Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #15

Ray, I'm proud to be a member of that 1%. Now if our politicians would just do 1% of what they fall all over thems selves to do for the other 1%. Funny, I don't remember getting any tax breaks for serving our country. Maybe I just missed something.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I don't think that is correct ... hard to say what percentage has ever served (dead or living) but about 7% of all living Americans have served. About .4% of Americans are on active duty.

The VA estimates about 22 million veterans are still living (2014 stat) ... more than half are over 60 years old.

Thanks for your service!
Yep, according to the 2010 Census, the number of living citizens that EVER served in any of the 5 Armed Forces/Guard/Reserve - was just under 7%.

That included all living veterans and current active duty...so as we lose those from WWII and Korea, that number shrinks everyday

That means more than 93% of living Americans have not served.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Cat 320 was safer while driving his Chinook to and landing at fire support bases (artillery) under fire, than he was in his home base camp. Same place DriVer was located.

Imagine soldiers wanting to be in the bushes and away from large base camps?
That was my second tour...first tour was on the ground. Initially I was the haulee, then I was the hauler.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #18

Rexhall Owners Group
I'm astonished at 7%...

Up on soapbox--No wonder this country is where it is--Down off soapbox.

Former Navy froggy, former Army combat medic, proud dad of active duty son.

I came across this a couple years ago, and it struck home:

A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made
payable to ‘The United States of America’ for an amount of ‘up to and
including their life.’

Everyone reading this got to tear up their check...
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
According to the VA there were 8,744,000 served in all branches between August 4, 1964 - January 27, 1973. Of those 3,403,000 served in all of SE Asia, 2,800,000 served in theater.
By most accounts approximately 10% were in combat positions. I have seen in other places that it was about the same as most major wars.
What most don't know is that many of those on THE WALL were not in combat. Serving in theater in any job was dangerous at that time, but no one knew when it would be.
We are all Veterans, no matter the job we had. We all did what were assigned to do and did it without hesitation.
I wish all my Brothers and Sisters a big Hand Salute for their Service, and a fond WELCOME HOME.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Thank you SonnyB for your service and for the post.Very will said.Semper FI brother. Good Luck and Safe Travels.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:05 PM   #21

As a fellow veteran, I too salute all who served.

For me, if you stepped up, and did the job, it does not matter much if you were radar o'reilly, or rambo. You stepped up, took the oath, and got my respect.

Surely, some had more on their plate than others. But all took the oath, all wrote that check, and all deserve the recognition.

I also believe that national service is a good idea for everyone. If you don't want to serve the country in combat arms, that is okay. There is plenty of national service that can be served in forests, hospitals and other federal locations.

Thanks to my brothers and sisters who served.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Ray, I'm proud to be a member of that 1%. Now if our politicians would just do 1% of what they fall all over thems selves to do for the other 1%. Funny, I don't remember getting any tax breaks for serving our country. Maybe I just missed something.
Actually there were a number of tax breaks that we got when we were in. If you served in a combat area your income wasn't taxed. If any of your pay came in the form of HOLA or COLA it was also not taxed.

My gripe was with those that called us names and spat on us when we came home. I still won't fly a certain airline based on the treatment I received by their employees some 45 years ago. Most of us were serving because we thought, no let me rephrase that, we KNEW it was what we should do. I'd do it again with no regrets.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #23

Jayco Owners Club
As a Vietnam vet and a military retiree, I can tell you there was no "safe" place the Vietnam. That idea was dispelled during 68 Tet event. Also, I had troops killed and wounded during training. Being in the military is dangerous just ask recruiters in TN!
boater1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:03 PM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Sonny! God bless our soldiers!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you to all who have sacrificed and served our country. My dad was a lifer, and I agree that we need to require service. I think it would teach respect, discipline and love of country.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #26

The real dangers in life are right here at home in our every day lives. Not just for soldiers, but for every American or non-American that we care for in our country.

It's statistically more dangerous to drive your car to the grocery store than serve in combat.

We all need heroes in our lives - it's inspiring, so its easy to focus on the obvious. Lets just not forget the other 99% who are more likely to give up their lives from every day hazards.

Most Americans and non-Americans do serve in some capacity... not just in the military. The military is not for everyone, but public and private service is almost a requirement of everyone. When you serve on a board in your local community, you are serving. When you are a parent on the PTA, you are serving. When you volunteer at your local youth center, you are serving and helping everyone become better citizens. When you lead a boy scout or girl scout pack, you are serving... just not in the military. When you visit your local VA hospital or VFW and help with an event you are serving. When you coach a college basketball team, you are serving. Service is almost inevitable, you just have to find what inspires you and do it. Remembering that most everyone, not just soldiers, take life jeopardizing risks and provide service everyday - that's what makes our country great.

I was privileged to have served 22 years, 3 years of which were in combat, but I never once forgot who I was serving for. The same people who do not wear uniforms but who serve us today in our everyday lives. It's not about me... It's about us.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #27

As has been stated here by others, there are many ways to serve:

U.S. Army
U.S. Navy
U.S. Air Force
U.S. Marines
U.S. Coast Guard
U.S. Merchant Marine (unfortunately a dying breed these days)
Dept of Public Health
Border Patrol
U.S. Parks Service
U.S. Postal Service

There are many others. Oh, a comment, service in the Armed Services would mean Active Duty, Retired, or HONORABLE Discharge from same.

Here's the world according to Scot: No mandatory service of any kind, HOWEVER, if you wish to exercise the PRIVILEGE of voting, (notice, I said the PRIVILEGE, not the RIGHT), then you are encouraged to serve in one of the organizations above (there are others, that would have to be codified in law) for a predetermined amount of time, at which time you would be entitled the PRIVILEGE to vote (with proper photo ID).

No one can vote who has been a recipient of the public dole for the 365 days leading up to the election, ie; welfare, unemployment, food stamps (EBT), etc. If it is important for you to vote, you know what you have to do.

I'm not sure why ANYONE thinks it is a good idea for people who are in no way contributing to the money in the pot be allowed to decide how that money is spent.

Hey, now off my soap box. Thanks to SonnyB and everyone else who has honorably served this country in any capacity. Take care,
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Hit the Rhod...you make some great points and I especially like the one regarding being on the public dole and losing the privilege to vote. I would add if you haven't paid taxes last year you lose the right to vote this year...kind of like keeping the fox out of the hen house.

However, I would not include the USPS in the catagory of "service." It is a typical gubmint bureaucracy...losing millions (or is it billions) of dollars every year, too many over paid employees, with too many benefits, plush retirement system, etc. They need to model themselves after Fed Ex or UPS. IMHO, the jury's still out on the Park Service.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote