Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2018, 01:42 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Please don’t use the self check lanes. That way I’ll get thru much faster. I like bagging my own stuff. It makes it easier to put groceries away at home and no squished bread.

Fifty years ago all businesses had much better service, but that was when employees were cheaper than the goods sold. Times have changed and workers are the highest cost line on every business profit and loss statement.

I managed a 7-11 convenience store in the 80s. I did an hour of paperwork everyday to help deter employee theft. That's a larger problem than shoplifting. So fewer employees, less theft.

I was in a laundromat yesterday. The attendant took her key, opened the coin box and fed $13.50 from it into 2 jumbo machines so that someone she knew didn’t have to pay.

Self scan theft is shoplifting. More people just walk out the door with merchandise than try to cheat at self scan. Regardless of the technology, thieves will find a way to steal.

Walmart is so often a topic on this forum. Look at all the free advertising they are getting.
That laundromat wasn.t in New Mexico was it?? Thought I had the only key!!!!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2018, 05:58 AM   #44
tcg

I use the long lines to my advantage.

I learn all the latest Hollywood gossip, how to please my mate in the bedroom, and how to loose 30 pounds in a week while firming my tushy.

I've even been known to talk to my fellow shoppers in line, it can be quite enjoyable.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #45

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I use the self check out BUT have 'problems'...that way clerk comes over and helps

Short line & independent attention.
I love it.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:46 AM   #46

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
That laundromat wasn.t in New Mexico was it?? Thought I had the only key!!!!!!!
No, Arizona - your quarters are safe. I now see the advantage of laundromats using a card system instead of coins, but I avoid those places as I always end up with $ left on the card and there are no refunds. That only works out for the locals.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #47

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
Universal income. There is a book by Edward Bellamy titled Looking Backward that describes a future automated society where everyone receives an equal portion of the GDP. Those that choose to work do so for honor and enjoyment. Sounds far fetched but some countries are experimenting with universal income.
Yep, Venezuela is a good example.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSM180 View Post
That was tried 400 years ago in Jamestown, it didn't work out well to say the least.

As long as the government requires me to pay a minimum wage regardless of the employee's ability to perform the job I will find ways to cut my labor costs.

I hate standing in line, the problem at out local Walmart is the self check out lines are longer than the normal check outs. Sams Club has scan and go, it is almost a pleasure to shop there now.
I love the Sams scan and go, in and out, no waiting. Unless i'm buying alcohol, then I will buy the groceries and the DW will run thru the self checkout and take the alcohol out to the car.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSM180 View Post
That was tried 400 years ago in Jamestown, it didn't work out well to say the least.

As long as the government requires me to pay a minimum wage regardless of the employee's ability to perform the job I will find ways to cut my labor costs.

I hate standing in line, the problem at out local Walmart is the self check out lines are longer than the normal check outs. Sams Club has scan and go, it is almost a pleasure to shop there now.

Totally agree with everything you said.

To your last paragraph...
I would bet the average IQ of the Sams Club patron is a notch or two higher than the average IQ of the WalMart shopper. (No offense to my RV brethren that shops at WalMart... including myself.) That might explain some of the differences in checkout times between the two. I really have to bite my tongue sometimes when attempting to “zip through“ the self checkout at WalMart.

While my family buys a lot from WalMart, shopping there is definitely an “experience”. While all walks of life can be found there, the bottom-feeders of society are always on display.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
Universal income is not the same as Communism. Under Communism the state owns all land and industry. Universal income can exist under capitalism. Under universal income, some times called basic income, industry is owned by individuals and stock holders as it is now.
And who pays the Universal Income? Communism is not about OWNING, it's about CONTROLLING. In MY business, I determine who gets what. Why should someone without any drive or talent get the same as someone with drive and talent. I give you the NFL; drive and talent on display. They get paid what they do because they are worth every penny; the guys paying them make even more, and we pay them. As soon as someone comes along that can do better, it's cul8r old dude. No equal opportunity there, just pure drive+talent=money.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharlan2001 View Post
I'm no saint but I never used the self check lines. I want that cashier to have a job. I'm retired. I've got time. If my only purchase is a box of toothpicks, I'll put them in a shopping kart and roll them out. I want the associate that gathers the karts to have a job. I purposely don't park close to the front door. I can use the exercise. Enough halo burnishing. Y'all have a good day.
same ,,,, detest McD's electronic orders system ... WILL NOT USE IT.

I am not a union hack.

Although I did benefit from 1983-2017 (great pension). Where do you think the benefits that most / some have came from .... 8 hr days, weekends off, paid stat holidays, annual vacation, pensions ..... YUP ... thank a union.
CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
I'll be a contrarian to the discussion. I frequently use self-checkout at Walmart, Target, Kroger, HEB (a local Texas grocery store), Home Depot, etc. when I'm in need of just a few items. In the Houston area a large amount of time is spent driving to work, to church, to stores, to anywhere. The last thing I need or want is to waiting another 15-20 minutes in a "staffed" check-out line behind several folks with full size shopping carts filled to the brim.

I do respect the intent of self-checkout lanes which are for purchasing a few items. When I have a shopping cart half-full of stuff I use a "staffed" check-out lane so I don't clog the self-checkout lanes.

Finally, I use "staffed" check-out lane as in today's world I don't want to use a politically incorrect name for the position/person behind the cash register and get in trouble with the forum. Is there a PC correct name for that position?
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF-104 View Post
same ,,,, detest McD's electronic orders system ... WILL NOT USE IT.

I am not a union hack.

Although I did benefit from 1983-2017 (great pension). Where do you think the benefits that most / some have came from .... 8 hr days, weekends off, paid stat holidays, annual vacation, pensions ..... YUP ... thank a union.
Really? I got all those and didn't need or have a union. I simply studied hard, worked smart, and attained a skill that someone would pay for. And, in time, my skill got taken out by technology, and I found another skill that someone would pay for.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #54

Walmart is one of the best happenings for people! Quality food and goods for a fair and reasonable price. Very helpful associates. The same clean, bright stores all across the US.
When we RV, shopping at a Walmart is a treat.
I believe I am right since Walmart is such a success.
Regards,
JimB
PS love the self check out in Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot.
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Really? I got all those and didn't need or have a union. I simply studied hard, worked smart, and attained a skill that someone would pay for. And, in time, my skill got taken out by technology, and I found another skill that someone would pay for.
You got that because the company you worked for had to competitive.

If you look at today's workforce benefits they don't have those things. They have been on the decline since the 70's

Start your education here.

For most workers, real wages have barely budged for decades | Pew Research Center
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #56

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know where these WMs are that you don't find lines at the self check, but I've never seen it. If I see a manned check stand with 4 people waiting and a self check with 3, I will go to the manned one. 1 checker can run 4 through faster than 3 MW level customers can self check.

Glenn