Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2018, 07:14 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Local Bank branch's closing around our Country due to "Online Banking"........happened in our small town. Seems we can't stop technology........and big business.........Just look at where Walmart was 20-30 year's ago,,,,,,,,,they dreamed a goal........and have achieved there dream........there was no stopping them as sad as it is as to what happened to small local business's, and everyone flocked to their new Walmart......to save money.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2018, 07:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
The job of a business is to make money, not be a jobs program... LOL!

Yes, it takes employees sometimes for the business to make money, however providing jobs is not the primary function.

Of course, I always laugh at the mentality that jobs (especially union) belong to the employee and not the employer. An example being replacements during a strike.
X2! Your reply reminds me of the first day of class Business 101 University of Houston. Teacher says"The purpose of business is to provide jobs and goods and services to the community". The class, made up of mostly men in their 30s and 40s that were in business, got very quite. She then said "I know that is a load of crap but that is what the book says. She added the purpose of business is to make a profit for the owners and stock holders everything else is done to achieve that goal".
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie. View Post
I feel self scan registers are nothing but a way to eliminate employees. Companies are forcing us to use them by cutting down on staffed registers. I refuse to use them, it's a matter of principal for me.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
X2! Your reply reminds me of the first day of class Business 101 University of Houston. Teacher says"The purpose of business is to provide jobs and goods and services to the community". The class, made up of mostly men in their 30s and 40s that were in business, got very quite. She then said "I know that is a load of crap but that is what the book says. She added the purpose of business is to make a profit for the owners and stock holders everything else is done to achieve that goal".
That was the way it was for most business until around the 1980's. Then the switch flipped to your model. Now the customer is the stockholder and all of us who spend money on a product or service complain about the quality of what we bought. We solve the problem by going to Amazon to get the best price since we won't get service with the sale. Often we also bypass the domestic supply chain by buying from the manufacturer in the country of origin. Even better.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used to use the self checkouts but.... I find I like a HUMAN clerk. Now if Wal-Mart would pay me 15/hr to do my own check out.. I might go back to using the U-Scan.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #20

Quote:
I feel self scan registers are nothing but a way to eliminate employees. Companies are forcing us to use them by cutting down on staffed registers. I refuse to use them, it's a matter of principal for me.

OF COURSE IT IS... a way to cut back on employees. That is a huge cost savings for the company. Nothing wrong with that. Again, operating a business is not a jobs program.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:19 AM   #21

I personally like the self checkout lanes. WalMart is the closest store to our house. I used to drop in for things regularly so i know where everything is. I run in, get a couple things, go directly to the self checkout with a credit card, and I'm out in a couple minutes. It works for me and it works for them. I am now selective what I get there, but when I go it's quick and easy.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:48 AM   #22
dfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryshirley View Post
I'm tired of standing in long lines whole there are cash registers not being used. So what do most ppl do? Go to the self checkout... Scan n go, where there are no lines and check out. Wonder how many associates this scan and goes have replaced. Such a shame. I'm tired of being herded. I'm looking for other stores to do my shopping.😠😠

And then every employee in the store may eventually lose their job when they close
Old 04-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Please don’t use the self check lanes. That way I’ll get thru much faster. I like bagging my own stuff. It makes it easier to put groceries away at home and no squished bread.

Fifty years ago all businesses had much better service, but that was when employees were cheaper than the goods sold. Times have changed and workers are the highest cost line on every business profit and loss statement.

I managed a 7-11 convenience store in the 80s. I did an hour of paperwork everyday to help deter employee theft. That's a larger problem than shoplifting. So fewer employees, less theft.

I was in a laundromat yesterday. The attendant took her key, opened the coin box and fed $13.50 from it into 2 jumbo machines so that someone she knew didn’t have to pay.

Self scan theft is shoplifting. More people just walk out the door with merchandise than try to cheat at self scan. Regardless of the technology, thieves will find a way to steal.

Walmart is so often a topic on this forum. Look at all the free advertising they are getting.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I used to use the self checkouts but.... I find I like a HUMAN clerk. Now if Wal-Mart would pay me 15/hr to do my own check out.. I might go back to using the U-Scan.

Suppose you want to get paid to pump your own gas too

I prefer the self check out. Shorter or no lines.
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #25

Quote:

Bet you pump your own fuel.
Maybe refusing to use self serve gas stations is in your future?
Refusing to use email because it puts a postal employee out
GEEEZ

That's the direction businesses are going. You all need to get on board or be left behind.
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Softail View Post
Bet you pump your own fuel.
Maybe refusing to use self serve gas stations is in your future?
Refusing to use email because it puts a postal employee out
GEEEZ

That's the direction businesses are going. You all need to get on board or be left behind.
Don't forget McDonald's where you enter your order at a kiosk.

Automation is taking over the world. The only question is: if every thing is automated and there are few workers; who can afford to buy anything?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:16 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I needed four 2" 3/8 elevator bolts. Try finding those at Walmart. The local place I bought them at is now closing their doors. When you need the weird items to repair necessary items (out of OEM existence power stairs) lots of luck with Walmart. I do not shop Walmart unless I can't find it elsewhere and even then the likelihood of finding it in Wally World is slight. That said it is my go to place when on the road because of easy access and egress. YMMV
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Don't forget McDonald's where you enter your order at a kiosk.

Automation is taking over the world. The only question is: if every thing is automated and there are few workers; who can afford to buy anything?
Universal income. There is a book by Edward Bellamy titled Looking Backward that describes a future automated society where everyone receives an equal portion of the GDP. Those that choose to work do so for honor and enjoyment. Sounds far fetched but some countries are experimenting with universal income.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote