Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Many and possibly most stations who have just gone through the expense of changing their tanks are not going to put in extra tanks for E15 and E85 so
they will be blending at the pump meaning that you can get a gallon or so of E85 or E15 even if you select the other choices.

Say what????

Unless clearly labeled to that effect, that would be totally illegal- at least in this State. Pumps have to dispense the product that they're labeled for.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
American Coalition for Ethanol : Home

Not sure how much is left in the hose from the previous user so the first amount of fuel could be anything. If you only buy a gallon or two it could be a problem.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
You won't have to buy it...do learn to differentiate at the pump.

Hope everybody knows how to read the labels there...
I am told but have not been able to verify (Actually have not tried to verify) so this is rumor.

That they are no longer REQUIRED to label contaminated pumps. Yes, I consider alcohol over 2 percent to be a contaminate.

And 2 percent is acceptable only in the winter.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I am told but have not been able to verify (Actually have not tried to verify) so this is rumor.

That they are no longer REQUIRED to label contaminated pumps. Yes, I consider alcohol over 2 percent to be a contaminate.

And 2 percent is acceptable only in the winter.
I don't know who told you that, but they sure don't live in Washington State, where as I said before, such a practice is illegal according to Washington State Law.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #33

OK, let me start of by giving full discloser. I work on the farm. It’s what I get paid to do. Ethanol has been good to farmers. My boss has been able to buy newer and nicer equipment due to increased corn prices relating to Ethanol. That nicer equipment allows us to work fewer hours meaning I get to go camping more often. But, it is also true that the farm equipment he and other farmers can now buy is built in this country so Ethanol has been good for the economy of the nation as a whole. Believe it!
Now that being said, I don’t believe that your vehicle is going to suddenly explode like a small thermonuclear weapon because you get a drop of Ethanol in the tank. In fact you could most likely even run a whole tank of E-15 without any damage. The reason I believe this is because I’ve heard this story all before. When we first started to go to E-10 people were saying at that time that this was going to be a big disaster and all the cars were going to go to heck. It didn’t happen. There were a few problems because Ethanol is a cleaning agent and older gas stations with dirty tanks got some of the sludge in their tanks stirred up when the switch to Ethanol fist went into effect. This problem was more prevalent in some parts of the country then in other due to different states having different regulation on how clean the fuel in those old tanks were in the first place. This was over a decade ago and those problems’ should be in the past.
And, I can tell you this we run E-10 in our 1976 F-150, my 1976 Pontiac Lemans, my 1981 Ford T-Bird, and my 1984 Lincoln Mark VII without any problems what so ever. I also run it in my 1973 Silverline Comoro boat that is powered by a 4 cylinder Chevy engine. In the past I did also run it in my 78 Mercury Zephyr and my 1986 F-250 without any problems either. Now both of those vehicles are in the junkyard. Ethanol didn’t kill them they just wore out. But, if I was a big conspiracy theorist I would be running around blaming those vehicles demise on Ethanol but, that would be a false assumption.

There is a lot of misinformation going around and it’s hard to tell who to believe. But, I know from experience that I run E-10 in everything we have without issue. I don’t know what is going to happen with E-15 But, I don’t think it going to cause the end of civilization as we know it. And, every gallon of gas sold in MN is required by law to be an E-10 blend. There are a handful of stations selling non blended gasoline but, it’s for older collector vehicles and you breaking a law if you try to run it in your newer vehicle.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #34

Caveman CBB,

We subsidize ethanol with our taxes (to be read "debt"), we get less MPG with it so our cash flow decreases.
I think that says enough.
Just sayin....
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
It'd be hard to imagine any industry more taxpayer-subsidized than our supposedly "private" oil industry, so that argument's sort of a non-starter as far as I'm concerned...huge tax breaks and free infrastructure support are a cost to the taxpayer too, you know. And don't even get me started about the reasons for some of our entirely taxpayer-funded military adventures...

Just because we don't cut 'em a direct check doesn't mean they're not on the taxpayer's back.

And now, per engines unable to survive on gasohol blends:

Anyone here old enough to remember that during WWII when gas was virtually impossible to get by civilians in Europe, there were a lot of vehicles running around on alcohol only?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #36
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Anyone here old enough to remember that during WWII when gas was virtually impossible to get by civilians in Europe, there were a lot of vehicles running around on alcohol only?
No :-)

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #37

Francesca,

All the more reason to cut all subsidies and let the market drive pricing.
(As if that would ever happen!!!)

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #38

I believe in eating the foods the farmers produce and not using it in my gas tank.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, you'd starve to death petty quick in some areas unless you're willing to pay farmers the same price they get for fuel-corn!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
I believe in eating the foods the farmers produce and not using it in my gas tank.
Very few farmers grow eatable food.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #41
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Edible
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Edible
Oops