problem with retrofit is the light cut-off pattern. Europe for example has a different light cut off pattern then USA/Canada theirs would appear "darker" above the beam cut off the benefits are supposed to be less glare/dazzle for oncoming traffic, the downside being reading street signs become harder for example. In addition these kits are available in many colour temps. People like "really white (cool)" and "blue" since they believe it makes their lights look more expensive (Sorry a Hyundai Pony with HIDS won't make me think you're driving an expensive car).

2. GM/Chev and new Ford Super Duties have the stacked high/low (like a new Allegro). They could have modified it so the lows don't go out.

3. Oversized Fogs/drivers. Most OEM car fogs are now for show since people drive with them all the time. (they light up but don't really help add too much visibility to the car). Driving lights should be used for those "country" roads without overhead mast or streetlamps. These lights would have a very narrow (lane widish) light that would project a much farther distance then your dipped/low beams. Real fogs should be selective yellow and very wide and low. This is because in fog light reflects off the fog and dazzles the driver. The theory is with these you won't dazzle yourself. It amazes me how many people drive with highs in fog. They do realize the reason they can't see is because they're shining their lights into their own face.

But your question has been answered already so late I am.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
That is a pet peeve of mine also. It makes you wonder if the auto manufacturers have to meet any standards like they used to. They also have many weird tailight and signal lights as well.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
When I am driving into mis-aimed or high beam lights, I close one eye and focus the other on the right margin of the road. As soon as I can, I open the closed eye, which hasn't been 'blinded' and get my night vision back more quickly.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights