Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2008, 07:42 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Michael,

i feel that in contrast to your belief that there is a
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">current campaign of hate against Mexicans in the US </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
that there actually is an overall increased level of mutual trust and appreciation between our two countries.

However, the US Consulate and people who actually live here on either side of this particular border area know that a different problem is arising.
It is NOT an overwelming problem, not every tourist is accosted by any means,
and I love Baja and Mexico very much and have spent a huge amount of time there,

but if you are going to earmark yourself as a tourist by driving a fancy 5th wheel down there you should do it armed with a knowledge of the current problems.

If it was me I'd contact the US Consulate and ask them for their frank feelings. I'd guess they are anxious to have increased tourism yet at the same time will express some strong concerns.

I love the Country down there very much and I feel this following article is not intended to be inflamatory, :
http://www.immigrationwatchdog.com/?p=5733
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Hey, folks,

Just a reminder that political posts are not permitted on iRV2.com, even in the Just Conversation forum. This thread is drifting quite close to becoming political in nature....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">By participating in the Forums and Private Messages, you agree that you will not upload, post or otherwise transmit any content (including test, links, communications, software, images, sounds, data or other information) that:

1. Is not consistent with the permissible uses outlined by the Terms of Service (TOS) including, but not limited to, content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abrasive, harassing, hostile, defamatory, inciting brand wars, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, vulgar, profane, sexually explicit, obscene, racially or ethnically offensive, religious, political, illegal substances, illegal activities or otherwise objectionable. NOTE: disagreements and intellectual disputes are not viewed as hostile content as long as the arguments address the Members statements and not their personalities; </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #17

The statements provided re this topic are good info in my opinion and are related to Rving in Mexico. People need real information, not the stuff from the team player type organizations where everything has to be politically correct.

If the politico policing slant is taken much further the good information provided by members will dry up.

If you ban me from IRV2 for this I will understand.
Aaron
Old 02-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
I agree that information regarding RVers traveling in Mexico as contained in the thread is useful. That's why I politely suggested that it not turn into a political debate over the immigration and border security policies of the United States. My post was (and is) actually intended to keep the thread open and on track, not to close it down. Please don't read more into it than was intended.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:39 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vegascpl:
... We've been going to Mexico for 20+ years usually for a least a month a year...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Vegascpl. We've been exploring the US since going full-time...this year will probably head north into Canada, Alaska. Since you folks go each year into Mexico, have you sensed a difference over time? We've maintained friends from our corporate days (both blue and white collar titles); and get mixed messages about driving much past the border towns of Tijuana and Tecate. We're respectful, low-key travelers...leave only tire-tracks. Just can't run as fast as we used too...ha!

2007 Fleetwood Southwind 32V w/Ford V10
Bludog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:54 PM   #20

Bludog, we were just in Tecate last week and we were there about a month before that. We have a dentist that we have been going to for years there. We drove through Tijuana. It's pretty much the mess it's always been.

I really don't see a lot of difference. Tecate still seems like a normal reasonably quiet Mexican town to me. I think the major problems are near the border in cities like Tijuana.

The first of March we'll be going to Puerto Penasco, Rocky Point for three weeks. I'm in touch with people there through internet boards. I'm not seeing anything that would be cause for concern.

It seems like every year we hear all the horror stories about Mexico. It was either last year or the year before that there were all these warnings from the State Department. One story was about a considerable number of people being kidnapped in Rocky Point. When we got to Rocky Point it was the same sleepy little town. No one had any idea what it was all about.

We enjoy Mexico and have never had a problem of any kind there with the law or anyone else. I think one of the reasons people get into trouble in Mexico because they do things they would not do here in the US. For example, I was talking to a guy last year around a beach fire. He was upset because someone told him he could not drink a beer on the streets. He literally told me "He was an American and he could do any dam thing he wanted to do!" That attitude will get you personal tour of the jail and it won't be pretty!

It think that sometimes we offer bribes to police when we violate traffic laws so that we can take the easy way out. In 20 years I've been stopped once. I thought I was right. It was actually a gray area. I'm not fluent in Spanish but I was able to at least make my point. In the end he returned my drivers license and I didn't pay him a dime.

Over the years that we've been going to Mexico I things have gotten much better. They have really clamped down on crooked police. They really need and want our tourist dollars, and I think they are making a big effort to make it safe for Americans.

Now the drug traffic is another story but unless you are buying drugs you should not have a problem unless you are just incredibly unlucky. I think our drug laws cause more problems than they solve. You could say we have created this problem, but that's just my personal opinion.

There are some things you should not do. Don't drive at night. Don't boon dock by yourself. Do make sure you have Mexican liability insurance. Do treat people with the same respect they do you. If you do that I doubt seriously you'll have a problem.

Frankly I kind of like the fact that a lot of Americans are afread to travel south of the border. If everyone came down we wouldn't be getting beach front RV spaces for $25 a night! Can you just imagine if everyone went to Mexico instead of Quartzsite?

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slides
2005 BMW K1200LT motorcycle on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Vegascpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:32 AM   #21

As I'm writing this I'm looking out my front windows at the beach in Rocky Point, Mexico. The park is packed full of Americans and Canadians. Everything is pretty much the same as it was last year. No one is talking about any kind of problem here. We leave all or our patio chairs and barbeques out. I asked a few people no one has any problem with theft.

The bad news came when I tried to make reservations for another beach front spot next year in March. They are booked up sometimes 2 years in advance here for beach front RV spots. That means some of you who are promising not to cross the border are doing so! I guess we need more scary stories!

However, I'm glad that I don't live near the border in the US these days. We drove I-8 from San Diego to Yuma then to Ajo before going into Mexico. When we have been near the border before, it seemed like every third car was Border Patrol. That seems to have changed. They have more check points. Some of these check point take 5 minutes to get through some take 20 minutes. Most of these check points have at least a half dozen guys sitting around watching. At one check point in AZ on the interstate we were asked for passports. We were on Interstate 8 and had not been out of the US. I didn't understand why I need to show a passport in my own country? We were asked where we had come from and where we were going to. I don't understand why it's any of their business where we were going to. It was almost as if we had to have his permission to travel across the border. Then they asked if I had any illegals in the motor home. If they truly suspect something doesn't it seem logical they should look? After all I could easily hide 50 Mexicans in here. After 6 check points in 2 days it got a little tiresome. I have to wonder that these check points really accomplish. I'm sure that anyone bringing illegals across the border would know where they were and avoid them. I have a feeling it's all about looking busy? I have a feeling people living near the border are going to get very tired of this.

Anyway the beach is beautiful, the shrimp are fresh, the people are friendly, but please don't come down! We want it all for ourselves!

Michael
2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT motorcycle on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Old 03-06-2008, 06:13 AM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
LOL@Michael, was it you that started all the rumors?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #23

Maybe I have a warped sense of humor. The biggest fear of the snow birds who have been down here this winter is the American College students who are arriving today!

Life is tough down here, but the ocean is beautiful, temperatures in the mid 70's, sunsets are fantastic, shrimp are fresh, and the beer is cold and cheap. If it wasn't for those naked college girls who arrived today, it would be perfect!

I hope you all appreciate the supreme sacrafice we are making by being here.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #24

Ha! Vegascpl...most excellent humor. Si

Your recent experience just to GET to that beautiful Rocky Point...that's what has us buffalo'd right now.

Stay coool dear friends.
Cheers!

Old 03-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
misunderstood the thread!

sorry

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:25 AM   #26

Hello VegasCpl...think I see your (?) reviews in www.campgroundreviews.com, for the Rocky Point RV park! Cool!
Thanks so much for sharing. Cheers!