Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #1

TurboTax WARNING

For years now, I've gone to a retailer and bought the Intuit Turbo Tax software on a disc and done my taxes without problems. This year they offered to provide their services thru a secure online website-no disc required- and they "hooked" me with the "try it for free-pay when you are done and ready to file" ad campaign.

My complaint is that the website pricing is NOT as they advertised. When I started my return online their price was $29.95 for the Deluxe version and I never opted for any of the upgrades they try to sell you while you're using the online service. But, when you finish and are ready to E-file (as I was tonight) the price jumps to $49.95 + tax. You pay their unexplained increased price or you can't file. Searching their FAQs only finds many, many comments and questions about this "bait and switch" tactic- but no solution to the issue.

Back in the beginning, they even advertised a "FREE" Federal E-file for simple returns, but that is now being charged at $29.95 according to the angry posts from users on the website "ask the expert" feature.

If I had bought the disk version as usual I would not have needed to input a lot of info manually because the software looks back at your previous year return stored on your computer and auto loads a lot of basic data. Using the online version you enter EVERYTHING.

Next year I will begin using something -or someone- other than Intuit TT. This deceptive business practice has cost them a loyal customer. And I have a long memory when I feel screwed. Consider yourself warned! Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
TaxCut... switched years ago when it consistently returned higher.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #3

Intuit has been pulling stunts like that for years and I think they are one of the most deceptive and customer-unfriendly organizations I've come across. Stay away from them.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I pay much much more for my laywer to handle my taxes. But in the end he returns 3 time his rate over what turbo tax.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #5

Have you considered contacting the State Attorney General's office or Consumer Affairs Division in the state where their business is located and file a complaint? If it happened to me that's the route I would take first.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Ed - TaxCut, the one I have used for years, charges for the program, and then they charge again for the e-file or a state return (and the state return e-file). This has irked me, because several times I bought the deluxe without the e-file or state program, and then they hammered me for the 'add-ons' after I had my return done. Unfortunately, a crazy business, but it works well for them.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
Ed - TaxCut, the one I have used for years, charges for the program, and then they charge again for the e-file or a state return (and the state return e-file). This has irked me, because several times I bought the deluxe without the e-file or state program, and then they hammered me for the 'add-ons' after I had my return done. Unfortunately, a crazy business, but it works well for them.
That's my guess on the OP's complaint too. It's probably free to use, but if you want to file then you have to pay.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That's my guess on the OP's complaint too. It's probably free to use, but if you want to file then you have to pay.
NO Mr_D. You would think so, but that is NOT the case. Their online service advertised as "Deluxe-with Federal E-file" and "try it for free" was priced at $29.95 but billed at $49.95 + tax (no choice, other than to decline to proceed & lose all your work).

I think they know that very few of us will re-enter our tax return data somewhere else, or file a complaint with a consumer protection agency, over the additional 20 bucks....but they have lost me forever!
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
As usual, I used H&R Block At Home (formerly TaxCut) this year - fixed price and 5 free e-files. I've used this program for years and have no complaints at all. It works as advertised, and it does what they say it will do regarding e-filing, etc.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Been a happy TurboTax user since the mid 80s. The automatically send an update program and do an online update when I go to do my taxes. Yes, I pay the extra for TT Delux, but it's worth it to me.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
........... (no choice, other than to decline to proceed & lose all your work).
Ed,
I'm surprised that you would "lose" everything. Most browsers allow you to "save as," and it would be saved as an HTML page. It may be necessary to type it into another program, but the data would be there. I know that they can program web pages to "not save," and "not print," but I don't know how Intuit does it. I am curious.

Also, the harder way is to capture or print screen. Not the nicest way to do it, but at least you would have the data to look at in the right fields.

It would be interesting to hear from others that have used the on-line version to see if they had the same situation.

I use the TT Basic. I'm just a poor person, and Texas does not have an income tax.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #12

The on-line TurboTax federal (only) with efile is very clearly $49 and STATE ADDITIONAL. Did the OP have a discount coupon code that was supposed to be used? With TT you get a free fed efile (instead of printing and mailing it in) and everyone charges a fee for each state efile you use.

If the OP had (or was supposed to use) a coupon code, well that's another story that's not TT's fault.

TT for the past 25 odd years I've used them always had a roughly $29-39 federal plus $20 per state pricing structure.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #13

I switched to TAXACT two years ago for the same reason. It is the cheapest one I have found.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I use the TT Basic. I'm just a poor person, and Texas does not have an income tax.
We do the same...Free version. The first time I used TT, I mistakenly clicked on the State Tax section when asked and they charged me the extra $19.95. Florida doesn't have state tax either, but after repeated calls I was promise a refund... that never happened. I guess the guys in India didn't know how to refund. I do like the e-file and direct deposit and I appreciate the free filing. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote