Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #1

After receiving piles of junk mail these last two weeks, I finally called one of the funeral homes and asked where and how they got our full names and address. To my surprise! I found out the post office sells mailing lists. For anyone wanting to get off this list you need to write a request of not to sell you information to:

Mail Preference Service
Direct Marketing Assoc.
PO Box 643
Carmel, NY 10512
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #2

After receiving piles of junk mail these last two weeks, I finally called one of the funeral homes and asked where and how they got our full names and address. To my surprise! I found out the post office sells mailing lists. For anyone wanting to get off this list you need to write a request of not to sell you information to:

Mail Preference Service
Direct Marketing Assoc.
PO Box 643
Carmel, NY 10512
Old 04-21-2006, 12:12 PM   #3

Sorry if I put this under the wrong forum topic.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:29 PM   #4

That makes sense. It would increase their volume, hence their revenue would go up.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:55 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T&W:

Mail Preference Service
Direct Marketing Assoc.
PO Box 643
Carmel, NY 10512 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It might be true that you may be able to come off some mailing lists by a request through the address you provided, however, it IS NOT true that those lists are being sold by the U.S.Postal Service. They ARE NOT allowed to do so in any circumstances.

Zara - a USPS employee
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:23 AM   #6

Rich, Zara, friends and comrades,

After talking to the funeral home I called my local postmaster. He said, "I did hear something of the kind" and so he referred me to customer service at the district office in Harrisburg, Pa.( 717-257-2100 )

I spoke to a very kind lady who said "I just found out about this two weeks ago, and yes they do provide these lists to a marketing company".
YES IT IS TRUE!!! I completely understand your feelings of doubt. That was my first thought! They are not allowed! Customer service at the post office said they are, and do. Why would the post office tell me something that is not true? No government entity should be providing anyone with any information at all about me to any one without my express permission.

I reiterate; the post office gave me an address for getting off their mailing list. There is no phone number so you must write. The address is as follows.

Mail Preference Service
Direct Marketing Assoc.
PO Box 643
Carmel, NY 10512

Let's think about this. Heard 10 years ago the post office wanted to tax e-mail. Perhaps they are just trying to be inventive in increasing revenues. It doesn't bother me if they need to increase postage. I am not going to be passe about this issue and I am contacting my law makers.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:32 AM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Let's think about this. 10 years ago the post office wanted to tax e-mail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, that is just an Urban Legend. Please see Snopes.com
http://www.snopes.com/business/taxes/bill602p.asp

"The whole thing is bunk. There is no Congressman named Tony Schnell; no Bill 602P (Congressional bill designations begin with either H.R. or S., depending upon whether they're House or Senate bills); no law firm of Berger, Stepp and Gorman; no such address as 216 Concorde Street in Vienna, Virginia; and no editorial in The Washingtonian. This hoax actually began with a Canadian version that was later Americanized: "
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:13 PM   #8
AKO

Of course the USPS sells address lists.

Mailers who want the low "presort/bulk" rate must buy the latest update.

Presort, means the mailer sorts his mailing to the correct route; and the pieces for each route are sequenced to the order in with the carrier delivers that route. This means the mailer delivers their mailing to the PO and it requires no further sorting by either clerk or carrier. The tray of mail for each route goes directly to the carrier's case (or may even just be pulled off a rack by the carriers as they leave on their route). This saving of labor cost is what allows the low rate.

The information that enables a mailer to know the route and DPS (delivery point sequence), comes, of course, from the Postal Service.

Now that the lists are "computerized", it is possible/easy to cross reference with other commercially available databases to mine various information.

The Direct Marketing Association is a private organization to allow mailers to pare their mailing lists of "realy poor prospects". It is not associated with the USPS.
AKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:46 PM   #9

As AKO suggests, we sell address lists to keep from being bombarded by non existant addresses. We keep no records of names to go with those addresses.
PostMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:37 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">asked where and how they got our full names and address. To my surprise! I found out the post office sells mailing lists. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. The USPS does not sell your name/address. The address list? - Yes. The name? - NO.