Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I choose not to participate in unfounded criticism.

Funny story about the star between Wal and Mart. Years ago I was leasing space in my building to a guy who was trying to sell an advertising item to WM. I was helping design copy to be printed on the item, I used to work in a newspaper print shop, but the limited software I had on my computer did not have a dash to put between the Wal and Mart which was normal for the WM logo, so I put a star in its place. The guy printed samples and presented them to WM but wasn't successful in his endeavor Several months later the star started appearing on all Wal Mart signage and logos. Could of been a coincidence but who knows!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #58

Ford Super Duty Owner
but wall mart only wants them to make $$ we are from costa rica and now have
wall-marts
most of what we use daily 90% come from farms and factorys hear many over 100
years old
most all inported goods sell for double if it $ 1 in US its $ 2 or more hear
now wall mart is shipping in its own brands and selling it for 60 - 80 % less
then in there us stores why they are trying to put local factorys out of bussiness
last week there brand of pine sol 20 cents a litter 5 gals of fabric sofner $ 2. 50
if they keep this up it will put thousands of people out of work hear
Old 03-18-2018, 08:10 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
3 years ago Wal Mart opened "community stores" in small towns with less than 1000 population. Those communities and the surrounding areas were being served by small independent, family run grocery stores. There wasn't enough business for two stores and profit margins on groceries are pitiful. Wal Mart knew this. But they opened anyway. Shut down the competition. Then closed them all about a year ago. Offered the employees positions at stores that were 20+ miles away, even though they had stores with closer proximity, "no positions were available" there. Now those communities have no where to go except to drive 15-20 miles or more to get groceries and other sundries. Sometimes there are other better reasons to shop somewhere than just prices.
sho4go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:14 AM   #60
laj

ya but you don't get the repulsive entertainment at the mom and pop stores. I think those have pretty well gone by the wayside, not what mainstream is looking for anymore.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
... why do we always have a bent toward giving a small town mom and pop type store a hand up over any other type of store, large or small? ...

This is slightly off the subject, but ...

My reason for preferring “mom & pop” stores, at least when referring to restaurants, is because of the level of service you get.

A “mom & pop” food joint has to rely on always providing your meal to you, fresh, tasty & in a timely manner, or else word will spread, & they won’t keep many customers.

Franchise restaurants, IMHO, just work hard to push their product down the line, making their profits via selling more volume.

I wish that their were more M&P places around. But, I’m afraid that they are a dying breed.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:06 PM   #62

While you give more money to Walmart for convenience, they’ll keep getting all of their products over seas putting more Americans out of jobs and putting the money you give them into commercial time to tell you what to think [emoji848]
Slo Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #63

Damon Owners Club
How’d a post like this get on a RV forum?
timwoodburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:38 AM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timwoodburn View Post
How’d a post like this get on a RV forum?
Many of us RV'ers are semi tethered to WM. Boondock for free. They carry RV supplies - a godsend when "Mr Stinky" springs a leak at 0-dark-stupid in Lilian, Alabama. Passable produce especially for what our RV fridge can hold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I choose not to participate in unfounded criticism.

Sent from my LG-H820 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old Top Kick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #65

Do all you Walmart haters still park in their lots when traveling? If so I find that a bit hypocritical.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:30 AM   #66

Walmart has always tried to provide every day products at the lowest price possible. As a result those that can’t provide the same products at a competitive price will ultimately close, or change their business to better compete. Why do millions of people shop Walmart everyday? Because on average they provide every day products at the lowest price possible. Walmart has done more to raise the standard of living for the low wage earners than just about every government program.

If you think Walmart has wreaked havoc on the small business sector, just watch. Amazon is doing the same thing to the Walmarts, Target by providing products at a competitive price and delivering it to your door. Just watch as the robots, AI, autonomous vehicles rip a new one to the American worker.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by easywind View Post
It seems half the posts that recommend a product the poster says wallmart, wallmart is the reason main street America is gone and I find no bargains there. They usually are more expensive than other places. They come to a place with low prices, drive out the other stores and raise their prices higher than they were originally. I personally won't buy anything there unless absolutely necessary and I hate that these pages support them.
Wow I see some have too much time on their hands. This forum is not the place to debate the merits of shopping at a retailer.
kjsportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
If they drove out small business, the small business wasn’t competitive. That is how capitalism works.

It is not consumers’ job to artificially prop-up small businesses. If the small businesses provided a good or service that was competitive the consumers would have continued to shop there.

Never have understood the hate for WalMart.
Having owned a small business, I can assure you they can't compete with massive chain stores like Walmart because they can't buy large enough orders from their suppliers to get the same wholesale price discounts. Even joining small businesses together in a group to order together doesn't come close to one Walmart supplier order. The main thing the small business has over Walmart is that they know their product and can answer customer questions far better than employee of those giant chain stores.
BobnShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnShelley View Post
Having owned a small business, I can assure you they can't compete with massive chain stores like Walmart because they can't buy large enough orders from their suppliers to get the same wholesale price discounts. Even joining small businesses together in a group to order together doesn't come close to one Walmart supplier order. The main thing the small business has over Walmart is that they know their product and can answer customer questions far better than employee of those giant chain stores.

I think time has proven that all of these “benefits” that the mom & pop supposedly provide hold little to no value to the average person. Shoppers are savvy and know what they want. They have proven they will not pay more given the option. In my experiences, the mom & pop really aren’t any more knowledgeable anyway and tend to have old stock. Aside from specialty stores, I prefer the big box (and Amazon) due to choice, price and know the product was manufactured a short time ago due to high sales.

One more thing. I find it amusing when people say the mom & pop going out of business means lost jobs... but fail to mention the number of people the big box stores hire.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #70

Why all this hate for Walmart. They have provided thousands, if not millions of good jobs in places like Indonesia, China, Taiwan etc. And have given the Walmart heirs a comfortable living so they don't have to work in the stores themselves.

Just check out the clothing, compare a pair of Wrangler jeans with those you can buy from some lazy, no good home town clothing store. With Walmart Wranglers you don't have to wear them for years before you can buy new ones. Those heavy cloth jeans from your local store never seem to need replacing. You just can't get the joy of shopping when your stuff never wears out.

Those Walmart jobs are so in demand all those lazy overpaid American workers who have lost their jobs in American retail and manufacturing clamor for them. Why not work 20-30 hours a week. You can make up for it with public assistance.
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote