Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2022, 07:53 AM   #1

Smile Uh-Oh! Skin Cancer

I was just diagnosed with squamish cell carcinoma on a small area of my left temple. I'm due to having it surgically removed next Thursday (7 July). Several friends and famiy members have had a similar procedure performed, so I'm learning this condition is fairly common.

I'm hoping there has been no spread of the cancer. Upon doing a search of certain medical wesites, the general consensus is facial cancers of this type are not as prone to spreading compared to other types. That gives me some hope.

I'm curious if any of you folks have faced a sinilar situation, and what was the outcome, if you care to relate your experience? Mr Ed

mr. ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2022, 08:17 AM   #2

My dermatologist has labeled me a three time offender .

Three types of skin cancer .
The two squamous cell cancers I've had removed ( left cheek 6 years ago and left fore arm 4 ) have not returned , basal cell ( lower back 3 years ago no recurrence). Melanoma base of neck ( top of back 5 years ago , no return at that site ) currently waiting on surgery to remove a melanoma from scalp .
Too many years of too much fun in the sun, in an age where not having a tan was frowned on.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:31 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have had so many MOHS procedures, I should be receiving royalties. Very common, but can become very serious if not treated properly. I lost my dad to it a couple of years ago.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:49 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't like to hear anyone diagnosed with any type of cancer. Sister died of cancer-terrible. Anyway, good luck with the procedure. I get checked every 6 months and have a grunch of biopsies. Probably 50% pre cancer. Good luck and I wish you well.
2016 Can Am Spyder RT
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:10 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
One of the reasons We have been stuck in East TX for 8 months.. Melanoma of left side of face &back of head, left and right arms, and on right side of belly about where the shoulder/lap seat belts "click" into the base..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210805_183609761.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	369723  
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:07 PM   #6

I know a 95 (96?) year old man that has been dealing with such skin cancers for at least the last 35 years, it seems every year or so he has to get another one removed. I have known him nearly my entire life, he was friends with my parents, his middle daughter and my older step sister are good friends, etc. He is still active, still lives in the same house where he has lived for at least the last 55 years, has finally given up driving in the last couple of years, sad situation, his wife passed away during Covid (lung cancer, she died just a couple of weeks after it was diagnosed). Whenever I see him, he always talks about being sad because he has outlived all of his friends, and has no one of his generation left to talk with in town. He was always very active in the community, active in the local Rotary club, my nephew that is in the Rotary club and lives just a block down the street drives him to the rotary club meetings most weeks, when he is feeling up to getting out of the house. He blames way too much sun exposure when he was younger for all the skin cancers, he was born on a US Navy base in Panama, served in the Navy just after WW2, went on to work for the Army core of engineers, spent a few years working for the core of engineers in Saudi Arabia in the late 1970's, ...
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:07 AM   #7

a few melanomas have been removed. and many sessions of can of frozen gas and biopsies to send to the lab. learn to like the dermatologist and visit him every 6 months for a full body scan. his motto is 'if it even looks suspicious it's coming off'.

in all seriousness, regular checkups and take action as soon as there is any indication. much easier to treat something that is small and on the surface than something that is large and deep.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:23 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
In 2012 i had squamish on my nose where my glasses would sit. The doc cut 4 times until the lab gave an all clear. So I went in for a 8am and they would cut put me in a holding room test the edge of what they cut out, then do it again, again and again till the lab was happy. I think I was out of there at about noon.

I now go to the skin doctor every year and the doc checks me from the top of my scalp to my toes. All is goo.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:33 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mr. Ed. had that on my chest 2 yrs ago. Dr. Removed a bit more to make sure he got it all. as one cell can latch on to another section and re grow. went back and still ok. but.... 5 months ago got Bladder Cancer. Since been removed. Lucky it was attached to bladder wall and did not penetrate . go back in 2 weeks for re scan, I'm still not 100% sure it didn't start with 1st cancer.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:41 AM   #10

I have had two skin cancers removed. The basal cell on my chin and the squamous a very small spot on my lower lip but ultimately over an inch long vertical incision. For this, they did the MOHS procedure. This is where they remove the area, then take a sample outside the area and check in the lab to assure more cancerous cells are not left behind. This is done while the incision is open and you wait for the lab report after which they either remove more, and do the check again, or close the area.

I have a dermatologist exam once a year. Good luck with your procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. ed View Post
I was just diagnosed with squamish cell carcinoma on a small area of my left temple. I'm due to having it surgically removed next Thursday (7 July). Several friends and famiy members have had a similar procedure performed, so I'm learning this condition is fairly common.

I'm hoping there has been no spread of the cancer. Upon doing a search of certain medical wesites, the general consensus is facial cancers of this type are not as prone to spreading compared to other types. That gives me some hope.

I'm curious if any of you folks have faced a sinilar situation, and what was the outcome, if you care to relate your experience? Mr Ed
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:41 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Was just at the dermatologist last friday and all is good, they found nothing on my wife and I .She had a bout with some cancer on her nose about 10 years ago and she is clear now and hs been for some time now. My last trip prior to this was about 5 years ago. Thanks to the man up above at 77 I am clear still. Good luck to all have had problems with it.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:57 PM   #12

I appreciate all the responses, and first person accounts. This gives me a hopeful outlook. Thanks again,all of you.

Mr. Ed

Old 07-03-2022, 01:15 PM   #13

Yes, I spelled it wrong. Squamish should be squamous. I also understand carcinoma is a safer form of cancer than melanoma. I'm still in the learning stage.

Old 07-03-2022, 02:28 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just went through this. This is the second squamous cell cancer I've had removed. The first was on my hip which was odd because that area never got sun. This last one was at my hairline, or what used to be my hairline.
I used to be an avid boater and spent many hours out in the sun sailing. I always used #30 sunscreen, then #50, and now #100 whenever I will be out in the sun for a long time.
I had the Mohs surgery done. The cancer was about the size of a pencil eraser tip. The surgeon dug a hole out of my forehead and then gave me a choice. Did I want to come back to have stitches removed or did I want the self-dissolving kind. Well, naturally I picked the latter because who wants to go back if they don't have to?
Big mistake.
The thing split open because the stitches dissolved and I had to go back and get it redone, this time, a much larger incision. For 6 weeks I went around with a bandage covering my forehead that had to be changed twice a day. I now have a scar. Just call me Blofeld. (James Bond reference)
So if they offer you dissolving stitches, say "No thanks".
Next time Doc says something looks suspicious I'm telling her to just burn it off (freeze) and if it comes back then we'll talk. That's what they do in Australia, I hear.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote