Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #1

If anyone who travels down into Baja for the winter hasnt seen this, I thought I'd pass it along.

I had told a good friend we were planning on wintering down there and they forwarded me this. It seems like the trickle down affect has really snowballed in Baja and should be noted for us RVers

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080105/...tened_tourists

Be safe

Pat

Every Miles A Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #2

If anyone who travels down into Baja for the winter hasnt seen this, I thought I'd pass it along.

I had told a good friend we were planning on wintering down there and they forwarded me this. It seems like the trickle down affect has really snowballed in Baja and should be noted for us RVers

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080105/...tened_tourists

Be safe

Pat

Old 01-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Good, folks are finally starting to wise up. Stay out of Mexico!
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the heads up Pat was watching the travel channel last night and had these resorts on, some nice locations I was just wondering if it was safe there.
Thought most of the problems were in MEX not the Baja.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good to see your posting Joe welcome back.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With this sort of press and stories about Mexico, and it seems to becoming worse, I elect to keep my RV and my money on this side of the border.

If enough folks would wise up and stop spending $$$ on the other side of the border, the government might wise up and try to curb the Banditos.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #7

When traveling anywhere you should use caution and Mexico is no exception. That said Mexico is still a safe place to travel when using common sense, Things happen everywhere. We have friends who had their Motorhome hijacked on I 15 in Southern California. We still travel I 15. We had a Policeman shot and killed making a routine traffic stop 1 block from our home in Washington State. People have disappeard from the streets of big cities and small towns all over the U.S. I will travel this year to Nebraska even though a mall was shot up there. The incidents of violent crime in Mexico is lower than the U.S. I would guess the petty crime rate is higher in Mexico. We have met Mexicans when traveling there that have asked us if it is safe to travel in the U.S. If you stay home out of fear you will miss a truly wonderful learning experience.
Continuous Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We are leaving from Canada for Mexico in Friday
as far as I a concerned if you are aware of your surroundings you have nothing to fear but fear itself
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:39 PM   #9

Bob And Deb, let us stateside RVers know how it is from a first hand point of view.

That's what I was looking for, was someone who has been down there recently and knows first hand.

Sure things can happen everywhere, but with it being another country, I'd be so cautious, it might not be that fun of a journey

Pat

Old 02-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Until I've seen all of the US I have no reason to go to Mexico. If something happens down there, your fault, their fault or nobodies fault, think you'll get the same treatment and rights that you have in the US?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">... if you are aware of your surroundings you have nothing to fear but fear itself ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
be real careful in Baja if thats your only 'weapon', they are more aware of you then you of them while vacationing down there,

i've lived here on the border for many decades .. have surfed, ate, boated, hunted, drank, shopped, loved, and lived, rv'd there on many excursions,
and in the past couple years it has become dangerous and i don't care how aware you are of your surroundings , it is different now i feel

the drug wars, the migration, the common occurance of kidnapping, ... just be careful,
i for one am going to see Alaska, the Northeast, newYork, Florida, etc... before i risk trying to talk the Consulate into getting my wife or kids out of hock
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #12

Y'all, FatDog is right. DH and I have worked back and forth across the border (San Diego area) in our corporate lives for decades.

Things have changed: don't know how to articulate it any clearer. The good folks/friends are still there...however there are new predators now...and these folks are not our friends.

2007 Fleetwood Southwind 32V w/Ford V10
Bludog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:01 AM   #13

I can't seem to access the link.

Do you think travel would be ok with a caravan or another camper?

Instead of trying to find the meaning of life, live a life with meaning
amy5708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:38 AM   #14

We were at the dentist in Mexico on Thursday. We are going to Puerto Penasco the first of March for 3 weeks. We've been going to Mexico for 20+ years usually for a least a month a year. Never had any kind of problem. That doesn't mean you can do stupid things. It also doesn't mean that Mexicans laws don't apply to you just because you live in the US. As long as you use appropriate caution as you would in any US location you'll be just fine.

However, the current campaign of hate against Mexicans in the US has be to changing some attitudes in Mexico. They really need touism for their economy, but US politics has to be changing their attitudes. That probably explains the difference some have mentioned.

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Vegascpl is offline   Reply With Quote