Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding UT reciprocity and CO. If the UT CWC permit is a nonresident permit CO does not honor it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2017, 02:08 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately I live in upstate New York (the nice part) and any law our moron governor can't get passed at midnight in the legislature, he makes as a departmental rule with the same effect as a law. It does seem like more and more states are realizing that law abiding citizens are not the problem
Orionfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #17

Most of the conversation is about concealed carry, but if the weapon is left inside the RV wouldn't be your home and not considered concealed carry?
Old 03-05-2017, 02:20 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
Most of the conversation is about concealed carry, but if the weapon is left inside the RV wouldn't be your home and not considered concealed carry?
Except once it heads down the road, it is considered a vehicle and those laws apply.
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtj60 View Post
Except once it heads down the road, it is considered a vehicle and those laws apply.
That answered my question. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:51 AM   #20
IC2

Since the OP is from NY, he all to well knows about the 1911 Sullivan Act and the ridiculous 2013 SAFE law enacted by our #### governor - both of which are designed to satisfy some fringe elements. But with that said, NJ and CT might be even worse, especially for folks who carry a handgun. Don't without a permit. We carry a legal length 20 gauge 'scatter' gun loaded with bird or skeet shot. Might not kill an intruder but will really mess up their day. Yes, I do keep it out of site. No, I'm not overjoyed with feeling that the US has, in some areas, gotten too lawless that these weapons are felt to be needed. Yes, I do believe it's the drug culture driving that lawlessness.

OK - the soapbox has been safely stored until the next time
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #21

Best answer has been said before... Check State laws before you go there... I do...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:05 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I don't want to spark a political discussion but am now wondering if it really is that dangerous to RV in the US. I've travelled to many cities on business over the years, did the CA, OR and WA coasts a long time ago and even lived in Pittsburgh for a couple years. Recently toured WA and OR in MH; never felt unsafe but this thread and a few others have me worried about our plans to start snowbirding next year. Have I been blind? Is it really that dangerous?
Old 03-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #23

Is it really that dangerous? No. But bad things happen to good people and you never know when trouble will find you. You carry insurance on your home, car and motor home? Why? I carry protection for the same reason.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by iawia View Post
I don't want to spark a political discussion but am now wondering if it really is that dangerous to RV in the US. I've travelled to many cities on business over the years, did the CA, OR and WA coasts a long time ago and even lived in Pittsburgh for a couple years. Recently toured WA and OR in MH; never felt unsafe but this thread and a few others have me worried about our plans to start snowbirding next year. Have I been blind? Is it really that dangerous?
I am along the same lines as the above poster. I am a fan of self reliance. I am prepared for emergency situations be it a fire, snow storm, power loss, personal protection, vehicle break down, flat tire, ect.

I bought new dually chains when I got my new pick up and have chains for my trailer. My plan is to never use them, but I have them if I get in a situation I need them.

I have a fire extinguisher in my vehicles and my house. I have only used one in a personal situation one time, over 20 years ago. I hope not to have to use one again, but I have them if I need them.

I have a spare tire, jacks and tools for my truck and trailer. I have yet to need them in 100,000 + miles, but I still have them incase I need them.

A firearm is no different, it is just another tool. It is another tool I hope to NEVER use in defense, but I still have them incase I need them.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:02 AM   #25

I'm 70 years old and have never had to defend myself with a gun. My wife (age to be secret ) has had to pull her gun once when confronted by a man with apparently evil intentions in a women's restroom in Texas. She didn't use it because he beat a hasty retreat. I don't know if I'd have her today had she not been armed. My theory is once in a lifetime is enough. I'm armed wherever it's legal to be.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:54 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Charad View Post
What about shotguns? I have a lovely 20 Guage I use for PP here in AK. Legal to transport through Canada too unless you don't use their declaration form. Sadly I will be selling my trusty .357 because it's harder to transport through Canada. OBTW, when transporting through Canada, your weapon isn't for PP. It's for shooting skeet or transporting through to US. Shotguns should be legal in all states, right?
i have a youth model 20 ga small but packs a punch
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:07 AM   #27

Like many I have a ccw permit, but really rely on our 20 ga shotgun.
A. Wife is more comfortable shooting it, point and shoot. if they are in the MH little chance of missing.
I love my handgun but so many different rules make it difficult to legally carry from stste to state.
For us it is the 20 ga, I also carry a 17 cal varmit rifle, mostly for fun if boondocking some place safe to shoot and plink.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #28

X2. Have same 20 gauge youth shot gun.
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote