Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2015, 09:41 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Viking River Cruise

Anyone been on European Viking Cruise? We are going on our first next week and I was just wondering anyone had any advice.
boater1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 10:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1217 View Post
Anyone been on European Viking Cruise? We are going on our first next week and I was just wondering anyone had any advice.
My uncle just had to cancel out of one due to health issues .
What he heard back from a friend was disappointing to say the least.
In August the river flow was so low that the big boats couldn't go to a lot of the stops and the people on the cruise said they spent most of their time on busses. Being transferred from one section of the river and boat to the next. Only dinner and sleeping on the boats. Hope that isn't the case for your trip.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #3

Just returned from 2 and a half weeks with Viking in France. A great trip. Stopped everywhere and toured all sorts of different cities and towns. Be aware that most tours involve a lot of walking so take good shoes. Streets are cobble stone in most places and I found that hard to walk on. Shoes would make a difference. Dinning was very good and they provide entertainment for added enjoyment. Take a good camera and know that conversion to euros can be done at AMTs and there is no bank charge for this. We had a great time, also rooms were very nice. Enjoy!
Forgot to add,be sure you carry a credit card with a chip, most places will not take a card without a chip. I used my ATM card to pull and convert dollars to euros. I had a chip credit card and had no trouble with it being excepted.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:48 PM   #4

I returned a week ago from an ocean cruise going from Copenhagen to Germany, Estonia, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm and back to Copenhagen--9 nights. Every stop was a incredible city

Our inside cabin cost $1,049 each. Compare that to the price of a boring Viking River Cruise, and you've spent well over twice that. And if you'd gone on one of the Tauck River Cruise you'd have spent $5K average each--terribly expensive. But they're very luxurious trips.

I've already been to the larger cities that the European river cruises go to--more than once.

Since we're sticking to ocean cruises, we can afford an April, 2016 cruise from Rome through the Grecian islands to Turkey and back to Venice--12 nights. If we were taking river cruises, we'd be having to stay in the U.S. doing weekend trips to see the Atlanta Braves.

Scandinavia and most of Europe is now a cashless society--using credit cards and ATM cards for all purchases. We had not one problem using our non-chip cards. Everywhere, they can have you sign for your purchases.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:19 PM   #5

Same trip as above in June- could not use my credit card because I did not know my pin number. I never use my card to withdraw money so card(s) were useless, however I did use my ATM card. The trains in Copenhagen would not accept cards without a pin or chip. Very nice trip, although much different than a river cruise. To each his own.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:59 PM   #6

I too forgot my PIN, but made a stab in the dark and I'd set it the same as my ATM card. Everywhere in Europe, you can sign for the card rather than use the PIN. You could have gone to the train station sales office and used your credit card with a signature.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #7

That was where I was and they would not accept my card, however I did have my ATM card and of course new my pin so I used that. I had cash for local trains as cards would not work. We took a day trip to Odense on the island of Fyn. The train terminal was huge inside. Seems all transportation goes thru there. Hotel exchanged dollars for kroners and local folks helped me with what was needed.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi John and Linda,

A friend went on one a year ago. The only tip I remember from them was that some rooms are advertised as having a balcony. This balcony is actually sliding glass doors that open to a rail about two inches past the glass - not what American's think of as a place you would walk out onto. Not a negative or anything, just a difference with the European terminology, I suppose.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:13 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Well, we leave tomorrow so I will post some first hand experiences. The rooms with a "French" balcony are what you are referring to. I have no idea how they got that name. Looks like small staterooms but lots of lounge area.
boater1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #10

Notify your credit card issuers that you may be using it when out of the country so I will not be denied. The 800 # is on the back of the card. They appreciate being notified. Also check to see if there are any money conversion charges on the card and select one that has either no fees or small fees.